Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hang during setup

08 Jun 2009   #1

Windows Vista x64
 
 
Hang during setup

I've been searching the posts here and haven't found anyone with the same problem I'm having, so thought I'd create a new post. When setting up Windows 7, the DVD boots up correctly, the Windows 7 x64 setup starts and hangs with only the background image and mouse cursor on screen. I am able to move the mouse cursor, but clicking (left and right) anywhere on the screen does nothing. No other boxes ever come up. I've tried from multiple image downloads and re-burned the DVD a few times, same issue every time.

Before setup I did a fresh re-format of my HD, so no dual booting here. My system specs are:

Asus P5N-D motherboard, nForce 750i chipset, BIOS version 1101
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (no overclocking)
2x Western Digital 750gb SATA2 HD's (RAID 0, 1 partition of 1.5tb)
8gb Corsair Viper DDR2-800 RAM
2x nVidia 8800GT 1gb video, SLI
2x DVD burner (16x and 18x)

I've also attempted setup from both DVD drives. This system was running Vista x64 perfectly before the format, everything worked 100%.

I also considered the possibility this may have something to do with heat, so to eliminate this possibility I grabbed a case with built in liquid cooling. This brought CPU temp down, but Windows 7 setup still has the same issue.

I also used the same DVD's to attempt to install Windows 7 on a different PC (Asus A8R-MVP motherboard using ATI Xpress 200 chipset) and setup tried to work, but couldn't find drivers to recognize the SATA controller so no HD's were detected. At least it got further than this system did.

Any ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golddragon732 View Post
I've been searching the posts here and haven't found anyone with the same problem I'm having, so thought I'd create a new post. When setting up Windows 7, the DVD boots up correctly, the Windows 7 x64 setup starts and hangs with only the background image and mouse cursor on screen. I am able to move the mouse cursor, but clicking (left and right) anywhere on the screen does nothing. No other boxes ever come up. I've tried from multiple image downloads and re-burned the DVD a few times, same issue every time.

Before setup I did a fresh re-format of my HD, so no dual booting here. My system specs are:

Asus P5N-D motherboard, nForce 750i chipset, BIOS version 1101
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (no overclocking)
2x Western Digital 750gb SATA2 HD's (RAID 0, 1 partition of 1.5tb)
8gb Corsair Viper DDR2-800 RAM
2x nVidia 8800GT 1gb video, SLI
2x DVD burner (16x and 18x)

I've also attempted setup from both DVD drives. This system was running Vista x64 perfectly before the format, everything worked 100%.

I also considered the possibility this may have something to do with heat, so to eliminate this possibility I grabbed a case with built in liquid cooling. This brought CPU temp down, but Windows 7 setup still has the same issue.

I also used the same DVD's to attempt to install Windows 7 on a different PC (Asus A8R-MVP motherboard using ATI Xpress 200 chipset) and setup tried to work, but couldn't find drivers to recognize the SATA controller so no HD's were detected. At least it got further than this system did.

Any ideas?
Hey. Welcome to SF.
First thing that comes to mind is the dvd. Is it from M$, burned the image how? has this dvd worked on other boxes?

The more info the better.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2009   #3

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Build 7268.0.090701-1900
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hey. Welcome to SF.
First thing that comes to mind is the dvd. Is it from M$, burned the image how? has this dvd worked on other boxes?

The more info the better.

Ken

I agree with this 100%, it sounds like you have a bad disc. Re-burn at 2x, and also try the thumb-drive install method - i've seen this have alot higher sucessrate than burning on discs. Also, download more than once, and try both downloads.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Jun 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
I agree with this 100%, it sounds like you have a bad disc. Re-burn at 2x, and also try the thumb-drive install method - i've seen this have alot higher sucessrate than burning on discs. Also, download more than once, and try both downloads.

Maybe burn with a diff app
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2009   #5

Windows 7 x64
 
 

How long did you wait once you're at the screen with the mouse cursor and the background image? I have this same problem, but if I wait ~5 minutes at the point where you're at, it will go ahead and install (there's another ~5 minute later during the install too).

You might just want to try again and give it more time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2009   #6

Windows Vista x64
 
 

Since I work for a MS vendor, I downloaded the ISO image from an internal MS site. To burn it, it went through Nero 8, nothing fancy there. The same disk worked perfectly when used on a different PC, so I'm not thinking the disk is the problem, but you never know. I'm liking the idea of installing from a thumb drive, I'll give that a shot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2009   #7

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Remove as much ram as possible down to say 1 or 2 GB. Remove one the graphics cards too and then give it a try. Reinstall ram and card if Windows 7 install is successful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2009   #8

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Build 7268.0.090701-1900
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golddragon732 View Post
Since I work for a MS vendor, I downloaded the ISO image from an internal MS site. To burn it, it went through Nero 8, nothing fancy there. The same disk worked perfectly when used on a different PC, so I'm not thinking the disk is the problem, but you never know. I'm liking the idea of installing from a thumb drive, I'll give that a shot.

i've had absolute horrible luck downloading internally and burning. go to the burn lab in 37, they'll hook you up with a decent burned build.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hang during setup




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33