Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Home Premium {Making New Partition "Not Shrink one"}

29 Oct 2011   #1
imran1102

Window 7
 
 
Windows 7 Home Premium {Making New Partition "Not Shrink one"}

I have Window 7 Home Premium Installed on My HP Pavilion Dv6 i5 Notebook. I have only 1 Partition. I want to Install

another Window and thats why i want to Make Another Partition for it (I Know About Shrinking of Drive but i won't do it

because it make the shrinked Partition Dynamic, Which Can not Have OS on it)



SO i want to know that how can i make another Partition Without losing this Win7. Because Once i had Done that ( Shrinked)

and install another OS on (Shrinked) and then My Win7 had stopped working and was getting stuck during (ScreenFlash) Please

Tell me how can i have an Extra Partition.





**I have an idea, Correct me if i am Wrong;

The idea is that if i Make "System Backup" of (C: 45GBUsed : Free400GB) {Control Panel >Back up and Restore >Create a system

Backup} on External Drive. And Format Laptop and Make Fresh 50GB New Partition using (Any bootable CD).

So Can i Restore that "BACKUP" on Newly created 50Gb Partition. i think if i could and if it works then this is my

Solution. I haven't Tried and i want to know first. Please Reply Must.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Oct 2011   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I think you do not understand the concept of dynamic partitions. They do not get created because of shrinking but if you have already 4 primary partitions. You will need to get the space from somewhere.

Suggest you post a full picture of your Disk Management so that we can best advise you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2011   #3
gregrocker

 

As Wolfgang say, you'll not be prompted to convert to Dynamic with only one partition as you say you have.

But post back the screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map and listings so we can advise you best. Use the Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using Paper Clip in Reply Box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Oct 2011   #4
imran1102

Window 7
 
 

Ok Leave that but i tell you that it does Ask to Change that Drive to Dynamice Try yourself. And yes Thanks for Quick Reply Appreciated

Here is the Image:



Just Answer the Second Question.
Quote:
**I have an idea, Correct me if i am Wrong;

The idea is that if i Make "System Backup" of (C: 45GBUsed : Free400GB) {Control Panel >Back up and Restore >Create a system

Backup} on External Drive. And Format Laptop and Make Fresh 50GB New Partition using (Any bootable CD).

So Can i Restore that "BACKUP" on Newly created 50Gb Partition. i think if i could and if it works then this is my

Solution. I haven't Tried and i want to know first. Please Reply Must.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2011   #5
gregrocker

 

This is because you have the maximum four Primary partitions already, so you need to convert one to Logical so you can add as many logical subpartitons as you need.

I would not delete the HP Recovery or Tools partitions as they are useful: Recovery partition is the most stable way to run Factory Recovery (although you should make the disks as a backup if you haven't already), and Tools will run Diagnostics from boot.

Easiest method at this point is to convert C to Logical so you can shrink it and add as many logical subpartitions as you wish.

Burn free Partition Wizard bootable CD using Windows Image Burner, boot CD, rightclick C>Modify>Convert to Logical, click OK, Apply.

Once converted, rightclick C to Resize, drag right grey border to left to make C the size you want, OK, Apply.

Next create a Logical NTFS partition in the space, assign a drive letter, label it, click OK, Apply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2011   #6
imran1102

Window 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
This is because you have the maximum four Primary partitions already, so you need to convert one to Logical so you can add as many logical subpartitons as you need.

I would not delete the HP Recovery or Tools partitions as they are useful: Recovery partition is the most stable way to run Factory Recovery (although you should make the disks as a backup if you haven't already), and Tools will run Diagnostics from boot.

Easiest method at this point is to convert C to Logical so you can shrink it and add as many logical subpartitions as you wish.

Burn free Partition Wizard bootable CD using Windows Image Burner, boot CD, rightclick C>Modify>Convert to Logical, click OK, Apply.

Once converted, rightclick C to Resize, drag right grey border to left to make C the size you want, OK, Apply.

Next create a Logical NTFS partition in the space, assign a drive letter, label it, click OK, Apply.
So this will make a Logical partition that i can use for Installing another OS Example Linux?
Clarifying because i had made a partition (Using Win7 Disk_Mgmt ) and have installed OS Linux but linux was working and Window7 was Crashing on ScreenFlash. What do think where was the problem???

And please answer the Last question...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2011   #7
imran1102

Window 7
 
 

When i creat <System Image> using Control panel would i need a 100% Free External Drive or will existing data on External drive will be deleted ??? Please Answer my this Question ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2011   #8
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imran1102 View Post
So this will make a Logical partition that i can use for Installing another OS Example Linux?
Clarifying because i had made a partition (Using Win7 Disk_Mgmt ) and have installed OS Linux but linux was working and Window7 was Crashing on ScreenFlash. What do think where was the problem???

What kind of partition did you create for this install, and where?

I would ask your question about Dual Booting Linux in a Ubuntu forum as this is a Win7 forum where we specialize in Win7.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imran1102 View Post
When i creat <System Image> using Control panel would i need a 100% Free External Drive or will existing data on External drive will be deleted ??? Please Answer my this Question ..
You can save a Backup Image to any External HD without deleting its contents as long as it has needed available space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2011   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You are all over the place. As I understood your original question, you want to create an additional partition. And you were rightfully afraid because you already have 4 primaries which is the maximum in NTFS.

In order to accomplish what you want to do, follow what Greg said and convert the C: partition to logical using the bootable CD of partition wizard.

Then you can shrink your C: partition and create an additional logical partition using the unallocated space you got frm the shrinkage.

Now - what for do you want to create an image at this point in time and how does it fit into the problem at hand. I am all for imaging, but that is a completely new subject. If you want to learn more about it, have a look at those tutorials:

Imaging strategies
Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #10
imran1102

Window 7
 
 
Thanks Alot

You have Helped Me Alot. It Works now. I wish I Could Give you +Rep

Ok before Closing this Thread Please I have Only Last Question and that is:
* Which Format Should i select For Linux "Ext3,Ext4,NTFS" ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Home Premium {Making New Partition "Not Shrink one"}




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"install now" on windows 7 home premium provides me with "no device.."
Hello, i have read up on this error, but i can't seem to find the solution :(. I know this post is common, but i feel i really do need assistance. The message comes up as "no device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK". I have...
Installation & Setup
Making a Windows partition bootable without a "reserved" partition
I have a disk that contains a Win7x64 partition. Previously the drive contained a small, active boot partition that would load Windows from the current partition. Now, however, all that I have is the Windows partition. I rebuilt the MBR/Partition table, and my Windows partition is active. ...
Installation & Setup
"Shrink Volume" problem on partition
My OS is Win 7 Ultimate 32bit with SP1 and all updates installed. 320 GB HDD with 4 partitions : C:\ (System partition-Primary) and 3 partition (Logical) use to save my data! Now I want to create new partitions for my various data from F drive (last partition) but I can't shrink this volume. It...
General Discussion
"BOOTMGR missing" after upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate
Hello Sevenforums, This is my first post so please tell me if I do anything wrong. After using Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate and restarting, I get the "BOOTMGR missing error". Interestingly, if I shut down the laptop at this screen and turn it on, it...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Home Premium Gold vs. "normal" edition
Hi, Has anyone any idea on what is the difference between Windows 7 Home Premium Gold and "standard" edition? It is available from Dutch retailers, but they were unable to give me an answer. Googling forums and Microsoft web site (including Dutch one) also did not bring any results, except for...
General Discussion
Disable "Delete Browsing History" in Windows 7 Home Premium
How do I disable "delete browsing history" in Windows 7 Home Premium? it is my understanding that i have to edit my registry as Windows 7 HP does not have a Group Policy Editor. There was a tutortial that included a download to disable InPrivate Browsing that worked like a champ - Does anyone...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App