Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Volume (partition) status


18 Aug 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
 
 
Volume (partition) status

Hi everyone,

I just changed my main partition's size by following the tutorials I found on this forum.
I have a question though... See printscreen ....
Volume (partition) status-printscreen.jpg
Is it normal that the "A" drive which is currently empty with NOTHING on it, not even Windows 7 installed, shows up like "System, Active, Primary Partition"??

Is there anything I should change about that volume in order to keep everything clean?... Knowing that in couple of days I might use the "A" partition to stock all my audio samples for BFD2 (my audio app).

Thanks!



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2011   #2
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 
Edit

Hello.


As you want to store data on the A: it would be best to use the 101MB unallocated space at the very beginning (the far left) of the Hard Disk Drive to store the Windows 7 System boot files, they are currently on the A: and that may cause real issues when you start storing data on that partition.

Start by using Windows disk management to create a Primary partition of that unallocated space do not give it a drive letter and name/label it System Reserved, then mark the new SysResv partition as Active and do the 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the System boot files to that partition.

Have a look through this tutorial linked below for some additional information and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Edit: After you get the System Reserved created and the boot files created/stored to that partition, you can extend the A: partition into the unallocated space to the right of the A: partition.


.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

& reletter A: partition to D:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Aug 2011   #4
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
& reletter A: partition to D:

+1 The A: and B: drive letters are reserved for Floppy Disk Drives.


Thanks Ray!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2011   #5

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Hello kimouette,

I wouldnt partition my hard disk that way at all. How did you manage to get the letter "A" assigned to that partition? Normally "A" is reserved for the all but extinct floppy disk. Secondly, the windows partition (C: ) should be at the beginning of the disk or just after the system reserved partition if you have one. That ensures windows and program files are placed on the fastest part of the disk and loadup times are that much faster. Thirdly what is that unallocated space between A: and C: ?

If I were you, I'd back up any user data on that disk, then delete all volumes/partitions in the "Format drive" options offered by the Windows 7 install disk so that one large unallocated space is created, then format and install windows. Agree to have a system reserved partition created. Once windows is installed, you can use a 3rd party tool to carve out a data partition from the windows partition and restore your backed up files to that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2011   #6
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Bill has a good point.

Or, if you haven't stored any data to the A: partition yet? You could use the information in this tutorial to Move/Resize the left side of the C: partition all the way to the left, to the beginning of the HDD and then create partition(s) to the right of C: for storage; you would have to delete A: first so everything to the left of C: would be unallocated space.

Be sure to make C: "System Active" first or Windows will not boot, start at Step One of this.
Partition : Recover Space Used by an Older OS


Note   Note

As good and reliable a program as Partition Wizard is, I would not trust the installed version for the operation you need, use the boot CD as suggested and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

First download the Partition Wizard Bootable Disk (PWBD) ISO file to the desktop, be sure to get the PWBD and not the installed version; scroll down to see the download link for the Bootable CD ISO file at this link below.
Partition Wizard Free Bootable CD

Then use ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD, at no greater than 4x speed with a verify; it was designed for use and works best from a CD rather than a DVD; then boot the created CD to make the changes, it doesn't take any input from the user to setup, just relax and let it load.
ImgBurn Free ISO Burning Software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
& reletter A: partition to D:
I tried to do that but D was not in the option list. So I chose F instead... i guess that should still solve the problem

Quote:
I wouldnt partition my hard disk that way at all. How did you manage to get the letter "A" assigned to that partition?
There's another thread about my previous problem with reformating my HDD. Let's just say that my previous HDD was infected with some sort of virus and when I bought my new HDD I tried to do an image recovery from ANOTHER hdd but it failed. I ended up with the 3 initial partitions I had (and wanted to restore) but the first partition was the one infected so I manually reformated it and no longer needed 3 partitions. SO now I have the big partition, C, which has everything on it, and the other one didn't even have a letter assigned so I manually changed to A... I know now, it was stupid of me, so I changed it to F.
Quote:
Secondly, the windows partition (C: ) should be at the beginning of the disk or just after the system reserved partition if you have one. That ensures windows and program files are placed on the fastest part of the disk and loadup times are that much faster.
Ok how exactly should I do that?
Quote:
Thirdly what is that unallocated space between A: and C: ?
Thats a good question! I guess that's what happens when you start with a 3 partitions.

Quote:
If I were you, I'd back up any user data on that disk, then delete all volumes/partitions in the "Format drive" options offered by the Windows 7 install disk so that one large unallocated space is created, then format and install windows.
At this point, that is not an option. I spent way too many hours with reconfigurating my hdd. I want it to run properly and want to do everything right, but reformating and starting all over again.. I cant!!!

And now from the 2 other suggestions you guys have made, I dont know which one i should be following!!! Keep in mind that I dont want to reformat any of my partition and just want my C and F drive to run normaly (while C has all my apps and personal data on, and F WILL SOON have my audio data on), which one should I follow ?

This one ?
Quote:
if you haven't stored any data to the A: partition yet? You could use the information in this tutorial to Move/Resize the left side of the C: partition all the way to the left, to the beginning of the HDD and then create partition(s) to the right of C: for storage; you would have to delete A: first so everything to the left of C: would be unallocated space.

Be sure to make C: "System Active" first or Windows will not boot, start at Step One of this.Partition : Recover Space Used by an Older OS
Or this one?
Quote:
As you want to store data on the A: it would be best to use the 101MB unallocated space at the very beginning (the far left) of the Hard Disk Drive to store the Windows 7 System boot files, they are currently on the A: and that may cause real issues when you start storing data on that partition.

Start by using Windows disk management to create a Primary partition of that unallocated space do not give it a drive letter and name/label it System Reserved, then mark the new SysResv partition as Active and do the 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the System boot files to that partition.

Have a look through this tutorial linked below for some additional information and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Edit: After you get the System Reserved created and the boot files created/stored to that partition, you can extend the A: partition into the unallocated space to the right of the A: partition.
And this is what it looks like right now :
Volume (partition) status-printscreen.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #8
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello.


As you want to store data on the A: it would be best to use the 101MB unallocated space at the very beginning (the far left) of the Hard Disk Drive to store the Windows 7 System boot files, they are currently on the A: and that may cause real issues when you start storing data on that partition.

Start by using Windows disk management to create a Primary partition of that unallocated space do not give it a drive letter and name/label it System Reserved, then mark the new SysResv partition as Active and do the 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the System boot files to that partition.

Have a look through this tutorial linked below for some additional information and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Edit: After you get the System Reserved created and the boot files created/stored to that partition, you can extend the A: partition into the unallocated space to the right of the A: partition.


.
Hello again, the easiest and most advantageous would be this method.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

Is F empty as reported in Disk mgmt screenshot?

If so, I would follow the steps given to create a System Reserved partition from the first Unallocated space.

Then after the Startup Repairs start Windows 7 and the new Sys Reserved partition is labeled System Active, I use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to delete F and Resize C to the left into all of that space so that it is next to the new System Reserved partition.

Note that you can also use PW CD to Create NTFS Primary and mark Active the 101mb System Reserved partition.

Quote:
And this is what it looks like right now :
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
 
 

Ok so I followed Barefootkid's suggestion and followed the tutorial Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times.

Something weird happened though...
After doing this:
Quote:
Start by using Windows disk management to create a Primary partition of that unallocated space do not give it a drive letter and name/label it System Reserved, then mark the new SysResv partition as Active
It looked like this:
Volume (partition) status-before-3-startuprepar.jpg
Then I ran the windows system repair disc and after chosing my keyboard language, I found out that my operating system was found on Local Disc E ??I thought "E" was the Cd drive? Then I checked what the rest looked like (see pictures)
Name:  DSC00050.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  14.5 KBName:  DSC00049.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  14.1 KB
As you can see "System Reserved" showed up as C, while my local disk (the one that has my entire data on) is E, my other local disk (empty partition) is D and my cd drive is F....

I was (and still am) confused about all these changes of letters, but I kept on following the tutorial and ran the startup repair 3 times.

In conclusion, this is what it looks like right now :
Volume (partition) status-after-3-recovery.jpg

Is it ok??
I mean, is there something I must do before I go on and extend the F partition into the unallocated space to the right of the F: partition????

Gregrocker suggested "to delete F and Resize C to the left into all of that space so that it is next to the new System Reserved partition."
Is that a MUST ?? Or is the order in which the partitions are shown, not necessarily important?
I'm not gonna erase F since I'll use it to store audio data, but it's true though that F will remain next to the Sysreserv partition while the main partition will be on the extreme right (not next to the sysreserv).. does any of this matter?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Volume (partition) status




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Volume (partition) status
Thread Forum
Can't extend partition volume General Discussion
Solved BCD missing status:0xc000000f & Diskpart won't list my main partition Backup and Restore
Partition Status and Problems with VC Redist Installation & Setup
BCD missing status:0xc000000f & Diskpart won't list my main partition General Discussion
Partition Status Question General Discussion
Extending a Partition/Volume General Discussion
Create volume or partition? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33