Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro


17 Jun 2011   #1

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 
New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro

I tried to use a tutorial from your Windows 7 help and support, titled "Windows 7- Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP", without success. This is a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a possibly failing Seagate drive with Xp Pro on it, so I bought a Western Digital 1TB and a Dell Windows 7 Pro OEM DVD. I did the "7" install first as was recommended by Microsoft but first partitioned (3) the new WD HDD and installed 7 PRO, then read the tutorial, so I unpartitioned the rest of the drive and proceded to "shrink" the remaining to provide a 100 GB partition and followed the tutorial from there. It was supposed to give me the list of partitions on re-boot to choose from and then press F8 to install to that partition, having the install disk in the drive. It instead provides a dual boot option between the two operating systems which are on two separate drives. It offers Windows 7 Pro or the "older OS" but no option to choose the shrunk drive. Do I need to disconnect the old drive to get this tutorial to work?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jun 2011   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You are complicating the matter. Disconnect the failing drive and install Windows 7 normally on the new drive. Then reconnect the failing drive. Now you switch between XP and Windows 7 with the BIOS boot sequence.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #3
Microsoft MVP

 

If you were planning to dual boot XP with Windows 7 on the same HD you should have not only unplugged the old HD first, but also installed the OS's in order of age, with XP installed to a partition you created and formatted using the XP installer, then Windows 7 installed to another partition created and formatted using the Custom install Drive Options given on the booted Windows 7 DVD. Clean Install Windows 7 Windows 7 should configure a Dual Boot menu.

If you wanted them on separate HD's (which you don't say, only that the old HD is failing) then you should have unplugged the old HD during install, after install plug back in the old HD, boot preferred OS HD by setting it as first to boot in BIOS setup, or boot the other HD using the Dell one-time Boot Menu F12 key at boot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Jun 2011   #4
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Prospector, welcome to Seven Forums!


Power down the PC and disconnect the old HDD first, connecting the new HDD to the #1 SATA port of the motherboard and making sure it's set as the second boot device, after the CD/DVD drive in the PC BIOS setup.

If you do want to do it the correct way and install XP first, then install XP to the first partition on the HDD so it will get the C: drive letter so there will be no confusion when installing programs/apps to the XP partition.

After XP is installed and booting good on its own; use this tutorial at the link below to create a partition and install Windows 7 to the created / first partition of the new HDD and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.


Clean Install Windows 7 : Ahead of XP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #5

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 
Too many opinions caused confusion

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
You are complicating the matter. Disconnect the failing drive and install Windows 7 normally on the new drive. Then reconnect the failing drive. Now you switch between XP and Windows 7 with the BIOS boot sequence.
Thank you whs, I tried to do my homework and have gotten multiple opinions but disconnecting the (possibly failing drive) was one that I neglected to do. I will add more to the surfer dude's wonderful welcome in the next post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #6

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello Prospector, welcome to Seven Forums!


Power down the PC and disconnect the old HDD first, connecting the new HDD to the #1 SATA port of the motherboard and making sure it's set as the second boot device, after the CD/DVD drive in the PC BIOS setup.

If you do want to do it the correct way and install XP first, then install XP to the first partition on the HDD so it will get the C: drive letter so there will be no confusion when installing programs/apps to the XP partition.

After XP is installed and booting good on its own; use this tutorial at the link below to create a partition and install Windows 7 to the created / first partition of the new HDD and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.


Clean Install Windows 7 : Ahead of XP
Thank you Bare Foot Kid, In the midst of my confusion, there is one thing that I need to share and find out about. In my Bios, there is SATA 0 and now SATA 1 onboard.The problem that I may still have is this: When changing the boot order, my bios does not list both! It allows you to change the boot order of the one SATA listing. In the "Drives" portion it does allow you to turn each on or off only. Also, I can not find the Microsoft KB article that I was directed to but it basically said that if you install XP first before Windows 7 then something gets deleted by XP and that is why I installed "7" first. My notes are a mess and I have not been able to find the link which I wrote down. Also, I have two days worth of work updating windows 7 and if I do a fresh install again then I have lost a lot of work. I am on a slow dial-up ISP, being disabled makes these things very difficult. Besides, I have not had a good sleep for days with this "mess" that I have been overwhelmed with. Also, Your site will be on my list to read since we serve the same master!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #7
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello again.


When I write #1 SATA I meant the first SATA port of the mobo, some have a port 0 and some don't.


Before you disconnect the "old" HDD please post a snip of Windows 7 disk management for us to look at, to be sure there will be no boot issues when the HDD is no longer connected.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a maximized snip of that.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums




Keep looking up!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2011   #9

Win 7 PRO / Win XP PRO / 32 bit
 
 

Yes, I believe that the dual boot delete was the issue that the Microsoft KB article was warning about. I have not yet looked at the link that you provided but now after about 1.5 hours of sleep, I'm ready to get with it, once more.
Thanks,
David
Bare Foot Kid asked for a screen shot and I believe that I have uploaded 2 different formats I hope that I did as asked. This is my first effort
.
New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro-screen-shot-disk-management.jpg

New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro-screen-shot-disk-management.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Yes, I believe that the dual boot delete was the issue that the Microsoft KB article was warning about. I have not yet looked at the link that you provided but now after about 1.5 hours of sleep, I'm ready to get with it, once more.
Thanks,
David
Bare Foot Kid asked for a screen shot and I believe that I have uploaded 2 different formats I hope that I did as asked. This is my first effort
.
Attachment 160300

Attachment 160301
1) Remove Disk0 (80gb) & replace with Disk1 (1tb)
2) Setup your dual boot.
3) When the dual boot is working OK, plug in the failing HD & Copy/Paste data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: New 7 install on added HDD,Dual Boot XP Pro
Thread Forum
Dual boot disappears after install Installation & Setup
If i install a dual boot(put in XP), will i be able to run my old game Performance & Maintenance
Solved Screwed up XP dual-boot install, now can't boot Vista Installation & Setup
Dual boot - XP won't install Installation & Setup
How to install RTM over RC/XP dual-boot? Installation & Setup
Dual boot: Install XP AFTER W7 Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Install General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33