Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help installing windows 7 on a New hard drive

04 Nov 2010   #1
Raist

windows Vista x64 (currently)
 
 
Help installing windows 7 on a New hard drive

Hi just have a few questions about installing windows 7 on a brand new hard drive. Well i actually have a few questions so i will give you a little background first.
1. My hard drive failed on me a couple weeks ago and i was ever so intelligent enough NOT to make back-up cd's
2. I am in the process of ordering a new hard drive and need to install windows 7 on it.
3. the system had Vista home Premium 64
Ok so my questions... What version of Win7 should i order? I want home premium again but i dont think i qualify for an upgrade version because my previous version of Vista is completely inaccessible. So do i order the Builders pack/kit because i am installing a new hard drive? Also any helpful tutorials that may help my situation would be great i checked out the tutorials section and well quite frankly i was lost almost as soon as i started looking >.<


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Nov 2010   #2
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Normally I would not suggest this, but since your laptop has an OEM license and the OEM is tied to the motherboard of the laptop, There is a way to modify an upgrade disk to run a full install.

Look into this.
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Like I said before normally I would not suggest anything like this but technically your not breaking the terms of use just slightly bending
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #3
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mckillwashere View Post
Normally I would not suggest this, but since your laptop has an OEM license and the OEM is tied to the motherboard of the laptop, There is a way to modify an upgrade disk to run a full install.

Look into this.
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Like I said before normally I would not suggest anything like this but technically your not breaking the terms of use just slightly bending
Theres nothing abnormal or sinister about this suggestion. Since the OP has a qualifying underlying OS, he's perfectly entitled to use the upgrade disk, the underlying OS doesnt necessarily have to be installed.

Only thing to remember is that the upgrade obsoletes the underlying OS, so OP cant use the old vista license (say via an image or restore disks) while he's using the upgraded win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Nov 2010   #4
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mckillwashere View Post
Normally I would not suggest this, but since your laptop has an OEM license and the OEM is tied to the motherboard of the laptop, There is a way to modify an upgrade disk to run a full install.

Look into this.
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Like I said before normally I would not suggest anything like this but technically your not breaking the terms of use just slightly bending
Theres nothing abnormal or sinister about this suggestion. Since the OP has a qualifying underlying OS, he's perfectly entitled to use the upgrade disk, the underlying OS doesnt necessarily have to be installed.

Only thing to remember is that the upgrade obsoletes the underlying OS, so OP cant use the old vista license (say via an image or restore disks) while he's using the upgraded win7.
Im a sticker for licensing since one of my former employes got our group MSDN banned and all keys revoked... and I have expressed feelings against the use of that method before which is why i clarified
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #5
Raist

windows Vista x64 (currently)
 
 

I cant thank you guys enough will bookmark the thread to come back to it when my hard drive shows up. Last thing i know that some computers with vista installed purchased before a certain date my computers manufacture date is 10/28/09 and i purchased it Very shortly after that (maybe a month). Is it possible i fall under the ones who are ineligible for the upgrade or was this just for "Free" upgrades? Thanks again you guys really are Great!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #6
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

I agree with your thinking, one must abide by the license. Fortunately, its perfectly legal to clean install win7 on a blank hard disk as long as one is licensed for the underlying OS. Just FYI, you can read here.

Microsoft Says Windows 7 Install Workaround Is Legal - PCWorld
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #7
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Yes I agree with that decision, its just when its people having built new pcs and an upgrade "on accident"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #8
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Raist View Post
I cant thank you guys enough will bookmark the thread to come back to it when my hard drive shows up. Last thing i know that some computers with vista installed purchased before a certain date my computers manufacture date is 10/28/09 and i purchased it Very shortly after that (maybe a month). Is it possible i fall under the ones who are ineligible for the upgrade or was this just for "Free" upgrades? Thanks again you guys really are Great!
It was just free upgrades... MS is a corporation they will take your money regardless XD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #9
Raist

windows Vista x64 (currently)
 
 

Wonderful wonderful you guys are just Great Kudos to both of you and Thank you again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #10
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Raist View Post
Last thing i know that some computers with vista installed purchased before a certain date my computers manufacture date is 10/28/09 and i purchased it Very shortly after that (maybe a month). Is it possible i fall under the ones who are ineligible for the upgrade or was this just for "Free" upgrades?
Gateway, like other vendors was offering free win7 upgrade if the computer was purchased between june 26, 2009 and jan 31, 2010. But only certain models were eligible, you need to check at the gateway site or contact their support.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help installing windows 7 on a New hard drive




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need Help Installing Windows 7 on New Hard Drive
I have a single computer at my business that is still working but it has a corrupt windows component store and I have tried different Microsoft FixIt’s, Sfc /scannow and I even tried doing a repair install of Windows 7 but it failed multiple times. I know I could just do a clean install BUT...
Installation & Setup
Hard drive appears wiped after installing Windows 7 to another drive
Hey all, somehow my 1TB hard drive was wiped out and I've lost 930GB worth of files from the past 8 years. I don't have any backups (stupid me). My hard drive contains lots of family vacation photos and videos, old school projects I'll need in the future, and loads of other really important stuff....
Hardware & Devices
Installing windows on a second hard drive
Hi all, I want to install a second copy of windows 7 on an internal HDD. I have inserted the windows disk, pressed F11 an selected `boot from dvd. when i get to the screen where it asks which drive I want to install to, only my C drive with my existing windows is showing?? The hard...
Installation & Setup
Installing two Windows on a hard drive
I have Windows XP Pro installed on my SONY laptop. It is in English. I want to install another Windows XP in a different language, on a separate partition. Can I do this, or does MS Windows demand to be installed on the C: drive?
Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 7 on 80 GB Hard drive
Well my old hard drive with 750 GB burned down. So i took out a other hard drive with 80 GB. I am currently running on Windows XP. And i was thinking to re-install Windows 7. Is it ok to install it on 80 GB? Or will it have performance issues? Check systems specs for more information. NOTE:...
Installation & Setup
Re-installing Windows 7 if hard drive is corrupted
Hi, Been having some problems with my pc and am on the verge of a full hard-drive reformat and might replace the motherboard at the same time. Should say that because of the problems I can't actually get in to Windows - stuck in the BIOS stage. Where do I stand with my Windows 7 licence...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App