Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading to 64 bit OS

18 Feb 2012   #1
WolfofAlchemy

Windows XP Professional 32 bit
 
 
Upgrading to 64 bit OS

Is it possible to upgrade my computer from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS?

I don't know if people can look at my computer specs on my profile or not, and I don't know if I got the correct data.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Feb 2012   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WolfofAlchemy View Post
Is it possible to upgrade my computer from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS?

I don't know if people can look at my computer specs on my profile or not, and I don't know if I got the correct data.

Here is a link to help you find out. Find if my Processor is 32-bit or 64-bit capable in XP, Vista and Windows 7


If you have the small form factor, the max memory is 2 gig and if so you are better off on 32 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #3
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Feb 2012   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

You need to go to Microsoft and look for their "Upgrade Advisor", which will sniff your PC and tell you if it will run Windows 64-bit.

But there's no particular reason to change, particularly with only 2 GB of RAM. Why do you want to change?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #5
WolfofAlchemy

Windows XP Professional 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You need to go to Microsoft and look for their "Upgrade Advisor", which will sniff your PC and tell you if it will run Windows 64-bit.

But there's no particular reason to change, particularly with only 2 GB of RAM. Why do you want to change?
I don't really know. I just heard that 64 bit can run better or something of that sort. I know you have to have a good bit of RAM though.

So I should just stick with 32 bit?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #6
WolfofAlchemy

Windows XP Professional 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WolfofAlchemy View Post
Is it possible to upgrade my computer from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS?

I don't know if people can look at my computer specs on my profile or not, and I don't know if I got the correct data.

Here is a link to help you find out. Find if my Processor is 32-bit or 64-bit capable in XP, Vista and Windows 7


If you have the small form factor, the max memory is 2 gig and if so you are better off on 32 bit.
Thanks for the link. It says that it's a x86 based computer so that 32 bit? I never understood what that actually ment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #7
WolfofAlchemy

Windows XP Professional 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Thank you also. This test told me I could upgrade to Professional or Ultimate 32bit. Guess I got my anwser. I just pretty much wanted to know if it was possible to go to 64bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #8
gregrocker

 

With a Pentium 4 and 2gb I would stick with 32 bit.

Make sure it's optimized following these steps to Clean up factory bloatware.

With 2gb I woudl also dial back the Visual Effects in Control Panel>System>Advanced settings to eliminate animation, fading, sliding and dragging intact. These are standard edits for low resource older hardware and will give you better performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #9
WolfofAlchemy

Windows XP Professional 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
With a Pentium 4 and 2gb I would stick with 32 bit.

Make sure it's optimized following these steps to Clean up factory bloatware.

With 2gb I woudl also dial back the Visual Effects in Control Panel>System>Advanced settings to eliminate animation, fading, sliding and dragging intact. These are standard edits for low resource older hardware and will give you better performance.
Thanks but I already have programs that did that all for me. I'll still check out the link though. Not all programs do every detail of work like I'd like them to. I should probably turn off some more of the effects though. It's hell on my out dated CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2012   #10
gregrocker

 

What programs did you use to optimize your system?

Most optimizing suites are not desirable for Win7. I would only use CCleaner or WinPatrol and even WinPatrol's realtime protection can be a drag on resources.

You want a completely clean boot, and never any tweaking with Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading to 64 bit OS




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
CPU OC and upgrading ram
So yea I have a current oc of 3.6 on my current cpu in the sig. Anyways I was thinking of upgrading my ram to 8gb. Got 4 atm, anyways what I wanted to ask is would I have to reset all my settings in the bios when I change my ram and change the Ht Link speed? Sorry not to knowledge with this, All...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Upgrading CPU need help
I have been using a desktop with a pentium 4 for about a year. I want to upgrade the cpu to a intel and I have been looking and I found a good deal I was thinking I could slap this in it and use all my computer parts except for the ram and psu Will this be ok for gaming on mid settings and...
Hardware & Devices
upgrading cpu & RAM
greetings earthlings, i want to buy a Intel i5 2500k core cpu and a GSkill RAM 4GB (2x2GB), can i upgrade in the future to say an Intel i7 core 2600k and a GSkill 8GB (or more RAM)? and for that matter a motherboard and the graphics card too? thank you
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading my CPU with Win 7 64 bit
I was just talking to AMD the other day and I found out what all my problems with Windows 7 after doing a stress test and seeing that CPU 0 failed. I was told by the tech from AMD that the main core is starting to fail so I need to replace it ASAP can someone tell my the bust CPU for my computer...
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading from 7 HP to Ult
Not long purchased a new PC with 7 HP 64-bit pre-installed. Have been given a genuine copy of Ultimate, unused, and am wondering the best way of installing it. Can i do it by just inserting the 64-bit disk and will it affect any programs that have been added since the purchase.
Installation & Setup
Upgrading Help:?
Hi all, I have recently upgraded my HP a6305.uk, the basic specs before was 2GB RAM and onboard graphics card that was crap... I have upgraded this to 4GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 1GB 4650:). I am happy with this setup but am looking to upgrade my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Dual Core Processor (2.60GHz),...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App