Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD card fresh installation - Program files


14 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
SSD card fresh installation - Program files

Hi Gang,

I have a 64GB SSD which Windows 7 is currently installed.

The problem I am having is that the SSD card is filling up with all my program files.

I do have a 1TB 7,200rpm data disk and I have been installing some programs to that.

My questions are :
  • Does installing 64bit programs to a seperate disk affect their functionality ?
  • Can I physically move the program files to another disk ?
Any feedback most appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Dec 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

You can, but it's not recommended. Programs write registry keys which integrate them into the OS.

Every backup image made should have the additional programs partition included so that you can reimage them together, unlike User filies being separated out to another partition which is a practical way to keep them current if you reimage the OS partition.

Have you moved your User files to another HD partition? User Folders - Change Default Location
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #3

 

Check out the below link, symbolic links will help you re-direct your stuff (transparently to the programs and OS).

How to create symbolic link in windows 7 Windows 7 Home
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Dec 2010   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I would reinstall the "biggies" and direct them to a folder on the 1TB HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Hi Gang,

I would like to say "A BIG THANK YOU" to all of you that have responded so far.
I am looking through your very useful suggestions and will keep you updated on my findings.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can, but it's not recommended. Programs write registry keys which integrate them into the OS.

Every backup image made should have the additional programs partition included so that you can reimage them together, unlike User filies being separated out to another partition which is a practical way to keep them current if you reimage the OS partition.

Have you moved your User files to another HD partition? User Folders - Change Default Location
@gregrocker - I am in the process of doing just that as you suggested .. Thanks for the heads up...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
Check out the below link, symbolic links will help you re-direct your stuff (transparently to the programs and OS).

How to create symbolic link in windows 7 Windows 7 Home
@ccatlett1984 - Very usefull and something I will look into further. THANKS !

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I would reinstall the "biggies" and direct them to a folder on the 1TB HDD.
@whs - To verify, when installing a "biggie" do I just install it to my 1TB drive in a new folder e.g. "Games" ? - Thanks for your input !

You guys rock !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Zippler, welcome to Seven Forums!



This tutorial at the link below will help you free up some space on the SSD; you can install any program/app to the HDD instead and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

How to Free Up and Recover Hard Drive Space




When next you do a clean install you may care to have a look at this one.

User Profiles - Create and Move During Windows 7 Installation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
@whs - To verify, when installing a "biggie" do I just install it to my 1TB drive in a new folder e.g. "Games" ? - Thanks for your input !

yes, just choose that folder during the installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello Zippler, welcome to Seven Forums!
@ Bare Foot Kid, thanks for the welcome and for your useful feedback. I will keep you posted.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
yes, just choose that folder during the installation.
@ whs - Thanks for clarifying that for me...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD card fresh installation - Program files




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33