Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Pro In Place Upgrade

22 Aug 2011   #11
gregrocker

 

Product Keys can be used for either 32- or 64- bit.

Leave the Product Key blank if requested during in-place Upgrade from Vista HP to Win7 HP.

Use eicfg_removal_utility.zip on the ISO extracted from your DVD using ImgBurn. ImgBurn - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com.

Then burn an all-versions DVD using ImgBurn at 4x speed with Verify.

You can also clean install following these steps: Clean Install Windows 7


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Aug 2011   #12
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Here you go mate, there's a lot of useful information in these tutorials linked below.


Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc - Create

ISO - Disk Image File : Extract to the Desktop
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #13
ABC190

Vista
 
 

Thanks for the replies. It seems simple enough. That being said, I am thinking of doing a format/clean install of Win 7. My Vista has .NET and MS Installer issues. The more I think of it, I feel I will be better off doing a clean install.

Which leads me to another question - can I create a partition on Vista, place my data/files on it, and then format my partition with Vista/programs and do a clean install resulting in a clean install of Win 7 Pro with a partition with my data already on it?

I made a more in depth post on the Vista forums:

Creating a partition - Vista Forums

Quote:
Hello all. I am about to upgrade to Win 7 Pro 64bit Upgrade. Currently my Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM is installed on Drive C, along with everything else. Programs, data, ect. I have no partitions.

I plan on doing a clean install of Win 7 - I will format Drive C and start from scratch. However, is it possible for me to create a partition right now within Vista? I have 300GB of spare space, and if this is possible I can place my data on this new partition. If possible, my partition will be called Drive D.

Can I then install Win 7 Pro, format Drive/Partition C but retain Partition D with my data on it? This would save me a lot of time if I can just wipe Vista/programs, install Windows 7 and already have my data on my hard drive in partition D.

Thanks in advance.
Again, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2011   #14
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

You can create your data partition within Vista, and then clean install on the C partition.

You can, during the clean install, delete the Vista partition, and then create a new one to install Seven on. The installer will also create a 100 Mb active partition for the boot files.

When Windows Seven begins the installation it will automatically format the partition you're installing it to.

Just take care you don't install to your data partition, and for that reason you might want to give it (the data partition) a meaningful name before you install Windows Seven.

When you're done, run Windows Updates, and then reinstall your applications.

Please post back if there's anything you're unsure of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #15
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Note   Note

Before we make any specific recommendations will you please post a snip/screen-shot of the entire Windows disk management drive map with a full description as to which drive/partition is which, so we can see what you have going on as there may be a fairly simple way to resolve the situation.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a maximized snip of that.



How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #16
gregrocker

 

If you create a data partition to store files during install to the OS partition be aware that this is not a fully safe backup method, which requires external media or drive, transferring to another computer on network, even uploading to Skydrive which allows 14gb storage with each Windows Live ID.

There is also no reason to delete the OS partition for the purpose of having the installer create the 100mb System Reserved boot partition (which places Repair Console on F8 Advanced Boot tools) since saving the data partition will block installer from creating the SysReserved partition as will any pre-partitioning.

However if you want a cleaner install, then you can delete all other partitions besides data to create the OS install partition. Just be sure you don't touch the Data partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #17
ABC190

Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
However if you want a cleaner install, then you can delete all other partitions besides data to create the OS install partition. Just be sure you don't touch the Data partition.
This was my idea. Create a data partition in Vista, put my data on it, and then format the Vista partition when installing Win 7. Will doing this allow for the 100MB System Reserved Boot partition?

And here is the screen shot:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2...management.jpg


Attached Thumbnails
Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Pro In Place Upgrade-disc-management.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #18
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

I was under the impression that deleting the Vista partition would let the the Windows 7 installer create a 100mb boot partition, but as gregrocker pointed out, that is not the case.

Looking at your screenshot, you have two choices:

1. Save all your personal data to an external drive (any of the methods described by gregrocker will be fine) then boot into your Windows 7 DVD, delete the C partition and create two new partitions for Windows and your data. In this case Windows will also create a 100mb boot partition, which will be the active partition.

2. Save all your personal date to an external drive then shrink the existing C partition and create a new partition for your data. In this case, your C drive will be the active partition and you won't have a 100mb boot partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #19
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello mate, you can have your cake and eat it too.


Create a "data" partition at the end of the Vista partition and move all the data to that.

During the Windows 7 installation process, delete the Vista partition and use the Windows 7 installer to create the System Reserved partition and a second partition to install Windows 7 to.

Create the SysResv in the first position at 200MB and it will automatically be created as a SysResv and I would suggest you only create a 100GB partition to install Windows 7 to; you can always extend the Windows partition to include the remaining unallocated space on the HDD / SSD or create additional Primary partitions or an Extended partition after the installation completes if you choose.

The Windows 7 installer will do all you need to create both partitions for the installation; though if you are comfortable using the command line, have a look at Step Two #3 of this tutorial for the complete process, do not use either the clean or the clean all first as that will over-write (destroy) all data on the entire HDD.
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #20
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you create a data partition to store files during install to the OS partition be aware that this is not a fully safe backup method, which requires external media or drive, transferring to another computer on network, even uploading to Skydrive which allows 14gb storage with each Windows Live ID.

There is also no reason to delete the OS partition for the purpose of having the installer create the 100mb System Reserved boot partition (which places Repair Console on F8 Advanced Boot tools) since saving the data partition will block installer from creating the SysReserved partition as will any pre-partitioning.

However if you want a cleaner install, then you can delete all other partitions besides data to create the OS install partition. Just be sure you don't touch the Data partition.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
I was under the impression that deleting the Vista partition would let the the Windows 7 installer create a 100mb boot partition, but as gregrocker pointed out, that is not the case.

Looking at your screenshot, you have two choices:

1. Save all your personal data to an external drive (any of the methods described by gregrocker will be fine) then boot into your Windows 7 DVD, delete the C partition and create two new partitions for Windows and your data. In this case Windows will also create a 100mb boot partition, which will be the active partition.

2. Save all your personal date to an external drive then shrink the existing C partition and create a new partition for your data. In this case, your C drive will be the active partition and you won't have a 100mb boot partition.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mate, you can have your cake and eat it too.


Create a "data" partition at the end of the Vista partition and move all the data to that.

During the Windows 7 installation process, delete the Vista partition and use the Windows 7 installer to create the System Reserved partition and a second partition to install Windows 7 to.

Create the SysResv in the first position at 200MB and it will automatically be created as a SysResv and I would suggest you only create a 100GB partition to install Windows 7 to; you can always extend the Windows partition to include the remaining unallocated space on the HDD / SSD or create additional Primary partitions or an Extended partition after the installation completes if you choose.

The Windows 7 installer will do all you need to create both partitions for the installation; though if you are comfortable using the command line, have a look at Step Two #3 of this tutorial for the complete process, do not use either the clean or the clean all first as that will over-write (destroy) all data on the entire HDD.
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
All comes down to, do you want to be safe with your DATA or not safe.

Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

Restore Backup User and System Files
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Pro In Place Upgrade




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cant upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home PremiumN
Hi, I'm new here, just registered. I successfully bought the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium N, downloaded and extracted it and now I want to install it. When I choose UPDATE in the intallation dialog it tells me that I cannot upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home...
Installation & Setup
How can I do an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Pro?
I'm installing this for a friend and she bought a Windows 7 Pro from digital river. She's using Vista 32bit home premium, and it won't let me do an in-place upgrade. She has a lot of programs and I don't wish to re-install one by one, especially when they're programs in Japanese. I'm comfortable...
Installation & Setup
Upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7
Hi, Can anyone advice? I currently have Vista Home Premium and have bought Windows 7 Professional.. only to find that I will lose all of my files if and when I upgrade. I have emailed Microsoft and am waiting for a reply... I have made a backup from Vista on to an external hard drive... but...
General Discussion
Win 7 upgrade from Vista home Premium - not?
It said it couldn't upgrade from my Vista Home Premium and had to do a custom install clean on top of Vista. I have not gone any farther than to see the installation finished and I see that it saved my Vista files in Windows.old. I sure thought Win & would upgrade from Vista. Now I have to...
Installation & Setup
Upgrade Vista Home Premium --> 7 Home Premium --> 7 Pro
I was wondering -- I bought Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade when it was 1/2 price in July. I can also purchase Windows 7 Professional through the Ultimate Steal here in Canada. I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium on my computer. I really don't want to do a clean install. After I...
Installation & Setup
How to upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium without Vista
I had a fully activated and legal copy of Windows Vista running on my computer 3 months ago. I formatted my disk to install Windows 7, thinking I will activate with the upgrade key I bought. How do I upgrade now? Please tell me there is way to do it from within Windows 7. I have installed all...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App