Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Reinstall with OEM key on same system - Not Genuine ?

24 Apr 2012   #11
swbca

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Apr 2012   #12
swbca

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2012   #13
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

You say the imported version did not validate, which suggests it may not be genuine.

Activation matches the product key with the operating system and only needs to be carried out once.

Validation is ongoing by Microsoft's validation servers, which check you are not using non-genuine software and is ongoing while you have the OS installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Apr 2012   #14
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Was the image SysPrepped to have the activation removed first? I would try that, or at least remove the Activation using SLMgr Commands and Options to slmgr -upk first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2012   #15
swbca

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Was the image SysPrepped to have the activation removed first? I would try that, or at least remove the Activation using SLMgr Commands and Options to slmgr -upk first.

I'll try Sysprep . . I sort of shortcut sometimes in our own office, but it would be good to find the solution for the next system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2012   #16
swbca

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
You say the imported version did not validate, which suggests it may not be genuine.

Activation matches the product key with the operating system and only needs to be carried out once.

Validation is ongoing by Microsoft's validation servers, which check you are not using non-genuine software and is ongoing while you have the OS installed.

The OEM key did validate on a fresh install I tried from OEM media as a test, but the same key did not validate on the same hardware after succesfully activating it on an imported image originally created with Microsoft Parter Media on a different computer.

I understood that media is common across different distribution channels with Windows 7. But I wasn't sure if that included OEM media.

(Gets confusing to explain)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2012   #17
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

An OEM Windows OS is tied to the first computer it's installed on.

If you activated the product key on an image from another computer that counts as the computer it's installed on.

If you then clean install Windows and try to activate it with the same OEM key, it will fail as the key has already been used and cannot be used on another computer.

Have you considered trying this?

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2012   #18
swbca

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
An OEM Windows OS is tied to the first computer it's installed on.

If you activated the product key on an image from another computer that counts as the computer it's installed on.

If you then clean install Windows and try to activate it with the same OEM key, it will fail as the key has already been used and cannot be used on another computer.

Have you considered trying this?

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Sorry this is so confusing.

I bought a computer with an OEM installation = Computer "A"
I restored an image from Computer "B" to Computer "A"
I activated the OEM key that came on computer "A" on Computer "A" (no hardware change)
but it was not Genuine.

Regarding the clean install, I know this works but it take 4 days to setup our systems from scratch. (We do forensic testing for banks) So we alway using imaging, but we normally don't try using the computer's OEM key on an imported image.

Thanks for your suggestions . . I can always use another Win7 key on the image - I was just trying not to use it if the OEM key would work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2012   #19
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

The OEM key should work as long as the previous Product Key is uninstalled (slmgr -upk) from the image. This may be the problem especially if you were using MAK activation on the image.

In your case it may have had the previous key cued up to Activate which is what fouled out, or did it clearly activate with the OEM key and then later flag as non-Genuine?

If it activates it should be good to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2012   #20
swbca

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
The OEM key should work as long as the previous Product Key is uninstalled (slmgr -upk) from the image. This may be the problem especially if you were using MAK activation on the image.

In your case it may have had the previous key cued up to Activate which is what fouled out, or did it clearly activate with the OEM key and then later flag as non-Genuine?

If it activates it should be good to go.

I went to the activation page, and then immediately selected the option "Type in new Key" So I pasted in the OEM key . . . A message said it would take a while and it did . . but then said "Successfully Activated:

Later I intentionally installed the Windows Validatation Tool which marked it as Not Genuine. and Windows Update was broken, even thought the service was running. A pop-up saying "Windows is not Genuine" popped up the next day.

Like you said, I thought it when it activated it would be good to go. Next time I'll remove the existing activation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Reinstall with OEM key on same system - Not Genuine ?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System Reinstall
Can anyone precisely explain how to reinstall your system? I know how to do it, but it's my first time, so I'm affraid I will mess up something, OK?
General Discussion
Windows Not Genuine after full reinstall
Reinstalled my laptop at work recently. It had previously been running 32bit Win7 Professional and dual-booted with Linux. When reinstalling, I used a 64bit disc and completely wiped the OEM data from the hard drive. I ensured I got the licence key before doing this (as have no idea where the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Best way to reinstall the Operating System?
I was actually looking for something else but nonetheless thanks a lot. Anyways, I need your suggestion. I just bought a new PC and it has windows 8 preloaded. I want to use dualboot. How would you go about installing. I did dualboot but I wish to redo it. I wish to dualboot windows 7 and...
Installation & Setup
Genuine OEM Win Home Prem x64 fresh reinstall 0Xc004F063 error
Hello guys, A month back i purchased an SSD for my old HP envy laptop(purchased in 2010). I removed the old harddrive and chuked in the ssd in its place and reinstalled the windows home prem x64 edition using the the key extracted from my windows installation on my old harddrive. Everything...
Windows Updates & Activation
reinstall of win7 causes black screen and not genuine warning
Recently my PC has begun to work painfully slowly (40+mins to get to the desktop from sleep mode). I think it started happening after the power had gone out so i assumed there was some corrupt windows files. Did a sfc scan and it returned no problems. Tried to run startup repair and still no...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 shows as not genuine after reinstall - MGA results inside
Hello I have a Win7 Home Premium OS installed on an LG laptop - original windows that came with the laptop. A few weeks ago my HD crashed, I sent the laptop for a warranty repair. The HD was replaced and Windows re-installed. Since then i receive a message every few hours saying that my...
Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App