Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Reinstall


25 Feb 2011   #1
chrisdr

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Windows 7 Reinstall

Hi,

I am about to do Windows 7 repair installation as per this tutorial: Repair Install

One thing concerns me - I am running Windows 7 Ultimate which was upgraded via Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium.

So, when it comes to the activation key, which one do I use? The original Home premium key (and reapply the Anytime Upgrade) or the new Windows Ultimate key?

Thanks

Chris


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #2
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

If you use the original Home premium key, this would most likely downgrade your rig, therefore use your Ultimate key.

What problems are you having with the PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #3
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

I dont think the Anytime upgrade key will work with a repair install. Suggest you use the home premium key, then anytime upgrade to ultimate, then create an image of the system using macrium/acronis/windows backup. That way you wont need to AU each time.

Of course creating an image from a repaired system is far from the perfect choice. If I were in your place, I'd back up my data, gather my app cd's together, do a clean install of the home premium, upgrade, install all the drivers and apps, tweak and then save an image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #4
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello chrisdr, welcome to Seven Forums!


Bill is giving you good advice about doing a clean install then creating an image if the 'repair' doesn't sort the issues you're having and using the image you create you'll never have to do another clean install.

Imaging with free Macrium

If you have a full retail activation key for Ultimate do the clean install with that, you will have a much better, stable system in the end.


After you have copied out or made back-ups of the data you need to save to external media, use Step One of this tutorial at the link below to do a wipe (secure erase) to the entire Hard Disk Drive, running this "clean all" then using the outline in Step Two #2 to create/format and mark Active a single 100GB partition using diskpart will get you the best possible space to do a clean install of Windows 7 to; you can always extend the Windows partition to include the remaining unallocated space on the HDD / SSD or create additional partitions after the installation completes if you choose.

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation


Be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #5
chrisdr

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
If you use the original Home premium key, this would most likely downgrade your rig, therefore use your Ultimate key.

What problems are you having with the PC?
Thanks - It is a bad experience with service pack 1. It failed, and left my machine in a bad state. Tried recommended fixes, but the only alternative seems to be a repair, or reinstall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #6
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Is the Ultimate key full retail or an upgrade key?

Do a Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #7
chrisdr

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
I dont think the Anytime upgrade key will work with a repair install. Suggest you use the home premium key, then anytime upgrade to ultimate, then create an image of the system using macrium/acronis/windows backup. That way you wont need to AU each time.

Of course creating an image from a repaired system is far from the perfect choice. If I were in your place, I'd back up my data, gather my app cd's together, do a clean install of the home premium, upgrade, install all the drivers and apps, tweak and then save an image.
Thanks for the advice, will use the original key, and then do the AU. Doing a backup first, to be safe.

You are correct that a fresh install would be better, but I don't have time to reconfigure everything - it is a development machine, with a lot of tools installed.

Chris
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #8
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

I have added a note in Windows Anytime Upgrade - How to for SP1, take a look.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #9
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

I just recreated this scenario by imaging HP to a partition, using Anytime to Upgrade to Ultimate. The only installer version it will then allow to run a Repair Install is Ultimate. However because I don't have an Anytime Upgrade key (I inserted a full retail Ultimate key in Anytime) I cannot test whether it will accept an Anytime key after Repair Install. This is an unresolved issue which you can test if you want to help others.

To run an Ultimate Repair Install, Back up your files and a Win7 Backup Image externally so you can go back. Unlock all versions if necessary in your installer by extracting the ISO from DVD using ImgBurn, run the ei.cfg removal tool, then burn another DVD with ImgBurn at 4x speed or run the extracted files from the deskstop.

Choose Ultimate version, agree to stay connected to Internet, choose Upgrade install as shown in tutorial.

If it won't allow Anytime Key to activate after Repair Install, you can run another Repair Install which changes version back to Home Premium, by changing the keys shown below to HOMEPREMIUM for the EditionID and Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM for the ProductName, run a Home Premium Upgrade, insert your original HP product key, save an image of HP then Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate with Anytime Key.


http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/how-to-use-regedit.html

If this fails, you can reimage back to Ultimate or clean reinstall Premium to Anytime Upgrade again.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
System Image Recovery
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #10
chrisdr

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I just recreated this scenario by imaging HP to a partition, using Anytime to Upgrade to Ultimate. The only installer version it will then allow to run a Repair Install is Ultimate. However because I don't have an Anytime Upgrade key (I inserted a full retail Ultimate key in Anytime) I cannot test whether it will accept an Anytime key after Repair Install. This is an unresolved issue which you can test if you want to help others.

To run an Ultimate Repair Install, Back up your files and a Win7 Backup Image externally so you can go back. Unlock all versions if necessary in your installer by extracting the ISO from DVD using ImgBurn, run the ei.cfg removal tool, then burn another DVD with ImgBurn at 4x speed or run the extracted files from the deskstop.

Choose Ultimate version, agree to stay connected to Internet, choose Upgrade install as shown in tutorial.

If it won't allow Anytime Key to activate after Repair Install, you can run another Repair Install which changes version back to Home Premium, by changing the keys shown below to HOMEPREMIUM for the EditionID and Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM for the ProductName, run a Home Premium Upgrade, insert your original HP product key, save an image of HP then Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate with Anytime Key.


How to Use Regedit

If this fails, you can reimage back to Ultimate or clean reinstall Premium to Anytime Upgrade again.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
System Image Recovery
Thanks for the help - My first problem is that I don't own a Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) DVD. Trying to do the upgrade using my Home Premium disc fails - Can't upgrade from Ultimate to Home Premium.

So, I need to get a Windows 7 Ultimate (X64) DVD before proceeding.

Thanks

Chris
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Reinstall




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Reinstall
Thread Forum
Uninstall to reinstall or just reinstall cs5 premiere pro Software
I just have to Reinstall Windows Browsers & Mail
Reinstall windows 7 Installation & Setup
Cant reinstall windows 7 Installation & Setup
Windows 7 reinstall General Discussion
How can I reinstall IE in windows seven? Browsers & Mail
Reinstall Windows 7? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App