Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: XP to Win 7 - Partitions Not Being Recognised!


10 Jul 2009   #1

Windows XP SP2
 
 
XP to Win 7 - Partitions Not Being Recognised!

Guys, forgive me as i'm new to all this but have read a 1,000 online help guides and got no where!

I'm currently running Windows XP SP2 and wanting to upgrade to Windows 7. I have set aside a 20GB partition and i'm wanting to make a fresh instal, not fussed about keep XP. I have 2 internal hard drives @ 149GB each. But, Win 7 fails to recognise them even when i have set a partition on the empty HD! It says something like 'setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate existing system partition ' What does this mean? I have a partition CD, cant remember the name now and followed instructions and still got no where! WIN 7 hates me! LOL

Please help guys!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jul 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
partition question

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Guys, forgive me as i'm new to all this but have read a 1,000 online help guides and got no where!

I'm currently running Windows XP SP2 and wanting to upgrade to Windows 7. I have set aside a 20GB partition and i'm wanting to make a fresh instal, not fussed about keep XP. I have 2 internal hard drives @ 149GB each. But, Win 7 fails to recognise them even when i have set a partition on the empty HD! It says something like ' ' What does this mean? I have a partition CD, cant remember the name now and followed instructions and still got no where! WIN 7 hates me! LOL

Please help guys!
in xp can you look at the HD partitons and tell us if they are logical or primary, and if they are set to active, etc

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #3

Windows XP SP2
 
 

bare with me, still on the win 7 install screen, just shutting down the PC to re-boot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Jul 2009   #4

Windows XP SP2
 
 

Right,

My main HD with XP and crap on is BASIC, in fact, both HD's are basic and so is my Partition of 20GB for Win 7 but that one is now Active! But thats not your question is it! LOL, cant see LOGICAL or PRIMARY on the screen!

Now getting ''Error: 0x80300001''
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #5

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
Bsod

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Right,

My main HD with XP and crap on is BASIC, in fact, both HD's are basic and so is my Partition of 20GB for Win 7 but that one is now Active! But thats not your question is it! LOL, cant see LOGICAL or PRIMARY on the screen!

Now getting ''Error: 0x80300001''
If you ever get into win 7 try uploading the BSOD dump file (in c:\windows\minidump) and Im subscribed to this thread so anytime someone posts I get an email. Let me know how its going so I can jump back

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #6

Vista Ult 64bit - Windows 7 Ult 7264 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Right,

My main HD with XP and crap on is BASIC, in fact, both HD's are basic and so is my Partition of 20GB for Win 7 but that one is now Active! But thats not your question is it! LOL, cant see LOGICAL or PRIMARY on the screen!

Now getting ''Error: 0x80300001''
Look at the color code for the drive partitions, there is a color key at the bottom of the Disk Mgmt screen that shows whether they are Primary, Extended, or Logical. To install Windows 7 it must be a Primary partition.

BTW, 20G is a very small partition if you plan on using 7 very much...
My install is 1 week old and already it's down 35G's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #7

Windows XP SP2
 
 

Right, i have made my Win 7 Partition 50GB. Should be more than enough, ps I'm using GParted to do this and saving it as an NTFS format. I have set it to Primary now. Currently waiting 2 hors for the HD to format and move around and create the partition!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
hd format

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Right, i have made my Win 7 Partition 50GB. Should be more than enough, ps I'm using GParted to do this and saving it as an NTFS format. I have set it to Primary now. Currently waiting 2 hors for the HD to format and move around and create the partition!
why does it take 2 hours to format? did you check the quick format box?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #9

Windows XP SP2
 
 

Guys, sorry to keep going on but i'm none the wiser. Been up since 8am and its now 1pm! LOL. I have attached pictures of what i have done. Maybe you can tell me where i'm going wrong!









I'm sooooooooo confused! I have also been searching the forum and knowone else seems to have the problem!

Even the Disc 1 Partition 2 thats Primary does not work!

Also, i was adiment that the x64 ( i think ) would work on the PC, is it worth me trying the 32?

ANY HELP APPRECIATED. Awaiting your responce
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2009   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
patition problem

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Guys, sorry to keep going on but i'm none the wiser. Been up since 8am and its now 1pm! LOL. I have attached pictures of what i have done. Maybe you can tell me where i'm going wrong!









I'm sooooooooo confused! I have also been searching the forum and knowone else seems to have the problem!

Even the Disc 1 Partition 2 thats Primary does not work!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED. Awaiting your responce
OK what are you using to try and use the partitions are you trying to install to that partition? everything looks ok on the disks so it must be something else. tell us what you are trying to do and tell us abt your system.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 XP to Win 7 - Partitions Not Being Recognised!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: XP to Win 7 - Partitions Not Being Recognised!
Thread Forum
How to create home partitions and partitions for the OS with programs? Installation & Setup
Solved Ram not recognised Performance & Maintenance
RAM recognised then Not recognised !! Installation & Setup
Partitions - View Hidden Partitions Tutorials
Only 8 GB Ram recognised of 12 GB Hardware & Devices
trying to get a SSD recognised Hardware & Devices
CDs not recognised Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33