Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: What's this unallocated space in my C: drive?

23 Dec 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 
What's this unallocated space in my C: drive?

Hello everyone, I was recently looking in disc management today for something and recently discovered this in the C: drive section:Attachment 189593
What is this '10.67 GB unallocated space' for? Is it the recovery partition? I heard that system recovery contains the whole OS and programs and stuff, which is about 10gb. What could this be for? I'm hoping it's the recovery partition, as I'm missing quite a few Toshiba programs that only come installed on the original system. Any help is appreciated! Oh yes, I should say, Merry Christmas !

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Dec 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gln2d3 View Post
Hello everyone, I was recently looking in disc management today for something and recently discovered this in the C: drive section:Attachment 189593
What is this '10.67 GB unallocated space' for? Is it the recovery partition? I heard that system recovery contains the whole OS and programs and stuff, which is about 10gb. What could this be for? I'm hoping it's the recovery partition, as I'm missing quite a few Toshiba programs that only come installed on the original system. Any help is appreciated! Oh yes, I should say, Merry Christmas !
Nothing just select the C: drive and (right click) increase volume (or something like that my windows is in dutch) then it should be allocated to your C: drive

EDIT
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GianniDPC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gln2d3 View Post
Hello everyone, I was recently looking in disc management today for something and recently discovered this in the C: drive section:Attachment 189593
What is this '10.67 GB unallocated space' for? Is it the recovery partition? I heard that system recovery contains the whole OS and programs and stuff, which is about 10gb. What could this be for? I'm hoping it's the recovery partition, as I'm missing quite a few Toshiba programs that only come installed on the original system. Any help is appreciated! Oh yes, I should say, Merry Christmas !
Nothing just select the C: drive and (right click) increase volume (or something like that my windows is in dutch) then it should be allocated to your C: drive

EDIT
You mean extend volume?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Dec 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gln2d3 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GianniDPC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gln2d3 View Post
Hello everyone, I was recently looking in disc management today for something and recently discovered this in the C: drive section:Attachment 189593
What is this '10.67 GB unallocated space' for? Is it the recovery partition? I heard that system recovery contains the whole OS and programs and stuff, which is about 10gb. What could this be for? I'm hoping it's the recovery partition, as I'm missing quite a few Toshiba programs that only come installed on the original system. Any help is appreciated! Oh yes, I should say, Merry Christmas !
Nothing just select the C: drive and (right click) increase volume (or something like that my windows is in dutch) then it should be allocated to your C: drive

EDIT
You mean extend volume?
yes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

For whatever reason that space was never given a useful purpose.

GianniDPC is correct in that you can either add it to your existing C:\ drive or you can create additional drives within that space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

OK, so I extended my drive, and It's added the unallocated space to my main drive. I was actually trying to see if I could find the recovery folder in there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

I would leave it alone. That is more likely to be the recovery partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
I would leave it alone. That is more likely to be the recovery partition.
when it was a recovery partition it would say that (it does on my laptop)


Attached Thumbnails
What's this unallocated space in my C: drive?-ls.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

@Dwarf I jut wanted to see if I still had the recovery partition thing in there, as I remember readding that in some laptop there's a folder called RECOVERY or something, but I'm just going to check.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

The 1.46GB in gln2d3's screenshot is the recovery partition. From my experience it is well to leave that alone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What's this unallocated space in my C: drive?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What's this unallocated space in my C: drive?
Thread Forum
Solved How do I add unallocated space to my C: drive? General Discussion
ADD Unallocated Space Back To C: Drive Hardware & Devices
Solved need to add unallocated space to system drive General Discussion
Unallocated space on a different disk than C drive Installation & Setup
Have unallocated space on F: Need to convert to one NTFS drive help. General Discussion
Unallocated space to D drive? General Discussion
unallocated hard drive space Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33