Installed Windows 7 Pro in this system I built in April 2011. No major issues and has functioned very well. For a little background, I have Win 7 on a Vertex3 drive, data on a Vertex 3 drive and both are backed up to a Seagate drive. I have used the Casper backup programs for years and currently using Casper 7. I have the Vertex data scheduled for backup to the Seagate every day and the Win 7 Vertex scheduled for backup once a month. I do a lot of experimenting so crashes are a given for me but I simply boot to the Seagate and restore the Windows 7 Vertex --- until now.
About 3 weeks ago, I decided it was time for a format and clean install to eliminate lots of garbage. Done one back in September with no issues. Set my Seagate for my primary boot drive so that I could keep business running, shutdown, disconnected all the drives except the Win 7 Vertex and done a clean install with no issues. As time would permit, I would boot to the Win 7 and do the tweaking issues and installation of programs that I originally done on the new system. Everything worked great. Played with it until about a week before deciding everything was perfect and time to disconnected the Seagate, connect the Win 7 Vertex to the data drive and let her work. Again no issues until about a week ago when I decided it was time to hookup the Seagate, backup the Win 7 Vertex and go back to a normal routine. I thought!
A few hours later, I opened MS Word only to have it "configure" and request reactivation which never happened before. Gave me an error message saying that it could not verify the license. Then I noticed Window Washer showed an expired notice but does not expire until 2014. Went to Mail Washer to get to my Windows Live Mail to send Window Washer and email but it gave me a weird error message and would not load. Reinstalled and reactivated it only to find that I had to reconfigure my Windows Live Mail before it would work. The Start>All Programs list had all my program folders but most of them were now empty. Too many problems - glad I made a backup only to find that it had most but not all of the same problems. Messed up somewhere so I go back to square one for a complete format and clean install - six times now and still cannot get it to work. No issues until I back it up the the Seagate then both become corrupted.
I have researched, experimented, cussed and discussed but cannot find what's causing these issues. Just went through resetting everything a couple hours ago and it will work fine until I do a backup to the Seagate. Have done installs with only one drive connected, with two drives connected and with all 3 drive connected - makes no difference. Hope someone has some suggestions as this is getting old quick!