Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2K and Vista coexistance?

25 Aug 2009   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
2K and Vista coexistance?

I have already installed Vista on a 500 GB hard disk and I wanna install Win 2K on a 20 GB partition so I can create a Dual Boot. However, 2000 considers the partition I create unformatted and/or damaged and when I choose ''format'', it says that Drive C must be formatted(where Vista is installed). What should I do so that Vista stays intact and 2000 installs normally?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Aug 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leobelbas View Post
I have already installed Vista on a 500 GB hard disk and I wanna install Win 2K on a 20 GB partition so I can create a Dual Boot. However, 2000 considers the partition I create unformatted and/or damaged and when I choose ''format'', it says that Drive C must be formatted(where Vista is installed). What should I do so that Vista stays intact and 2000 installs normally?
Win2k is 9 years old and may not recognize the ntfs format.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I also created a FAT32 partition but still no luck. I assure you that 2K does support NTFS, being the first OS to support this new format.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Aug 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

L

Actrually I think WinNT may have but that was over a decade ago
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #5

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Win2k is 9 years old and may not recognize the ntfs format.

Ken
Win 2K can run on NTFS...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Do you know what I should do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #7

 
 

I had Vista & XP dual boot...
Didn't use 2K since 2004 (had 2K & XP dual boot)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

BTW, I'm aware that this is a forum for Win 7 but I think it's the same procedure as if I had 2K with 7. Can someone help me?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #9

 
 

When I do dual boot I install older OS first and no problems...
Never tried to do reversal...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2009   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leobelbas View Post
BTW, I'm aware that this is a forum for Win 7 but I think it's the same procedure as if I had 2K with 7. Can someone help me?
Usually when you dual boot you install the older system first so that when you install win 7 it can create the boot loader. You can do the same thing by using bcdedit to set up the boot. there is a tutorial on bcdedit in tutorials.

Let us know if you need help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2K and Vista coexistance?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33