Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win7 Japan to US-EN

23 Mar 2011   #1
gpawood2

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 
Win7 Japan to US-EN

I just purchased a Dell 9100 XPS but with Win7 Ultimate Japan OS, thinking I could just load a language pack and all would be good. Well, now I think I need native US-EN installed instead, for a lot of reasons. Can I 7reinstall Win7 for US-EN and use the same key I have for my currently installed Win7 Japan OS? Since I did not get a Win7 disk from Dell (not sure why), can I use one of my other Win7 CDs?
thanks so much for any guidance,
tommie c


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Mar 2011   #2
Orbital Shark

 
 

Hi, welcome to the forums

Firstly you wont be able to install Windows 7 Ultimate EN-US using the Japanese Key, it's linked directly with the language for thet OS and will fail activation.

Secondly can you please explain why installing a language pack is not an option. You should be able to download the EN-US pack which will set you're entire OS to the EN-US language.


OS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2011   #3
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
Hi, welcome to the forums

Firstly you wont be able to install Windows 7 Ultimate EN-US using the Japanese Key, it's linked directly with the language for thet OS and will fail activation.

Secondly can you please explain why installing a language pack is not an option. You should be able to download the EN-US pack which will set you're entire OS to the EN-US language.


OS
Hi there
Some Language packs will only install dependant on the specific BASE language.

For example I can install the IS (icelandic) language pack on a base English W7 installation but it won't work on say a Russian base version.

You might find that English won't install on a Japanese base version -- but rather irritatingly in your case you'll probably find that you CAN install Japanese on to the base English version --haven't actually tried this but in Windows update the Japanese language pack is an optional download so I assume it would work.

Cheers

jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Mar 2011   #4
gpawood2

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 
Win7 Japan to US-EN

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been able to find the US-EN language pack in the Japan OS, even with the assistance of my Japan co-workers. I have some English language on the screen, but mostly Japanese language. Following the guidelines on the MS web in for US-EN, we can't find the same links in the Japanese OS.
To download and install a Windows 7 language pack, follow these steps:
  1. Start Microsoft Update. To do this, click Start, type Microsoft Update in the Start Search box, and then click Microsoft Update in the Programs list.
  2. Click the optional update links for the language packs.
  3. Under the Windows 7 Language Packs category, select the desired language pack.

    Note If you install many additional language packs, the disk space and system performance are affected. In particular, disk space and system performance are affected during servicing operations, such as Service Pack installations. Therefore, we recommend that you only add a language pack to your computer if you will use the language pack.
  4. Click OK, and then click Install updates to start the download and installation process.
No Microsoft Update in the Programs list and No Windows 7 Language Packs category to select.

I'm still in the Japan OS it seems, cause when I had to load a driver for NetGear I had to load the Japanese driver before it would recognize it.

Any suggestions or guidance on how to load the US-EN language would be deeply appreciated.... if it loads the US-EN OS, that would be great.

Thanks for the assist,
tommie c
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2011   #5
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Download Windows 7 MUI Language Packs (Official 32-bit and 64-bit Direct Download Links) » My Digital Life

Might be of help, then again, maybe not

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gpawood2 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been able to find the US-EN language pack in the Japan OS, even with the assistance of my Japan co-workers. I have some English language on the screen, but mostly Japanese language. Following the guidelines on the MS web in for US-EN, we can't find the same links in the Japanese OS.
To download and install a Windows 7 language pack, follow these steps:
  1. Start Microsoft Update. To do this, click Start, type Microsoft Update in the Start Search box, and then click Microsoft Update in the Programs list.
  2. Click the optional update links for the language packs.
  3. Under the Windows 7 Language Packs category, select the desired language pack.

    Note If you install many additional language packs, the disk space and system performance are affected. In particular, disk space and system performance are affected during servicing operations, such as Service Pack installations. Therefore, we recommend that you only add a language pack to your computer if you will use the language pack.
  4. Click OK, and then click Install updates to start the download and installation process.
No Microsoft Update in the Programs list and No Windows 7 Language Packs category to select.

I'm still in the Japan OS it seems, cause when I had to load a driver for NetGear I had to load the Japanese driver before it would recognize it.

Any suggestions or guidance on how to load the US-EN language would be deeply appreciated.... if it loads the US-EN OS, that would be great.

Thanks for the assist,
tommie c
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2011   #6
cluberti

Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

You can install any language on Win7 Ultimate, but you need the full language pack. The link posted by Newt' will provide you with the En-US language pack that will install on Windows 7 jp. You can change languages in the control panel / regional options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2011   #7
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Win7 product keys are not language specific. Having said that, first try out the language pack.

And yes, you can clean install Ultimate with a different disk but you'll need to activate with the COA key- thats the one on the sticker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2011   #8
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

You may liketo take a look at Kari post here:
Language Pack only on ONE user
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2011   #9
gpawood2

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 
'Win7 Japan to US-EN'

Success !! Following the screen shots in the links provided, I was able to install the US-EN language OS and so far so good .... thanks so very much to everyone that replied and helped me solve my problem.

I have been able to load EN programs and drivers for hardware.

tommie c
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2011   #10
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
You can install any language on Win7 Ultimate, but you need the full language pack. The link posted by Newt' will provide you with the En-US language pack that will install on Windows 7 jp. You can change languages in the control panel / regional options.

Hi there

Thanks for that info -- if a FULL language pack is available then it will install.

Some languages are "Partial" language packs in the sense that they will change the display (menus) and help facilities into the target language but they will only install on some specified BASE languages.

For example English WILL install on Russian Windows (Thank goodness !!!! when I'm doing a short piece of work in St. Petersburg).

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win7 Japan to US-EN




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Record 12.8 billion cyberattacks seen in Japan last year
Source A Guy
Security News
Buying a laptop in Japan with English OS
Hello - I am an American expat living in Tokyo,Japan for a couple years. I do not know Japanese very well yet. I am in need of new laptop very soon. I would like it to have an English operating system. It is my understanding that Windows 7 Ultimate is able to operate in 35 languages. If I buy a...
Hardware & Devices
Purchase from CD Japan?
Anybody shop at or buy from CDJapan - Japanese Anime, Jpop, Japanese music, Game music, Japanese movie, CD, DVD. I’m a music collector and looking to get a few hard to find CD’s that CD Japan appears to have but know nothing of them. Anyone have any dealings with them? Thanks
Chillout Room
how can I install Live Messenger in japan menu?
Anybody knows how to make MSN into japanese language or JAP version. I must install it for my client computer. please enlight me. thank you very much
Software
Robo-One Competition from Japan
Androids Dance, Slide and Fight at Robo-One Competition | Gadget Lab | Wired.com Slick !
Chillout Room
Windows 7 preorders begin in the US, Canada, and Japan
Today residents in the US, Canada, and Japan have the opportunity to preorder Windows 7 upgrade versions of both Home Premium and Professional editions for significantly reduced prices. The deal lasts until July 11 in the US and Canada, and until July 5 in Japan. Microsoft emphasizes that this is...
News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App