Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: remove XP bootable partition

21 Apr 2011   #1

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 
remove XP bootable partition

I have a question on deleting my old XP bootable partition. I have this arrangement on one drive:
Primary Logical Primary
XP-SP3....... data........ Win-7 64bit
D: ................ E: .............. C:
The data partition is set up as drive E: and contains multiple files, including "my documents".
XP was on the system 1st, then Win 7 was added.
Both OS’s are bootable and show up and system startup.

I followed the procedure below and when I re-booted Windows 7 it showed my login background wallpaper and userids, but when I logged in to any of them, I got an empty (light-blue) background, no "start" button or task bar and a message in the bottom right corner saying it was not a genuine copy of Windows 7. I did a system restore from images.
My system is now back to where it was before I started.
What did I do wrong??



Procedure I followed (all partitioning done via bootable Partition Wizard):
  1. Deleted the data partition (after saving it elsewhere)
  2. Deleted the XP partition
  3. Moved the Windows 7 partition to 1st position on the drive
  4. Marked the Windows 7 partition active
  5. Tried to run system repair from my original Windows 7 DVD (but it said it did not match the version of the OS I was trying to repair) so I used the system restore disk I made after saving my images (glad I am paranoid enough to have made one)
  6. Ran the system repair 3 times
  7. No luck, so restored all 3 partitions from images.
I also had to delete the E: partition to be able to move the Windows 7 partition to the beginning of the drive (I saved E:'s data on aother drive first).

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Apr 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
 
 

[QUOTE=DocDJ;1360235]Tried to run system repair from my original Windows 7 DVD (but it said it did not match the version of the OS I was trying to repair)[quote]
This happens if you have installed SP1 and you original does not include SP1. Repair will work if you uninstall sp1, run "repair your computer" from the original disk to rebuild boot loader, then reinstall SP1. At least it worked for me.

If you are saying you have also restored the xp partition, use bcdedit freeware to delete it.

If you are not using it, minitool partition wizard works well for partition rearrangement.
Free Partition Magic alternative. Free Partition Manager Software for Windows 7/VISTA/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2000.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #3

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

[QUOTE=gregglee;1360470][QUOTE=DocDJ;1360235]Tried to run system repair from my original Windows 7 DVD (but it said it did not match the version of the OS I was trying to repair)
Quote:
This happens if you have installed SP1 and you original does not include SP1. Repair will work if you uninstall sp1, run "repair your computer" from the original disk to rebuild boot loader, then reinstall SP1. At least it worked for me.

If you are saying you have also restored the xp partition, use bcdedit freeware to delete it.

If you are not using it, minitool partition wizard works well for partition rearrangement.
Free Partition Magic alternative. Free Partition Manager Software for Windows 7/VISTA/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2000.
I did use Partition Wizard (bootable), but it would not slide the Windows 7 Primary partition past my logical partition. Had to delete it first. Still womdering about the other problem (not genuine, etc).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Apr 2011   #4
Microsoft MVP

 

We see the non-genuine lockout after imaging or repartitioning about once per month here. It results from drive letter slippage and is resolved using Paragon Rescue CD as follows: Paragon Rescue -change drive letters.

Since you have your data backed up, I would use Acronis free version (if you have Seagate or WD HD's involved at all), Macrium Reflect, or Paragon 11 freeware to reimage to the first partition space after deleting XP and resizing data to make enough room.

Then after marking Windows 7 active, I'd try the Rebuild MBR tool on PW CD Disk Tab, as it might preclude the need to boot the Windows 7 DVD/Repair CD to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the System Boot Files to Windows 7 and start it up.

If you'll post back a screenshot of your maximized full Disk Mgmt drive map with listings, we can give you the exact steps and see if there are any wild cards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2011   #5

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
We see the non-genuine lockout after imaging or repartitioning about once per month here. It results from drive letter slippage and is resolved using Paragon Rescue CD as follows: Paragon Rescue -change drive letters.

Since you have your data backed up, I would use Acronis free version (if you have Seagate or WD HD's involved at all), Macrium Reflect, or Paragon 11 freeware to reimage to the first partition space after deleting XP and resizing data to make enough room.

Then after marking Windows 7 active, I'd try the Rebuild MBR tool on PW CD Disk Tab, as it might preclude the need to boot the Windows 7 DVD/Repair CD to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the System Boot Files to Windows 7 and start it up.

If you'll post back a screenshot of your maximized full Disk Mgmt drive map with listings, we can give you the exact steps and see if there are any wild cards.
Thanks for the valuable links and tips. I've attached my drivemap so you can see if there are any special problems. Because I am back to using my original system for accessing my work-related data, I can't apply these tips until late May or early June (I teach), when I won't be needing the system for that. I've downloaded the Rescue Kit and will get the Acronis Free too. I suppose I'll have to move my E: logical partition to another drive, so it isn't sitting between XP and 7 (or will Acronis slide 7 across it?).


Attached Files
File Type: doc Drivemap.doc (189.5 KB, 13 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2011   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

It isn't necessary to move your middle Documents partition, just delete XP using PW CD, create a new partition in the space to the left of E, reimage C there.

Boot PW CD, mark Windows 7 partition Active, from Disk tab click Rebuild MBR, see if Windows 7 will start. If not boot the Windows 7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times until Windows 7 starts. Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

This might be able to be accomplished by simply copying the partition using PW CD, since there is no MBR to copy. You can leave the source partition on the HD until you make sure the copy works, as it will be inert once it's System Active flags are transferred to the copy by marking Active and Rebuilding MBR or running Repairs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
 
 

[QUOTE=DocDJ;1360549][QUOTE=gregglee;1360470]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocDJ View Post
I did use Partition Wizard (bootable), but it would not slide the Windows 7 Primary partition past my logical partition. Had to delete it first. Still womdering about the other problem (not genuine, etc).
I have used partition wizard, running from windows, to "slide" a system partition to the beginning of the drive. However I did it in steps rather than queue several steps at once, just be be cautious. 1. move the existing first partition contents then delete the partition. 2. Expand the system partition left (as depicted on the PW display) to the beginning of the drive. 3.(Optional) reduce the system partition from the right side to whatever size you want. I have done this both to the active system partition, and to another inactive system partition in the multiboot. (One advantage of a multiboot system is that you can (carefully) edit or manipulate partitions of another inactive system.

I concur on using acronis for cloning a system to another partition. I used the WD version. I have only used it to move from one drive to another, rather than between partitions on the same drive. Note that acronis, like many apps, installs a startup program that is not straightforward to kill. Not sure what it is for. Uninstall acronis after you are finished to get rid of it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2011   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

I do the same with Acronis, Gregg, although those services can be turned off in Services.msc or msconfig once Acronis is run.

With Acronis installed OP might be able to backup the image, delete XP, create Partition and apply the stored image, all from Windows 7 on C.

What do you think about OP copying C over to first partition using PW CD? I have done this before when the MBR isn't included and it worked fine - even lets you change the drive letter. Others think you must use imaging.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocDJ View Post
I suppose I'll have to move my E: logical partition to another drive, so it isn't sitting between XP and 7 (or will Acronis slide 7 across it?).
I'm not sure where you want Win 7 partition to end up. The simplest approach may be to for example.
1. Use partition Wizard to shrink the freeagentdrive partition on disk 1 to leave unallocated space at the beginning of the drive. You could also use PW change S to a logical partition.
2. Use acronis to clone the Windows 7 system to that unallocated space which creates a new system partition.
3. Use Bios to change boot drive to disk 1. That will assign C: to the Win 7 system and may change drive letters of other drive. Immediately used windows disk management to change the drive letters to match those assigned by XP, to avoid confusion. I assign x, y or z to other systems. e.g when booted in Windows 7, xp is Z, when booted in xp, winz=7 is Z. All other drives same. I include the desired drive letter in the drive name to make housekeeping easy. e.g freeagentdrive s, mydocsplus e. Disk numbers may be different from XP also, but doesn't matter.
4. Rebuild bootloader with bcdedit, Windows 7 install disk repair or tool of your choice. (I haven't personally tried PW for this.)

The great obvious advantage of having systems on different drives is that a drive failure doesn't take out both.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2011   #10

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It isn't necessary to move your middle Documents partition, just delete XP using PW CD, create a new partition in the space to the left of E, reimage C there.

Boot PW CD, mark Windows 7 partition Active, from Disk tab click Rebuild MBR, see if Windows 7 will start. If not boot the Windows 7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times until Windows 7 starts. Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

This might be able to be accomplished by simply copying the partition using PW CD, since there is no MBR to copy. You can leave the source partition on the HD until you make sure the copy works, as it will be inert once it's System Active flags are transferred to the copy by marking Active and Rebuilding MBR or running Repairs.
Thanks. I'll try that when I finish the semester.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 remove XP bootable partition





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: remove XP bootable partition
Thread Forum
Making a Windows partition bootable without a "reserved" partition Installation & Setup
I can't make a bootable partition Installation & Setup
Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD Tutorials
Solved Making a partition bootable Installation & Setup
how can i make my other partition bootable? Installation & Setup
Bootable partition confusion Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33