Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Should i upgrade to Windows 7 64-Bit?

19 Nov 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 
Should i upgrade to Windows 7 64-Bit?

I was just wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from 32-Bit to 64-Bit?
Only reason im asking is because i have 4GB of Memory but because of the limitations on 32-Bit i can only use 3GB.

Would it be worth it?? My System Specs are in my profile.

Any replies would be appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Nov 2010   #2

 
 

Hi, welcome to the forums

To be honest the only advantage you'll see of upgrading is the use of ALL 4gb of memory. I've had 64bit running perfectly well on a 3gb machine and didn't notice ANY difference in the performance or behavior.


OS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
Hi, welcome to the forums

To be honest the only advantage you'll see of upgrading is the use of ALL 4gb of memory. I've had 64bit running perfectly well on a 3gb machine and didn't notice ANY difference in the performance or behavior.


OS
Hey Thanks

Well the reason I want to upgrade is because I use this program for one of my classes and its really memory dependent so its kind of slower on my home computer compared to my computer in class which is a 64-Bit with the 4GB of memory. So I was wondering if that extra 1GB of memory would help with that or if its my processor.

Also would the upgrade improve my performance while playing games?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Nov 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

I upgraded to 64bit with 4GBRAM and was pleasantly surprised at the difference. I have had no issues with programs. I recommend the upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2010   #5

7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

What type of work do you do?
I just got a 64 bit system at work, I've had a 32 bit system with 4GB (3.5 usable) and moved to a 64bit with 4GB for testing of our applications, drivers, etc.

Honestly, no difference in the day to day things I do. Network admin, Office files, etc.

If what you do could use the extra RAM...I say go for it. You're also future proofing yourself...
But to just have it, it's your money and time...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Mattjv23, welcome to Seven Forums!



Make an image of your present OS, give 64-bit a try and if you don't like what you get put the old 32-bit image back, you will have lost nothing at all.

Imaging with free Macrium



Don't enter an activation key during the 64-bit install and you will have 120 days to 'play' er make up your mind before you have to activate.

Activation Trial Period - Extend Up to 120 Days
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dajogejr View Post
What type of work do you do?
I just got a 64 bit system at work, I've had a 32 bit system with 4GB (3.5 usable) and moved to a 64bit with 4GB for testing of our applications, drivers, etc.

Honestly, no difference in the day to day things I do. Network admin, Office files, etc.

If what you do could use the extra RAM...I say go for it. You're also future proofing yourself...
But to just have it, it's your money and time...
I work with this program called ArcGIS. Its usually fast but when im loading alot of data into it'll slow down a bit on my computer but on my school PC it doesn't.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello Mattjv23, welcome to Seven Forums!



Make an image of your present OS, give 64-bit a try and if you don't like what you get put the old 32-bit image back, you will have lost nothing at all.

Imaging with free Macrium



Don't enter an activation key during the 64-bit install and you will have 120 days to 'play' er make up your mind before you have to activate.

Activation Trial Period - Extend Up to 120 Days
Thats actually a good idea! Thank you!
After i make that image i can just restore back to my OS right?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roban View Post
I upgraded to 64bit with 4GBRAM and was pleasantly surprised at the difference. I have had no issues with programs. I recommend the upgrade.
Thats what my cousin said after he upgraded.
He said i should do it to.

Thanks for all the replies! Really helpful.

One last question. Is there a way to keep my programs i have installed? i know i can backup my files but i want to keep certain programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mattjv23 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello Mattjv23, welcome to Seven Forums!



Make an image of your present OS, give 64-bit a try and if you don't like what you get put the old 32-bit image back, you will have lost nothing at all.

Imaging with free Macrium



Don't enter an activation key during the 64-bit install and you will have 120 days to 'play' er make up your mind before you have to activate.

Activation Trial Period - Extend Up to 120 Days
Thats actually a good idea! Thank you!
After i make that image i can just restore back to my OS right?
You're welcome, that's correct.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Should i upgrade to Windows 7 64-Bit?





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33