Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: C: Drive swop drive for larger faster one?


15 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
 
 
C: Drive swop drive for larger faster one?

I own a legal Windows 7 Pro 64bit OS. I mistakenly loaded this onto a new 500GB 5400rpm drive thinking that it would be much quieter as I have another four 7500rpm SATA drives running with two of them in RAID 1 for photograph and documents. Of course now i find that the 5400rpm speed is much too slow for my workflow.

The C: drive only contains Windows and programs.

Is there any method whereby I can change the 5400rpm C: drive for a 2TB 7500rpm or 10000rpm drive without having to reload the OS and every program?

I have read about "imaging software" but can this work with the set-up I have described and also will I be able to authorise same with Microsoft?

Surely by now Microsoft could have produced a method where a licensed OS and its installed user programs could be easily transferred to a new disk?

Beemer

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2012   #2

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Beemer2 View Post
I own a legal Windows 7 Pro 64bit OS. I mistakenly loaded this onto a new 500GB 5400rpm drive thinking that it would be much quieter as I have another four 7500rpm SATA drives running with two of them in RAID 1 for photograph and documents. Of course now i find that the 5400rpm speed is much too slow for my workflow.

The C: drive only contains Windows and programs.

Is there any method whereby I can change the 5400rpm C: drive for a 2TB 7500rpm or 10000rpm drive without having to reload the OS and every program?

I have read about "imaging software" but can this work with the set-up I have described and also will I be able to authorise same with Microsoft?

Surely by now Microsoft could have produced a method where a licensed OS and its installed user programs could be easily transferred to a new disk?

Beemer
Beemer2, Microsoft's image backup program will create an image on a second disk or external hard disk

Backup image limitation is only for the same or larger hard disks.

I would disconnect all other hard disks, run the backup image creation to an external USB hard disk, create the restore cd from within your backup windows program and then remove the old hard disk. Put the new one in and connect the usb drive. booting from the recovery cdrom.

You should be in business. But you might have to reboot a couple of times to get the disk drivers to work properly.
When it all works. you can then attach your other hard disks.


rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #3
Microsoft MVP

 

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
System Image Recovery
Alternative in case Windows 7 imaging gives probs: Macrium - Image your system

If you have WD or Seagate HD anywhere in the mix you can also use their premium Acronis Cloning/Imaging app to directly clone HD over to new one while both are connected.

Consider an SSD for even better performance than fastest HD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Beemer[/QUOTE]

Beemer2, Microsoft's image backup program will create an image on a second disk or external hard disk

Backup image limitation is only for the same or larger hard disks.

I would disconnect all other hard disks, run the backup image creation to an external USB hard disk, create the restore cd from within your backup windows program and then remove the old hard disk. Put the new one in and connect the usb drive. booting from the recovery cdrom.

You should be in business. But you might have to reboot a couple of times to get the disk drivers to work properly.
When it all works. you can then attach your other hard disks.


rich[/QUOTE]

Windows7 backup is limited from what i tried, it would NOT transfer the image to a new drive which i thought was the whole point of haveing a backup. It will restore back to the original drive but not to a completely different drive. For that reason i went looking for a better alternitive. Correct me if i'm wrong, it is possible i did something wrong.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

You may have had bad luck Bowtie because it is supposed to restore to a replacement HD.

However there are enough problems reported with Windows 7 backup imaging that I give Macrium and superior Acronis WD/Seagate cloning apps in addition to the built-in imaging.

In this case OP has the luxury of trying more than one if needed. I would myself clone it over using Acronis which is easiest of all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks Greg for the heads up, but i tried it many different ways such as moveing the image to a partition on the drive i wanted to transfer the image to with no joy, did try many different ways with no luck. So most likely Macrium will be the choice. Thanks for the input.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #7
Microsoft MVP

 

I keep hoping for better reports on Windows 7 backup imaging but it isn't catching up with the OS.

I'm going to bring this to MS attention at the MVP Summit in Seattle later this month.

We shouldn't have to work around a Windows 7 feature for so long.

Thank you, Bowtie.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I keep hoping for better reports on Windows 7 backup imaging but it isn't catching up with the OS.

I'm going to bring this to MS attention at the MVP Summit in Seattle later this month.

We shouldn't have to work around a Windows 7 feature for so long.

Thank you, Bowtie.
That may help Greg, because i thought the whole point of Windows backup was in case you had a hard drive failure, virus, and many other reasons was to backup, now i will say this, it makes a system image in about 10 minutes and restore that image back to the same drive in 10 minutes, that part works great but that's all it's good for. Not for hard drive failure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2012   #9

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
System Image Recovery
Alternative in case Windows 7 imaging gives probs: Macrium - Image your system

If you have WD or Seagate HD anywhere in the mix you can also use their premium Acronis Cloning/Imaging app to directly clone HD over to new one while both are connected.

Consider an SSD for even better performance than fastest HD.
Greg,

Thanks for that as I get the feeling that my disk change requirement might be easier than I thought. That said:

a) the posts following your reply kind of confuses the issue.
b) Acronis Cloning/Imaging app is not a listed program here in the UK

Beemer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2012   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

Do you have a Seagate or WD Hard Drive so you can use the Acronis free app?
WD Acronis free cloning app
Seagate Acronis cloning free util

If not then as stated you can use Windows 7 backup imaging since if it doesn't reimage to another HD you can try Macrium instead. A second backup is always a good idea anyway.

Does this clear up any confusion?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 C: Drive swop drive for larger faster one?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: C: Drive swop drive for larger faster one?
Thread Forum
Cloning C Drive (Upgrading to Larger Drive) Backup and Restore
can I boot from a smaller drive and use a larger one as my primary? Hardware & Devices
Installing win 7 image to a larger 3TB drive Backup and Restore
Can I copy my old Win 7 pro hdd to a new faster and larger drive? Backup and Restore
Solved Help restore to larger drive without format Backup and Restore
System drive content getting larger General Discussion
Replacing a existing drive with a larger drive General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33