Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 installation set external HDD as Active (and other problems)


26 Jun 2011   #11
Microsoft MVP

 

You don't need Startup Repair if Windows 7 is booting correctly.

Short of moving the data off to wipe the external and reformat, you may need to manually remove the bootsecting in addition to the Active flag and boot files you've already removed.

I'm looking for the exact command now, to specify the external drive letter. Don't run the one in the TechRepublic thread as 52 is for XP while 60 is for Vista/7.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jun 2011   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You don't need Startup Repair if Windows 7 is booting correctly.

Short of moving the data off to wipe the external and reformat, you may need to manually remove the bootsecting in addition to the Active flag and boot files you've already removed.

I'm looking for the exact command now, to specify the external drive letter. Don't run the one in the TechRepublic thread as 52 is for XP while 60 is for Vista/7.
MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #13

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You don't need Startup Repair if Windows 7 is booting correctly.

Short of moving the data off to wipe the external and reformat, you may need to manually remove the bootsecting in addition to the Active flag and boot files you've already removed.

I'm looking for the exact command now, to specify the external drive letter. Don't run the one in the TechRepublic thread as 52 is for XP while 60 is for Vista/7.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You don't need Startup Repair if Windows 7 is booting correctly.

Short of moving the data off to wipe the external and reformat, you may need to manually remove the bootsecting in addition to the Active flag and boot files you've already removed.

I'm looking for the exact command now, to specify the external drive letter. Don't run the one in the TechRepublic thread as 52 is for XP while 60 is for Vista/7.
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I used the DISKPART command to remove the Active flag, but as far as removing the bootsecting I'm not sure. Only hidden files I could find and remove were BOOTSECT.BAK, bootmgr and Boot folder.

From the MBR-restore link you've sent me I see the bootsect.exe was supposed to be inside that Boot folder?

Even so could it still think the ext HDD is tied to the OS and booting somehow?

Why did Windows 7 installation messed with the external HDD anyway? Is it because it read it as Drive C:\ during one of the reboots or something?

Oh, and the MBR-fixing won't make my ext HDD have boot files again right? Just to make sure.
I'll try it later when I get back home, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jun 2011   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

1) EXT HD was plug in when Windows 7 or Vista was install at some time.

2) HD come from a PC with Windows 7 or Vista install on that drive & not reformat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #15

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
1) EXT HD was plug in when Windows 7 or Vista was install at some time.

2) HD come from a PC with Windows 7 or Vista install on that drive & not reformat.
Yeah it's 1), but why? It didn't mess with my other internal HDD. Why did it treat the ext HDD as related to OS install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

This is something people have actually be complaining about. The installation will generally dump the boot files on whatever disk it sees as disk 0 at the time of install.
This is regardless of whether internal / eternal or even the drive you pointed to in order to install the OS.
I have actually taken to unplugging everything but the target drive when doing installs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #17
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post


Even so could it still think the ext HDD is tied to the OS and booting somehow?
Yes, even though files are removed bootsect code is written to the HD bootsector, requiring running Diskpart Clean command to wipe.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
Why did Windows 7 installation messed with the external HDD anyway? Is it because it read it as Drive C:\ during one of the reboots or something?
It should not have messed with External HD as Windows does not install upon USB-connected Devices. Was it connected eSATA?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
Oh, and the MBR-fixing won't make my ext HDD have boot files again right? Just to make sure.
There is no reason to repair the MBR on the Windows 7 HD if Windows 7 is booting correctly.

I've PM'd my teacher SIW2 for the exact bootsect command to remove bootsect code from your external. The best way remains to move the data off and wipe the external using Diskpart or free Partition Wizard bootable CD. Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #18

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It should not have messed with External HD as Windows does not install upon USB-connected Devices. Was it connected eSATA?
Exactly, connected through eSATA... It was indeed the problem, I had no idea it would happen.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I've PM'd my teacher SIW2 for the exact bootsect command to remove bootsect code from your external. The best way remains to move the data off and wipe the external using Diskpart or free Partition Wizard bootable CD. Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
Thanks. I might actually consider doing a Clean All on all my 3 drives, even. Even if that takes 3 days... Just going to try and see if I can find some way to back up all the data that's in the external HDD...

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2011   #19
Microsoft MVP

 

If you plan to reinstall, follow these steps to get a perfect reinstall: Reinstalling Windows 7

However this shouldn't affect Windows 7 at all if it is now labeled System Active Boot in Disk Management as it is repaired and fully self-contained now.

What are the exact symptoms of the problems which are continuiing with your external?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2011   #20

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you plan to reinstall, follow these steps to get a perfect reinstall: Reinstalling Windows 7

However this shouldn't affect Windows 7 at all if it is now labeled System Active Boot in Disk Management as it is repaired and fully self-contained now.

What are the exact symptoms of the problems which are continuiing with your external?
It'll disconnect itself, even if I'm copying files, with several JRAID event error starting to appear periodically (every 1 minute or so) in the System Event Log:

The driver for device \Device\Scsi\JRAID detected a port timeout due to prolonged inactivity. All associated busses were reset in an effort to clear the condition.

When each of those errors happen I'll get a 3 second freeze in which I can't move my mouse. Also if I tell my PC to reboot or shutdown via start menu it'll just stay there saying "Shutting down...". Reconnecting the HDD doesn't help either. I have to hard-reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 installation set external HDD as Active (and other problems)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 installation set external HDD as Active (and other problems)
Thread Forum
Had BSOD, fixed that, accidentally set external hard drive as active General Discussion
Windows 7 Ultimate installation on LG External HDD~ Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Installation Problems Installation & Setup
How to Terminate an active installation Software
Windows 7 installation problems Installation & Setup
Microsoft Active Sync Installation problems Software
Windows 7 Installation destroyed external hard drive Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33