Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need Help making a partition that can be accessed by two OS

14 Sep 2011   #1

windows7 ultimate x64
 
 
Need Help making a partition that can be accessed by two OS

Hello,I have a 640gb harddrive and I am making a partition for windows 7 and another partition for Linux.Both are 100 gb.So i have unallocated space of about 400gb.I want to make this a partition that i can access either from winows or from linux.Can someone tell me how to make a partition like this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Sep 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

You could do it either from Windows or Linux. This is the way I would do it:

1. Install Windows - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
2. Install Linux - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
3. Boot into Windows. Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. Right-Click on the free space, and select the option to create a new partition. Make the partition NTFS, format (quick format is OK). Assign drive letter for use within Windows, label partition.
4. When you boot into Linux, this partition will be visible, and usable.

If you chose to do it in Linux, install gparted (if using Ubuntu), and run it. It shows up a graphical interface to create/resize partitions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hirapanna View Post
You could do it either from Windows or Linux. This is the way I would do it:

1. Install Windows - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
2. Install Linux - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
3. Boot into Windows. Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. Right-Click on the free space, and select the option to create a new partition. Make the partition NTFS, format (quick format is OK). Assign drive letter for use within Windows, label partition.
4. When you boot into Linux, this partition will be visible, and usable.

If you chose to do it in Linux, install gparted (if using Ubuntu), and run it. It shows up a graphical interface to create/resize partitions.
Best to the OP's post first.
Want to Shrink C partition into 3 partition but files are preventing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Sep 2011   #4

windows7 ultimate x64
 
 

huh???



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hirapanna View Post
You could do it either from Windows or Linux. This is the way I would do it:

1. Install Windows - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
2. Install Linux - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
3. Boot into Windows. Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. Right-Click on the free space, and select the option to create a new partition. Make the partition NTFS, format (quick format is OK). Assign drive letter for use within Windows, label partition.
4. When you boot into Linux, this partition will be visible, and usable.

If you chose to do it in Linux, install gparted (if using Ubuntu), and run it. It shows up a graphical interface to create/resize partitions.
Best to the OP's post first.
Want to Shrink C partition into 3 partition but files are preventing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by themartyrs View Post
huh???



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hirapanna View Post
You could do it either from Windows or Linux. This is the way I would do it:

1. Install Windows - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
2. Install Linux - during installation, allow it to be installed into a new 100GB partition.
3. Boot into Windows. Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. Right-Click on the free space, and select the option to create a new partition. Make the partition NTFS, format (quick format is OK). Assign drive letter for use within Windows, label partition.
4. When you boot into Linux, this partition will be visible, and usable.

If you chose to do it in Linux, install gparted (if using Ubuntu), and run it. It shows up a graphical interface to create/resize partitions.
Best to the OP's post first.
Want to Shrink C partition into 3 partition but files are preventing
If you click on the link above, you will see that the OP (thread starter) has already been shown how to achieve what he wants to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2011   #6

windows7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by themartyrs View Post
huh???



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
If you click on the link above, you will see that the OP (thread starter) has already been shown how to achieve what he wants to do.

well actually I needed more help,if you dont want to help then dont help,but just sticking your smug comments in there is not helpfull
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

If you needed more help, why didn't you ask in the original thread?

If you're not happy with the free, voluntary advice you're getting, feel free to contact the moderators.

That's me done on this one. Have a nice day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2011   #8

windows7 ultimate x64
 
 

I did reply on the other thread and no one responded,smugness must be a british thing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2011   #9

windows7 ultimate x64
 
 

ive been to many forums and its always the same,you talk down to others
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need Help making a partition that can be accessed by two OS




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Need Help making a partition that can be accessed by two OS
Thread Forum
Making a Windows partition bootable without a "reserved" partition Installation & Setup
Solved Partition help - making a new system partition Installation & Setup
Solved Making a partition bootable Installation & Setup
Making Partition of Sys Drive!!! Performance & Maintenance
Help in Making New Partition Performance & Maintenance
big problem at making new partition Installation & Setup
WIN 7 not runing after making partition Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33