Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 AIK, New Setup

27 Feb 2012   #1
Zxurian

Window 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Windows 7 AIK, New Setup

So I'm trying to build a Windows 7 AIK image / answer file, but running into some problems.

Before I get to involved, is the following even possible?

- Create a Windows 7 install image or answer file that will install windows
- skip all dialogs
- once installed, automatically go get any/all updates
- install a set of drivers (mobo / video / etc..) (I believe I saw in googling that I could add the .inf's as part of the AIK, so I may have stated it incorrectly, but the effect is what i'm going for)
- install a set of programs
- reset to OOBE when done


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2012   #2
codekiddy

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Version 6.1 Build 7601
 
 

Welcome Zxurian,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zxurian View Post
- Create a Windows 7 install image or answer file that will install windows
- skip all dialogs
- once installed, automatically go get any/all updates
- install a set of drivers (mobo / video / etc..) (I believe I saw in googling that I could add the .inf's as part of the AIK, so I may have stated it incorrectly, but the effect is what i'm going for)
- install a set of programs
- reset to OOBE when done
Yes it's possible,
but I'm not sure what you mean by skip all dialogs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #3
Zxurian

Window 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codekiddy View Post
Welcome Zxurian,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zxurian View Post
- Create a Windows 7 install image or answer file that will install windows
- skip all dialogs
- once installed, automatically go get any/all updates
- install a set of drivers (mobo / video / etc..) (I believe I saw in googling that I could add the .inf's as part of the AIK, so I may have stated it incorrectly, but the effect is what i'm going for)
- install a set of programs
- reset to OOBE when done
Yes it's possible,
but I'm not sure what you mean by skip all dialogs?
Mainly be able to insert DVD, (and USB flash drive if necessary), turn system on, and let it do its thing, so that when it's done, it's fully patched, all programs installed, drivers updated, etc.. without me having to intervene at any point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Feb 2012   #4
codekiddy

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Version 6.1 Build 7601
 
 

Yes that's possible to, but the cost is that you'll have to create image wich will be prepaired for exact hardware.
that means, image can't be installed on any computer/laptop except those targeted.

if you create image on toshiba satellite P300D for example, then that image will be ready only for that series of laptops.(if I remember correctly)

this is called sysprep,
have a look:
How Sysprep Works

also see technet library if you wanna learn all:
Phase 4: Image Deployment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #5
Zxurian

Window 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codekiddy View Post
Yes that's possible to, but the cost is that you'll have to create image wich will be prepaired for exact hardware.
that means, image can't be installed on any computer/laptop except those targeted.

if you create image on toshiba satellite P300D for example, then that image will be ready only for that series of laptops.(if I remember correctly)

this is called sysprep,
have a look:
How Sysprep Works

also see technet library if you wanna learn all:
Phase 4: Image Deployment
Yup, I was planning on that. We have 3 different builds that we sell, so I'd make 3 different install images.

Seems I'm getting stuck on the initial setup though, I followed the readme that comes with the Microsoft Windows 7 AIK download, leading me to an answer file of http://pastebin.com/hRg1qC64 that i copied to USB root /autounattend.xml, but trying to boot with the Windows 7 x64 OEM DVD is still stopping on the initial language select dialog.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #6
codekiddy

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Version 6.1 Build 7601
 
 

sorry, I've newer worked with answer file but just found an interesting link describing this:
Sysprep a Windows 7 Machine
scrol down to step #6

Last time when setting up my own image I've folowed thechnet library for reference and I didn't need work around answer file at all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #7
Zxurian

Window 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codekiddy View Post
sorry, I've newer worked with answer file but just found an interesting link describing this:
Sysprep a Windows 7 Machine
scrol down to step #6

Last time when setting up my own image I've folowed thechnet library for reference and I didn't need work around answer file at all
Thanks for the assistance.

Do you have a link to the technet library reference you used, or is that what you linked earlier?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #8
codekiddy

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Version 6.1 Build 7601
 
 

technet has changed a little and I can't find exact link

anyway, install windows 7, boot it,(look the video) install other stuff .... once you install all the software, drivers, service pack and all that stuff into windows folow this video to capture the image:
Build a Windows 7 Image - Sysprep, ImageX, Deployment | TechNet

EDIT:
Here is another cool video to follow once you have the captured image.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd320282
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #9
Zxurian

Window 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by codekiddy View Post
technet has changed a little and I can't find exact link

anyway, install windows 7, boot it,(look the video) install other stuff .... once you install all the software, drivers, service pack and all that stuff into windows folow this video to capture the image:
Build a Windows 7 Image - Sysprep, ImageX, Deployment | TechNet

EDIT:
Here is another cool video to follow once you have the captured image.
Windows 7 Videos - Deployment, Migration, Compatibility | TechNet
thanks for the link!

sysprep does alot for what I was going for, the only question I have left is after you prep a windows install, is it possible to have it auto-search for any newer updates since the time the image was made?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2012   #10
codekiddy

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Version 6.1 Build 7601
 
 

Yes, of course.
once you install "sysprep-ed" windows, it will be able to download new updates.
If that's what you tought.

also once captured image(sysprep-ed windows) can be upgraded furthermore but on the same machine only.
but I've never test that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 AIK, New Setup




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
RAID Setup - Alienware - A few setup questions?
I have just finished moving my OS from a 3TB hard drive to an SSD. I now have 2 matching drives that I would like to set up as a RAID array. A couple of questions: 1. Do I need to backup the data that will be on the RAID before setting it up and then move it back once it has been setup? 2. Do...
Hardware & Devices
Tuner Setup - setup loops at accepting Channel Changer
have installed new Haupaugge HVR 2250 turner card and have to set up TV Tuner and confirm remote functions after some driver conflicts i got the card and remote working to control Shaw Digital Box via IR blaster and can see live TV when i'm on the "Test Channel Changing" page - I can see and...
Media Center
SSD w/ HDD - Windows 7 setup help
Hello! I've recently completed my first PC build ever, coming from my beloved MacBook Pro. With that being said, I am as much of a Windows noob as can be. Anyway, I have a 60GB Vertex 3 that I want to use strictly for my OS and maybe one game and a 500GB Caviar Blue that I want to use for...
Installation & Setup
Win7 Starter getting error on initial setup; locked in setup loop
I have several Asus Eee netbooks that I'm getting set up to use at my school. I had some parent volunteers helping me get them ready to deploy, and one of the netbooks was plugged in to initially power it up, but then hard-shut-down before Windows could run through its initial setup. Now when I...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7-Setup hangs after windows is loading files with black screen
I'm new here.I couldnt find any solution for my problem anywhere and i thought i can find it here. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit and im trying to install it for about 6 months. I installed it once but after one week,os is gone and stuck at classpnp.sys Here are the steps i followed...
Installation & Setup
what if i don't have a windows 7 setup dvd?
what if i don't have a windows 7 setup dvd? mine is an OEM shipped with the notebook. what files do i have to rebuild? any workaround? William, Hongkong 9.3.2011
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App