Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP SmartArray 642 Controller - Not recognised


09 Jun 2009   #1

Win XP
 
 
HP SmartArray 642 Controller - Not recognised

Hi All,

I am trying to install the RC of Windows 7 to an old server that has an HP
SmartArray 642 RAID Controller.

I cannot seem to find any drivers that work for Windows 7 though.

I figured the Win Server 2008 ones would be okay, but no such luck.

Can anyone suggest anything I could try?

Thanks,

Alan.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jun 2009   #2

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Build 7268.0.090701-1900
 
 

Curious, doesen't the M$ website let you download Server SKU's?

Either way, Windows 7 ultimate should install fine on virtually any Server you throw at it. It should also pick up your RAID device drivers without a problem. Is it not seeing it? what's the symptoms?

if your forced to download any third party drivers, Vista drivers should work across the board. Just make sure you get the proper 32/64bit that matches your OS configuration.

When you did the install, how did it go?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2009   #3

Win XP
 
 

Hi antalgebra,

First, thank you for your response.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
Curious, doesen't the M$ website let you download Server SKU's?
At the risk of following a red-herring:

I think you can, but the 'Server SKUs' for Windows 7 would effectively be Server 2008 R2 unless I am mistaken.

Win Server 2008 is 64-bit only I think, so I wouldn't be able to use that anyway.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
Either way, Windows 7 ultimate should install fine on virtually any Server you throw at it. It should also pick up your RAID device drivers without a problem. Is it not seeing it? what's the symptoms?
Windows 7 advises that it cannot see any drives (storage).

It then suggests that if third-party drivers are required, to browse for them.

This is nothing new in the big picture sense. If you go back to the 'XP' days then you used to have to hit F6 (if I recall correctly) to supply drivers for many RAID controllers.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
if your forced to download any third party drivers, Vista drivers should work across the board. Just make sure you get the proper 32/64bit that matches your OS configuration.
That's what I thought. I tried the Vista / Server 2008 drivers, but it still would not recognise the storage.

I also tried the XP / Server 2003 drivers (why not) but no go on those either.

This is a 32-bit machine so everything (OS and drivers) that I have tried have been all 32-bit.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
When you did the install, how did it go?
Given that I cannot get Windows 7 to recognise any storage, I can't install anything as there is nowhere to install to at this point - hence the issue ;-)


I guess I was hoping someone here may have run into this already and found a way around.

The 642 controller is (was) one of the most common entry level controllers a few years back so I was expecting Windows 7 to be happy with it, but maybe it just doesn't have drivers for any real servers (rather than true desktops).


I'm happy to try absolutely anything at this point - there is nothing to be lost as this is just an old spare server with nothing on it.

Thanks again,

Alan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Jun 2009   #4

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Build 7268.0.090701-1900
 
 

ok, three last things before I pronounce your server 'unwinsevanable', if anything, it might jog your memory to what is goings on.

Are you sure your disk drive works, and is recognized/enabled in the bios?
have you switched the physical disks with one that setup would have an easier time finding?
Lastly, go ahead and try the 64bit version, it might surprise you and actually work.

Also, aside from the server, have you gotten a chance to put it on a client machine, and mess around with it yet?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2009   #5

Win XP
 
 

Hi,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
ok, three last things before I pronounce your server 'unwinsevanable', if anything, it might jog your memory to what is goings on.
{Grin}


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
Are you sure your disk drive works, and is recognized/enabled in the bios?
Good question. Yes - I had a 'play around' install of Win Server 2003 on there until a week ago, and it was working fine so definitely no physical issues with the underlying drives, nor the RAID controller.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
have you switched the physical disks with one that setup would have an easier time finding?
No, but that would be my 'last resort'.

To be honest, at that point, I would probably just chuck it onto an old PC. The main reason to use the old server is that it will cope with being left on 24 / 7 for when I want to dip in and out without having to boot it up each time.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
Lastly, go ahead and try the 64bit version, it might surprise you and actually work.
Doubtful as the processor is neither 64-bit nor does it have 'Hardware Virtualisation' capability. It is a few years old to be fair. Securable reports it as 32-bit and not HV capable too.

However, no reason not to try it, so I will get the 64-bit version downloaded and give it a go.

Chances of 64-bit drivers working are remote if I can't get 32-bit ones too.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antalgebra View Post
Also, aside from the server, have you gotten a chance to put it on a client machine, and mess around with it yet?
Not yet - this was my first try.

As I said above, worst case I'll just try it on another machine, but something inside of me hates letting go of a good challenge!


Thanks again,

Alan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP SmartArray 642 Controller - Not recognised




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33