Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to format before upgrade?

25 Dec 2010   #1
johnnydaman

windows vista home premium 64bit
 
 
How to format before upgrade?

I just got windows 7 home premium and before i install it i want to reformat vista. How do i do this? I have a toshiba laptop.

also, when i do this and i put the windows 7 disk in what do i do? do i just follow instructions?

thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Dec 2010   #2
maranello

Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise
 
 

take a look at this tutorial, it will show you step by step instructions

Clean Install Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #3
johnnydaman

windows vista home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maranello View Post
take a look at this tutorial, it will show you step by step instructions

Clean Install Windows 7
i got the upgrade though, will that help and will it delete everything like i have windows 7 brand new with no files from vista at all? will it also speed up my laptop by deleting everything? sorry now i dont know a lot about computers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Dec 2010   #4
johnnydaman

windows vista home premium 64bit
 
 

also, what do i do to do this? do i turn on my computer then install or does a window come up at boot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnnydaman View Post

i got the upgrade though, will that help and will it delete everything like i have windows 7 brand new with no files from vista at all? will it also speed up my laptop by deleting everything? sorry now i dont know a lot about computers
The upgrade disk is all you need to do a completely clean install--you can wipe your drive clean so there are no traces of Vista.

Back up your personal files before you start, including email and bookmarks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #6
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #7
johnnydaman

windows vista home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnnydaman View Post

i got the upgrade though, will that help and will it delete everything like i have windows 7 brand new with no files from vista at all? will it also speed up my laptop by deleting everything? sorry now i dont know a lot about computers
The upgrade disk is all you need to do a completely clean install--you can wipe your drive clean so there are no traces of Vista.

Back up your personal files before you start, including email and bookmarks.
thanks i dont need any files i just want vista completely gone.

when do i put in the windows 7 disk? do i put it in while i am using the computer normally or do i put it in, shut the computer down and do it at boot?

by removing vista, my it also speed up my laptop?

can you please answer, i dont want to messs it up...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnnydaman View Post

thanks i dont need any files i just want vista completely gone.

when do i put in the windows 7 disk? do i put it in while i am using the computer normally or do i put it in, shut the computer down and do it at boot?

by removing vista, my it also speed up my laptop?

can you please answer, i dont want to messs it up...
Go into the BIOS and set your PC to boot from the DVD drive first, before the hard drive. Put in the Windows 7 disc. Reboot. The PC should then boot from the installation disc and you will come to the installation menu.

Read the tutorials.

It might improve performance a bit compared to Vista, but don't expect a major difference in speed. If you have performance/speed issues, there are probably other causes than the operating system itself. Maybe you just have an underpowered laptop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #9
johnnydaman

windows vista home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnnydaman View Post

thanks i dont need any files i just want vista completely gone.

when do i put in the windows 7 disk? do i put it in while i am using the computer normally or do i put it in, shut the computer down and do it at boot?

by removing vista, my it also speed up my laptop?

can you please answer, i dont want to messs it up...
Go into the BIOS and set your PC to boot from the DVD drive first, before the hard drive. Put in the Windows 7 disc. Reboot. The PC should then boot from the installation disc and you will come to the installation menu.

Read the tutorials.

It might improve performance a bit compared to Vista, but don't expect a major difference in speed. If you have performance/speed issues, there are probably other causes than the operating system itself. Maybe you just have an underpowered laptop.
sorry but how do you get into the bios? i dont even know what it is...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #10
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Start the DVD from Vista, than follow this tutorial:
Custom Install Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to format before upgrade?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrade windows 7 32 bit to 64bit without format?
Hello Recently I decided to upgrade RAM on my PC. Currently I have 2GB of RAM and I wanted to upgrade to at least 4GB, but I need 64bit OS to support that. So, can I upgrade win7 from 32bit to 64bit without format??? thanks for your help in advance
Installation & Setup
Clean Format and Windows 7 Upgrade
Hi. I am about to purchase a new HDD for my laptop. Once installed I am going to perform a clean install of Windows 7 from my Upgrade DVD. As I have already used the product key in my previous installion, will I need to buy another one or activation? Not sure how it works. My laptop...
Windows Updates & Activation
format hard drive using upgrade
i have a retail upgrade version of windows 7 professional x86 am i able to format the hard drive using the disk...i dont want to use it to install windows 7
Installation & Setup
upgrade to 64bit without format
hey, can i upgrade my windows 7 from 32bit to 64bit, without format? thanks.
Installation & Setup
How to format Seven with an upgrade cd?
I want to format Seven and re-install it. But I want to completely wipe out everything that's on it right now. How can I do this with the upgrade CD? Will Seven create backup folders? I would want those removed also during the format. Thanks
Installation & Setup
Format C Drive and install with upgrade disc
Is it possible to use the upgrade disc to format C drive (it has the Windows 7 RC activated, I can also reinstall Windows Vista if I have to), and do a clean install? Thanks,
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App