Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Buggered Netbook. Won't boot, can't restore from live USB.


03 Sep 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Buggered Netbook. Won't boot, can't restore from live USB.

Yeah...was kinda messing around trying to fix things and seemed to make things worse.

My Netbook was dual-booting Windows 7 Starter and JoliCloud OS -essentially, Ubuntu- but I had some partitions and stuff I couldn't use, due to a lot of ChromiumOS mucking around earlier.

Figured it'd be better to start from scratch, wipe, and start again. This is where my problem lies now.

Baring in mind, Acer Aspire One D255, no CD player. So I have Windows XP booting from a USB, that's fine. However, booting like that only shows the USB its on...it doesn't even SHOW the hard drive in the netbook itself. I deleted something crucial earlier, so I can't boot normally either. Something like "Missing operating system error: no such partition" appears.

So...I can boot from USB, yes, but when I do, it doesn't recognise the actual hard drive. Unless I can get it to do so, I can't format and install.

Is there any way at all I can access my hard drive, or have I done something irrepairable? Help please.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Sep 2011   #2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Follow steps here to prepare a usb install drive.

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Also, given the mess, during the install delete existing partitions and let windows use the unallocated space.

Or if you're trying to say something else, create a usb system repair disk and that should see your partitions (Read the entire article below).

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7...m-repair-disc/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

information   Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create


Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Acer Empowering Technology > Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How can I restore my computer with the backup discs I created?

Manual how to use Acer eRecovery Management here:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/empowering_technology/NB%20ET2%20user's%20guide/Acer%20eRecovery%20Management%20English.pdf

Have you tried pressing <Alt+F10> at boot up, to goto the Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for How to use Acer eRecovery

You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:
https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Sep 2011   #4

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Rizzaria,

Welcome to SevenForums.

Do you presently have Win 7 on a USB stick? yes or no.

Do you still have sticker on the bottom of the netbook, the Certificate of Authority which will have a number or it which you will probably need.

Do you have a System Repair Disc? Yes/ no. This disc you make using Windows 7. Did you make one? I realize you have a netbook, but do you have an external usb cd/dvd drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

Follow Bill2's suggestions but much easier to use this tool to write the Windows 7 installation ISO to stick -just put Windows 7 in dropdown menu: Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3.

Boot under USB, Removable or HD's, choose Custom install and use Drive Options to delete/create/format all,

If the HD isn't seen when you boot into stick use the stick maker above to load Hiren's Boot CD to test the HD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #6
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Rizaria, welcome to Seven Forums!


If there's anything you need to recover from the Hard Disk Drive have a look at the information in this tutorial linked below on how best to copy out that data to external media.
How to Copy & Paste in Recovery Console on Windows 7 or Vista

If not I suggest you run the clean command to over-write the Hard Disk Drive MBR and start the installation again from scratch and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

information   Information

1) To rule out HDD Master Boot Record format errors, boot the Windows 7 installation media to diskpart and run the clean command, it takes only seconds to complete; once the clean finishes, exit diskpart and use the Windows 7 installer to create and format a single 100GB partition for the installation.

If that doesn't work, after another clean, use diskpart to create, format and mark Active a single 100GB partition to see if that works, use Step Two #2 in the SSD/HDD tutorial for reference.

You can always extend the Windows partition to include the remaining unallocated space on the HDD / SSD or create additional Primary partitions or an Extended partition after the installation completes if you choose.

2) If you have ever had Linux installed to the HDD in any way, a simple clean command will not over-write the Grub boot-loader, you must use the full clean all command to completely over-write the Grub loader so Windows will install.
How to Boot to DISKPART at PC Startup

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Follow steps here to prepare a usb install drive.

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Also, given the mess, during the install delete existing partitions and let windows use the unallocated space.

Or if you're trying to say something else, create a usb system repair disk and that should see your partitions (Read the entire article below).

Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc — MAXIMUMpcguides – Windows 7 tips, tricks, help, and how-to guides
I've tried the latter, which at least lets me boot into some useful tools, but the repair itself is no good. I did use diskpart and was able to locate, clean, format and make the hard drive active. But upon booting with a windows XP installation key drive, it doesn't recognise it. Haven't tried a Windows 7 Installation key drive yet though. Might do that soon.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
information   Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create


Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Acer Empowering Technology > Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How can I restore my computer with the backup discs I created?

Manual how to use Acer eRecovery Management here:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/empowering_technology/NB%20ET2%20user's%20guide/Acer%20eRecovery%20Management%20English.pdf

Have you tried pressing <Alt+F10> at boot up, to goto the Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for How to use Acer eRecovery

You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:
https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer
Neeever assume anything.
It has no disk drive for starters, it's a Netbook. And the Alt F10 thing doesn't work.

Disk is wiped now anyway.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Rizaria,

Welcome to SevenForums.

Do you presently have Win 7 on a USB stick? yes or no.

Do you still have sticker on the bottom of the netbook, the Certificate of Authority which will have a number or it which you will probably need.

Do you have a System Repair Disc? Yes/ no. This disc you make using Windows 7. Did you make one? I realize you have a netbook, but do you have an external usb cd/dvd drive?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Follow Bill2's suggestions but much easier to use this tool to write the Windows 7 installation ISO to stick -just put Windows 7 in dropdown menu: Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3.

Boot under USB, Removable or HD's, choose Custom install and use Drive Options to delete/create/format all,

If the HD isn't seen when you boot into stick use the stick maker above to load Hiren's Boot CD to test the HD.
No I don't, but I may try that next. Going to give Hiren's Boot CD a go though, thanks. Also I made a system restore USB, failed, but does let me access stuff as I said above in this post. No I don't have an external CD/DVD drive unfortunately.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello Rizaria, welcome to Seven Forums!


If there's anything you need to recover from the Hard Disk Drive have a look at the information in this tutorial linked below on how best to copy out that data to external media.
How to Copy & Paste in Recovery Console on Windows 7 or Vista

If not I suggest you run the clean command to over-write the Hard Disk Drive MBR and start the installation again from scratch and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

information   Information

1) To rule out HDD Master Boot Record format errors, boot the Windows 7 installation media to diskpart and run the clean command, it takes only seconds to complete; once the clean finishes, exit diskpart and use the Windows 7 installer to create and format a single 100GB partition for the installation.

If that doesn't work, after another clean, use diskpart to create, format and mark Active a single 100GB partition to see if that works, use Step Two #2 in the SSD/HDD tutorial for reference.

You can always extend the Windows partition to include the remaining unallocated space on the HDD / SSD or create additional Primary partitions or an Extended partition after the installation completes if you choose.

2) If you have ever had Linux installed to the HDD in any way, a simple clean command will not over-write the Grub boot-loader, you must use the full clean all command to completely over-write the Grub loader so Windows will install.
How to Boot to DISKPART at PC Startup

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
Thanks for all the welcomes. I did manage to do the steps listed here, although I didn't use clean all, might try that. But I did locate the hard drive, clean it, partition, format and make it active. Still wasn't recognised by my Windows XP Installation on startup though. Not sure if that's a fault with that, might have to make a Windows 7 one. In any case, I have no files I need to keep and seeing as I've wiped the disk, too late even if I did.


So, where I'm at now:

Hard drive is empty. Supposedly partitioned and formatted with diskpart.
Hard drive is not recognised by Windows XP installation; might try Windows 7 installation.
No, I don't have a CD/DVD drive, hence all the kerfuffle with USB. :P
Going to try Hiren's Boot CD and a Windows 7 installation USB.
Will happily accept any more pointers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rizaria View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
information   Information

1) To rule out HDD Master Boot Record format errors, boot the Windows 7 installation media to diskpart and run the clean command, it takes only seconds to complete; once the clean finishes, exit diskpart and use the Windows 7 installer to create and format a single 100GB partition for the installation.

If that doesn't work, after another clean, use diskpart to create, format and mark Active a single 100GB partition to see if that works, use Step Two #2 in the SSD/HDD tutorial for reference.

You can always extend the Windows partition to include the remaining unallocated space on the HDD / SSD or create additional Primary partitions or an Extended partition after the installation completes if you choose.

2) If you have ever had Linux installed to the HDD in any way, a simple clean command will not over-write the Grub boot-loader, you must use the full clean all command to completely over-write the Grub loader so Windows will install.
How to Boot to DISKPART at PC Startup

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
So, where I'm at now:

Hard drive is empty. Supposedly partitioned and formatted with diskpart.
Hard drive is not recognised by Windows XP installation; might try Windows 7 installation.
No, I don't have a CD/DVD drive, hence all the kerfuffle with USB. :P
Going to try Hiren's Boot CD and a Windows 7 installation USB.
Will happily accept any more pointers.
I've done all that now and when using a Windows 7 installer, sure enough, it sees the partition. So I gather the problem is with trying to install Windows XP. When trying that, it only shows the USB stick its on, not the hard drive. Am I stuck having to put Windows 7 back on, or is there a possible way to get XP on there? (Not that I'm hating on Windows 7, but even with it tweaked, it still runs like crap on a Netbook of this poor specs. That and I'm only keeping a Windows partition for one thing, a thing XP would suffice for.) The ISO I'm using in USB form is called "en_windows_xp_home_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-92413". This is just a test, but yeah, not showing the harddrive as an option to install to. Not sure what to do.

I suppose I could go back to Windows 7, but it seems overkill for one thing. Needs a bigger partition too.

EDIT: Had to slipstream SATA drivers to get it working apparently. Making progress now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2011   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

I would stay with Windows 7 & install with:
USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create
Using method two in the tutorial:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2011   #10

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Here's a second to Theog's suggestion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Buggered Netbook. Won't boot, can't restore from live USB.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Buggered Netbook. Won't boot, can't restore from live USB.
Thread Forum
Netbook won't boot up :( General Discussion
Solved netbook gateway can not boot BSOD Help and Support
Netbook restore Backup and Restore
Restore Windows7 starter on netbook to factory settings Backup and Restore
Dual Boot Netbook XP Pro and Win 7 32 bit? Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Boot Screen on Netbook Graphic Cards
Netbook dual boot with download version of Windows 7? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33