Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).


16 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 
In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).

So first of, 'Hi.' I signed up here cause I thought after days of asking around that this might be the place where I may finally get some questions answered properly.

So, simply put, I recently built my first PC which has both an SSD and a HDD, and I need some help correctly installing Windows 7 to the SSD.

Now I understand some options may need to be changed in the bios? if so, can you please be very precise about where I need to go and what I need to click on and change as I'm seriously lacking knowledge when it comes to this stuff. I can't stress that enough, I've had people just throwing sentences at me that have confused me within the first few words, and they never care to elaborate.

Some people said to change *something* to AHCI mode, but there's two places I've noticed in the bios where I can do this, and no one was specific about which one it was I needed to change.

Also, does it matter which SATA port my SSD is connected to? I have the following ports:

SATA3_M1, White
SATA3_M2, White
SATA3_0, White
SATA3_1, White
SATA2_2, Blue
SATA2_3, Blue
SATA2_4, Blue
SATA2_5, Blue

My SSD is connected to M2, White I believe while the HDD is on 0, White. I can change this if need be.

If I can get help with the above questions, I'd REALLY appreciate it! And if anyone has any additional tips, I'd appreciate them too, but please keep the explainations on 'how to' simple, it would save me having to ask even more questions and going in circles.

Thanks for any help!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

This might be a good place to check: How to install Win7 to new SSD drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

I forgot to mention, I've looked at 'how to' guides, and all the abbreviations and stuff also confuse me. I learn quick, but I need clear explanations.

Already I'm lost reading some of that. I see abbreviations like 'MBR' and terms like 'multi-boot' and I'm clueless.

I just need someone to answer my questions That would help me a lot!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Jun 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Leave your BIOS as default, if you can.(check MOBO manual)
OS should be installed to Disk0.
When installing Windows, only have Disk0 plug in.

Take a look at those Tutorial:
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #5
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 10, 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

In BIOS you have 2 controllers one for the p67 motherboard you have and one for the marvel controller(the ones you listed as M1, M2) I would recommend putting the SSD on sata port 0, white if you are going to install the OS there. I have the same basic setup in bios as you. I have both controllers as AHCI. If you are not using the marvel ports you can set them to disabled-on my board that speeds up boot time. Whichever port you have your SSD on that controller should be set to AHCI. After installing windows, it is a good idea to move your user files to another hard drive. This saves space and protects your personal files in the event of an OS failure. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
User Folders-change location
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Thanks for the replies guys!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
In BIOS you have 2 controllers one for the p67 motherboard you have and one for the marvel controller(the ones you listed as M1, M2) I would recommend putting the SSD on sata port 0, white if you are going to install the OS there. I have the same basic setup in bios as you. I have both controllers as AHCI. If you are not using the marvel ports you can set them to disabled-on my board that speeds up boot time. Whichever port you have your SSD on that controller should be set to AHCI. After installing windows, it is a good idea to move your user files to another hard drive. This saves space and protects your personal files in the event of an OS failure. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
User Folders-change location
So SSD to SATA3_0 right? If I then put my HDD to SATA3_1, where should I put the DVD drive and the SATA cable for external HDD? If I avoid the M1 and M2 as you've pointed out, will speed up my boot time, then should I connect the DVD Drive and External HDD cable on SATA2_2, Blue and SATA2_3, Blue?

As for the AHCI (I don't know what the term 'controllers' means here), I found 2 places where I could set something to AHCI mode. One said 'Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode,' and in there I was able to choose IDE or AHCI. The other said 'SATA Mode,' and in there I was able to choose IDE, AHCI and RAID. Do I set them both to AHCI or not? Or is that even the right place?

Also, I've heard about people deleting something called 'Hibernation Mode' or something, or save space on the SSD, because it's apparently something that isn't used. Is that done via the Windows 7 install, or after the install? any idea about that?

And the moving of the 'user files,' is that just copying one or more folders from the SSD to the HDD?

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 10, 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

You do not have to avoid the Marvel ports. Normally, the main ports on a P67 or in your case Z67 perform better than the Marvel. I don't use them simply because i don't have that many hard drives. If I need more HDs I will use them. The CD/DVD drive will be better on a sata2 ports. The options in bios are what I mentioned. The controller is what controls the ports. You have the native p67 ports ( all ports except the ones you listed as M1, M2) The M1 and M2 ports are controlled by the option you listed a Marvel sata 3 operation mode. The other option is for the native ports listed above (P67).
to turn off hibernate (you will not be able to use hibernate) will save space on the SSD to do that after the install open an elevated command prompt( push start-in the search box type cmd-right click on cmd and select run as administrator). copy and paste this command into the command prompt window powercfg -h off then type exit and the window will close.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
You do not have to avoid the Marvel ports. Normally, the main ports on a P67 or in your case Z67 perform better than the Marvel. I don't use them simply because i don't have that many hard drives. If I need more HDs I will use them. The CD/DVD drive will be better on a sata2 ports. The options in bios are what I mentioned. The controller is what controls the ports. You have the native p67 ports ( all ports except the ones you listed as M1, M2) The M1 and M2 ports are controlled by the option you listed a Marvel sata 3 operation mode. The other option is for the native ports listed above (P67).
to turn off hibernate (you will not be able to use hibernate) will save space on the SSD to do that after the install open an elevated command prompt( push start-in the search box type cmd-right click on cmd and select run as administrator). copy and paste this command into the command prompt window powercfg -h off then type exit and the window will close.
Okay, so I got the SSD on SATA3_0 White, the HDD on SATA3_1 White, the DVD drive on SATA2_2 Blue and the External HDD SATA on SATA2_3 Blue. That should be fine right?

So it's the other option (not the Marvel Sata 3 Operation option) that I need to switch to AHCI yes? and the Marvel one I can now disable as it's not being used right?

With that in place (assuming that's all right), I can just put the disc in an install now? and all other things (moving user files etc.) all the speed-up techniques, ways to keep the SSD running in prime condition etc. are all done after the installation?

And that command prompt for hibernation will delete everything to do with hibernation, or just block it from being used, or...? Because ideally, I'd want to delete anything to do with it to create more space on the SSD right?

Thanks again for your help mate, I really appreciate this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #9
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 10, 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

As far as the hibernation, after that command hibernation will not show up in shutdown options. It disables it.
After installation run WEI soon, windows should do most everythin for you. I always check that defrag is turned off, verify alignment and trim and that's about all. How to do those things will be in the links that theog gave you. You will see and hear many people talk about dozens of tweeks to do. You can tweek the SSD to death and sometimes hurt performance. I've told you what I usually do and nothing more. I believe you have everything else correct. Windows should do proper alignment for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
As far as the hibernation, after that command hibernation will not show up in shutdown options. It disables it.
After installation run WEI soon, windows should do most everythin for you. I always check that defrag is turned off, verify alignment and trim and that's about all. How to do those things will be in the links that theog gave you. You will see and hear many people talk about dozens of tweeks to do. You can tweek the SSD to death and sometimes hurt performance. I've told you what I usually do and nothing more. I believe you have everything else correct. Windows should do proper alignment for you.
Is there no way to delete the files that make hibernation work? or will disabling it do that?

Also, you got me a bit confused. I had to google 'WEI' to see what it was (Windows Experience Index?), think I seen it on my old computer, it gives you a number based on performance of you're systems specifications right? Does it have any other use?

Also, what does 'alignment' do in terms of the Windows OS?

I'll check the links for everything else. Thanks for all the help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: In need of simplified install instructions for SSD (please read).
Thread Forum
How a Firewall works (simplified version). Security Basics
Windows 8 marketing simplified with just 3 versions News
Display IE-9 in Chinese Simplified for one user Browsers & Mail
Media Player in Win7 is a simplified version? Sound & Audio
DVD drive will not read discs since install of W7 Hardware & Devices
Breakdown of Install Issue - Can't read Install CD Installation & Setup
Windows 7 will not install, period. Why? Please read... Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33