Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading to a new motherboard and cpu.


30 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Upgrading to a new motherboard and cpu.

What are the things i need to do before installing the new motherboard? like reformatting, removing chipset drivers and such etc., I'm new at this so please explain carefully.
OR
should i just remove the old motherboard and then put the new motherboard in and boot up with CD and then install OS?

Current Specs:
MB: Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L
GC: Nvidia GTX 550 Ti
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core e6600 3.06 ghz

The new motherboard: Asus P8H61-MLE/USB3
The new CPU: Intel i5 2500k Core 3.3 Ghz

If can, please reply with step by step. thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

How to remove old motherboard: http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_mother.htm

How to install new motherboard: http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_board.htm

Use this tutorial to image your operating system then restore the image after the new motherboard is fitted.

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

If it were my personal choice I would clean install Windows, but others may have better advice.

Clean Install Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

thank you for the reply, i know how to remove and install the motherboard, i just want to know if i need to reformat ,and remove chipset drivers?

and also i said:
"should i just remove the old motherboard and then put the new motherboard in and boot up with CD and then install OS?" i that ok to do?

and yes i am going to clean install, i don't know when to clean install, should i clean install with my old motherboard or my new motherboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Apr 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

I would suggest this:
  1. Remove the old motherboard.
  2. Install the new motherboard.
  3. Clean install Windows, during which time you can delete all partitions and create a new one, which you'll then install Windows on.
  4. Install chipset drivers.
You may want to download and save to an external media the driver for your network adapter. This will enable to get on line after you have re-installed Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

In rare cases Windows 7 will start with a new mobo. If so it should swap out drivers and eventually prompt for reactivation since such a major hardware change requires reactivation to update MS servers.

If not boot the Windows 7 DVD to follow these steps which are the same for retail: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Be sure to back up your data externally first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
I would suggest this:
  1. Remove the old motherboard.
  2. Install the new motherboard.
  3. Clean install Windows, during which time you can delete all partitions and create a new one, which you'll then install Windows on.
  4. Install chipset drivers.
You may want to download and save to an external media the driver for your network adapter. This will enable to get on line after you have re-installed Windows.
this is what reply i want, simple. Thank you, im going to try to install my motherboard today. Thank you all for your time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

I hope you bought new RAM---you don't mention it.

You might want to go to Asus and download the LAN driver for that motherboard.

The standard advice is to clean install, get anti-virus and a net connection going, download Windows updates, install chipset drivers, and then install any other drivers if you need any (look at Device Manager)---in that order.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I hope you bought new RAM---you don't mention it.

You might want to go to Asus and download the LAN driver for that motherboard.

The standard advice is to clean install, get anti-virus and a net connection going, download Windows updates, install chipset drivers, and then install any other drivers if you need any (look at Device Manager)---in that order.
is it really neccesary to buy new RAM? i have 8 gb of ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anon34 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I hope you bought new RAM---you don't mention it.

You might want to go to Asus and download the LAN driver for that motherboard.

The standard advice is to clean install, get anti-virus and a net connection going, download Windows updates, install chipset drivers, and then install any other drivers if you need any (look at Device Manager)---in that order.
is it really neccesary to buy new RAM? i have 8 gb of ram.
Your original specs as stated:

MB: Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core e6600 3.06 ghz

I am not sure if you need new RAM actually. I had too quickly assumed you used DDR 2 with that e6600.

According to Gigabyte, that is a socket 775 board that uses DDR3 RAM.

It might be OK?

I'd wait for more input.

More complete specs of the RAM you now have might help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #10

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anon34 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I hope you bought new RAM---you don't mention it.

You might want to go to Asus and download the LAN driver for that motherboard.

The standard advice is to clean install, get anti-virus and a net connection going, download Windows updates, install chipset drivers, and then install any other drivers if you need any (look at Device Manager)---in that order.
is it really neccesary to buy new RAM? i have 8 gb of ram.
Your original specs as stated:

MB: Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core e6600 3.06 ghz

I am not sure if you need new RAM actually. I had too quickly assumed you used DDR 2 with that e6600.

According to Gigabyte, that is a socket 775 board that uses DDR3 RAM.

It might be OK?

I'd wait for more input.

More complete specs of the RAM you now have might help.
nah, Im using ddr3 rams
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading to a new motherboard and cpu.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Upgrading to a new motherboard and cpu.
Thread Forum
Solved upgrading my motherboard Hardware & Devices
Upgrading Motherboard. Is a reformat required? Hardware & Devices
Upgrading motherboard on Windows 7 Hardware & Devices
Is SATA III worth upgrading my motherboard for? Hardware & Devices
Upgrading Motherboard Without Reinstalling OS Installation & Setup
Upgrading CPU & Motherboard. What do you suggest? Hardware & Devices
Upgrading motherboard, and or hard drives Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33