Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Clean Install of Win 7 64 from Upgrade Disc


20 Jul 2009   #1

vista home premium 32
 
 
Clean Install of Win 7 64 from Upgrade Disc

I just ordered a Win 7 upgrade disc. Here's my question. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit installed on my Dell. No restore disc, (at least I don't remember seeing one), but it has that restore partition. I'd like to add a new hard drive to my system and do a clean install using the Win 7 Upgrade disc but I'd like to make it the 64 bit version.

Can this be done? I can leave both hard drives in the system. Will a Win 7 Upgrade disc install a 64 bit version if it can find a valid 32 bit Vista installed on a second hard drive?

If this works and I later delete all traces of Vista off the old drive (as in the re-install partition) will the Win 7 Upgrade disc be useless for a fresh install?

Thanks,
regkaz

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jul 2009   #2
hei

Windows 7
 
 

Unfortunately you cannot perform a Clean Install with an Upgrade cd with 7 the way you could with Vista and XP.

However, I believe if you load the Windows 7 cd from inside Vista and choose Custom install, that should give you a fresh install of Windows 7 on whichever hard drive you choose. Once it is up and running, you can format your Vista drive and you should have a completely clean Windows 7 install.

I am not sure about running the 64-bit setup from a 32-bit OS though...that could be a problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #3

Win7
 
 

I would like to know the answer to this question also, from XP to 7. I know that you have to do a "custom install" i.e. "clean install" from inside XP so that it can verify the prior OS is installed, but once I wipe that partition to install 7 (obviously without activating it, since we don't have the keys yet), will it just be a matter of running the non-activated 7 OS until we receive the upgrade key we purchased?

Probably the best answer is just to wait. But I am just curious once the RTM comes out, how this might work.

Damon

ps not asking for any hacks, cracks or other illegal methods of installation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Jul 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
clean install

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by regkaz View Post
I just ordered a Win 7 upgrade disc. Here's my question. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit installed on my Dell. No restore disc, (at least I don't remember seeing one), but it has that restore partition. I'd like to add a new hard drive to my system and do a clean install using the Win 7 Upgrade disc but I'd like to make it the 64 bit version.

Can this be done? I can leave both hard drives in the system. Will a Win 7 Upgrade disc install a 64 bit version if it can find a valid 32 bit Vista installed on a second hard drive?

If this works and I later delete all traces of Vista off the old drive (as in the re-install partition) will the Win 7 Upgrade disc be useless for a fresh install?

Thanks,
regkaz
Ok first we need your computer specs.

thanks

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #5

vista home premium 32
 
 

It's a Dell with a quad core Intel. I'm at work so I don't know the exact chip. Has to be 64 bit if it's quad, right? I've got 3 gig of DDR2. Video is Nvidia 8800. 650 gig SATA HD, 2 SATA DVDs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #6

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Use Easy Transfer for your user settings and backup everything. Then boot from the Windows 7 CD, Win 7 will see your copy of Vista, then go to custom install, and select advanced, format the C drive, then follow the instructions to install Windows 7 64. You will have a clean install. then you can then reinstall all your programs. .
have fun.
Kenn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #7

vista home premium 32
 
 

Very cool. That's what I was hoping. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2009   #8

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ken9122 View Post
Use Easy Transfer for your user settings and backup everything. Then boot from the Windows 7 CD, Win 7 will see your copy of Vista, then go to custom install, and select advanced, format the C drive, then follow the instructions to install Windows 7 64. You will have a clean install. then you can then reinstall all your programs. .
have fun.
Kenn
I thought that the consensus (if there was one) was that in order to do a custom (clean) install with the upgrade disc, you have to run the installer from **inside** the previously installed OS, because that is how Windows 7 verifies that you have a licensed OS already on the machine.

Are you saying that you can boot directly into Windows 7 install disc and it will verify the previous OS license? I would hate to over-write my old OS with Windows 7, and then on Oct 22 try to enter my license key and find out that it doesn't work because I used the incorrect "upgrade" procedure.

I have Fujitsu S6510 laptop 4GB ram 32 bit XP (purchased pre-order upgrade Home Premium and would like to install 64 bit).

Damon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2009   #9

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DWillens View Post
I thought that the consensus (if there was one) was that in order to do a custom (clean) install with the upgrade disc, you have to run the installer from **inside** the previously installed OS, because that is how Windows 7 verifies that you have a licensed OS already on the machine.

Are you saying that you can boot directly into Windows 7 install disc and it will verify the previous OS license? I would hate to over-write my old OS with Windows 7, and then on Oct 22 try to enter my license key and find out that it doesn't work because I used the incorrect "upgrade" procedure.

I have Fujitsu S6510 laptop 4GB ram 32 bit XP (purchased pre-order upgrade Home Premium and would like to install 64 bit).

Damon
I was assuming he was doing the install with a retail verison he had ordered not a beta.

Kenn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DWillens View Post
I thought that the consensus (if there was one) was that in order to do a custom (clean) install with the upgrade disc, you have to run the installer from **inside** the previously installed OS, because that is how Windows 7 verifies that you have a licensed OS already on the machine.
That is my understanding since it's an upgrade disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Clean Install of Win 7 64 from Upgrade Disc




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Clean Install of Win 7 64 from Upgrade Disc
Thread Forum
need clean install of win7 but disc has no sp1 Installation & Setup
Clean Install on SSD with Upgrade Disc, Can't Get Past Product Key Installation & Setup
Clean Install with Windows 7 Upgrade disc. Installation & Setup
Solved Clean install from Upgrade disc not working Installation & Setup
windows 7 clean install upgrade disc formatting question Installation & Setup
win 7 upgrade disc won't install as clean install Installation & Setup
Clean install win7 with upgrade disc Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33