Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question concerning Windows 7 Family Pack Upgrade

17 Dec 2011   #1
Manion

Win 7 HP 32-bit
 
 
Question concerning Windows 7 Family Pack Upgrade

Later in the month I'll be helping my dad build his new PC, and I've been leaning towards the Windows 7 Family Pack so we can upgrade all our PCs to Win7 64-bit. The only problem with that is the fact that it is an upgrade version. Right now I still have my Windows 7 32-bit OEM CD, so I've been thinking:

Would I be able to upgrade my Windows 7 first, then install the 32-bit OEM version on my dad's new PC, and then upgrade his? If this wouldn't work then I can just tell him to buy a single license HP or Professional, but it'd be nice if we could upgrade all of our PCs to Windows 7 64-bit.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Dec 2011   #2
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

You can use either 32 bit or 64 bit with each license, and Family Pack has 3 separate licenses which can be used if there is any qualifying XP or Vista which came with the machine, or a retail copy you have on hand and don't use during the time it is serving as qualifier.

You do not need to buy another license to reinstall 64 bit for your OEM version, just get a 64 bit installer. What version is it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #3
Manion

Win 7 HP 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can use either 32 bit or 64 bit with each license, and Family Pack has 3 separate licenses which can be used if there is any qualifying XP or Vista which came with the machine, or a retail copy you have on hand and don't use during the time it is serving as qualifier.
So would my OEM copy work with the method I described, or would I need a retail version instead?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You do not need to buy another license to reinstall 64 bit for your OEM version, just get a 64 bit installer. What version is it?
My OEM copy came with a bundled kit from Tiger Direct, and they told me I'd need to buy a new license if I wanted 64-bit. It's the 32-bit version, and I don't have any 64-bit install CD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Dec 2011   #4
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Manion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can use either 32 bit or 64 bit with each license, and Family Pack has 3 separate licenses which can be used if there is any qualifying XP or Vista which came with the machine, or a retail copy you have on hand and don't use during the time it is serving as qualifier.
So would my OEM copy work with the method I described, or would I need a retail version instead?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You do not need to buy another license to reinstall 64 bit for your OEM version, just get a 64 bit installer. What version is it?
My OEM copy came with a bundled kit from Tiger Direct, and they told me I'd need to buy a new license if I wanted 64-bit. It's the 32-bit version, and I don't have any 64-bit install CD.
If you buy the Family 3 Pack, you will have three license's to install. One can be used for your OEM, that is legit. The second one can be used on your Dad's IF he has a retail XP or Vista that he is not using on this machine. The disk can be laying in a drawer, it does not need to be installed. It is on the honor system. Even if he has a retail version for his old machine (assuming he has one), that would be an acceptable qualifying version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #5
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

You can use either 32- or 64-bit with each Win7 license no matter what Tiger Direct told you. These are terms of the Win7 EULA, not something that a third party retailer can legally modify.

I would not give up the OEM license without trying to reinstall in 64 bit using the official Win7 with SP1 ISO here: Official ISO Downloads Windows 7 Home Premium x64 English.

Download and burn to DVD or write to flash stick using this tool: Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool

Then boot the installer to clean reinstall following these steps to get a perfect retail OEM reinstall - same as for factory OEM: Reinstalling Windows 7

If necessary Activate Windows 7 by Phone - Step-by-Step Guide.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #6
Manion

Win 7 HP 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
The second one can be used on your Dad's IF he has a retail XP or Vista that he is not using on this machine. The disk can be laying in a drawer, it does not need to be installed.
Ah, then I guess that won't work then. His current machine he bought from Compaq, and as far as I know he doesn't have any retail version; just the Windows reinstall discs that came bundled with it.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can use either 32- or 64-bit with each Win7 license no matter what Tiger Direct told you. These are terms of the Win7 EULA, not something that a third party retailer can legally modify.

I would not give up the OEM license without trying to reinstall in 64 bit using the official Win7 with SP1 ISO here: Official ISO Downloads Windows 7 Home Premium x64 English.

Download and burn to DVD or write to flash stick using this tool: Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool

Then boot the installer to clean reinstall following these steps to get a perfect retail OEM reinstall - same as for factory OEM: Reinstalling Windows 7

If necessary Activate Windows 7 by Phone - Step-by-Step Guide.
Wow, wish I knew that about two years ago. Thanks for pointing that out.

Since I'll be able to upgrade my version for free, and because my dad doesn't have a retail version of a previous Windows, I guess I'll just tell him to get Professional instead. Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #7
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

If you or your Dad know anyone with a retail copy of XP or Vista laying around which they are willing to give up then you have the qualifier "on hand." It doesn't need to be installed.

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question concerning Windows 7 Family Pack Upgrade




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
can a family pack upgrade be used on an XP netbook?
I called Dell support to find out if their aggressively priced ($120) Family Pack home premium upgrade could be used on an XP netbook. The agent went away and came back and said that it cannot - an XP machine requires a full-price W7 license. Then, someone on Aardvark told me they had upgraded...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Family Pack Question
Got a question... was thinking of grabbing the Windows 7 Family pack. Thing is I have 2 computers that are 64-bit compatible and 1 that is only 32 bit compatible. Do you guys think it would be possible to use the Family Pack to install 2 computers with 64-bit and 1 with 32-bit? Will be doing...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade And Family Pack Pricing
Microsoft has finally revealed the pricing of Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade and Windows 7 Family Packs. Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade offers an opportunity to customers to upgrade their edition of Windows 7 to one that is offering an increased functionality. Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Premium...
News
Windows 7 Family Pack + Anytime Upgrade = BARGAIN?
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/08/01/windows-7-family-pack-and-anytime-upgrade-pricing/ It's shown there everything you actualy need to know in order to understand what I am talking about. If you're looking for Windows 7 Ultimate for more than ten computers like I am, this might be your big break....
General Discussion
Windows 7 Family Pack and Anytime Upgrade Pricing
Windows Anytime Upgrade and Family Pack Pricing - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog Windows 7 Family Pack and Anytime Upgrade pricing unveiled - Ars Technica
News
Windows 7 Family Pack, Anytime Upgrade prices leak
Windows 7 Family Pack, Anytime Upgrade prices leak Microsoft blogger, Ed Bott, has uncovered the prices for both the Windows 7 Family Pack and Anytime Upgrade options. According to Bott various retailers have leaked the prices by mistake, which isn't the first time in the history of Windows...
News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App