Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Suprisingly Simple Install


01 Sep 2009   #1

7 - 7100
 
 
Suprisingly Simple Install

Just weighing in on how my install for windows 7 ultimate RTM went. Previously using the RC until now. I ran the install while inside of windows 7 RC and chose the fresh install option. Things I've noticed:
-Downloaded all needed drivers for my laptop first which I thought was extremely intuitive and proactive
-Install rebooted a couple of times and performed flawlessly!
-Very little input needed.

Post Install:
-Much snappier ...Almost feels like I'm running XP on top of an i7 quad!
-Everything in the root of C was copied into Windows.old, including the old program files folder. Very nice.
-Encrypted files worked perfectly after I imported the key from my last install.

I give it a 5 of 5 stars. No bugs encountered yet after a few days. Installed VMWare, Office 2007, Thunderbird, AVG, Adobe, iTunes and AlwaySync, and still seems as snappy as a fresh install! I'm taking a snapshot now from the backup tool. Running a Dell Lattitude E6500 - 8GB and 320GB.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Sep 2009   #2

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ran007reed View Post
Just weighing in on how my install for windows 7 ultimate RTM went. Previously using the RC until now. I ran the install while inside of windows 7 RC and chose the fresh install option. Things I've noticed:
-Downloaded all needed drivers for my laptop first which I thought was extremely intuitive and proactive
-Install rebooted a couple of times and performed flawlessly!
-Very little input needed.

Post Install:
-Much snappier ...Almost feels like I'm running XP on top of an i7 quad!
-Everything in the root of C was copied into Windows.old, including the old program files folder. Very nice.
-Encrypted files worked perfectly after I imported the key from my last install.

I give it a 5 of 5 stars. No bugs encountered yet after a few days. Installed VMWare, Office 2007, Thunderbird, AVG, Adobe, iTunes and AlwaySync, and still seems as snappy as a fresh install! I'm taking a snapshot now from the backup tool. Running a Dell Lattitude E6500 - 8GB and 320GB.
Nice post, ran007reed.

Thank you.

Good to hear about non-problems...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #3

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ran007reed View Post
Just weighing in on how my install for windows 7 ultimate RTM went. Previously using the RC until now. I ran the install while inside of windows 7 RC and chose the fresh install option. Things I've noticed:
-Downloaded all needed drivers for my laptop first which I thought was extremely intuitive and proactive
-Install rebooted a couple of times and performed flawlessly!
-Very little input needed.

Post Install:
-Much snappier ...Almost feels like I'm running XP on top of an i7 quad!
-Everything in the root of C was copied into Windows.old, including the old program files folder. Very nice.
-Encrypted files worked perfectly after I imported the key from my last install.

I give it a 5 of 5 stars. No bugs encountered yet after a few days. Installed VMWare, Office 2007, Thunderbird, AVG, Adobe, iTunes and AlwaySync, and still seems as snappy as a fresh install! I'm taking a snapshot now from the backup tool. Running a Dell Lattitude E6500 - 8GB and 320GB.
I just love reading posts like this... another satisfied customer!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Sep 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Im not at all surprised. Of the 8 32 bit installs I have done only 1 had had any problems at all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #5

7 - 7100
 
 

The OS' integration with the dell drivers were thorough. I'm impressed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

what kind of computer did you install onto? HP? Dell? I'm just curious I can't wait for this to come out!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #7

7 - 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wii Master 64 View Post
what kind of computer did you install onto? HP? Dell? I'm just curious I can't wait for this to come out!
I can tell that you're excited! You totally overlooked me saying I have a Dell Lattitude E6500. It's okay. I do the same thing when prescribing medicine to my patients all the time!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64 finally!
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ran007reed View Post
I do the same thing when prescribing medicine to my patients all the time!
Could you give me your address?
Glad to know it went fine. I myself had one problem, caused by my CPU. All other 5 or 6 installs of Windows 7 x86 or x64 were a breeze as you described.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #9

7 - 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wallyinnc View Post
I myself had one problem, caused by my CPU. All other 5 or 6 installs of Windows 7 x86 or x64 were a breeze as you described.
I believe the 486SX is a little slow for windows 7. You might have to swap it out with a 486DX overdrive chip.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #10

Windows 7 x64 finally!
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ran007reed View Post
I believe the 486SX is a little slow for windows 7. You might have to swap it out with a 486DX overdrive chip.
Mine was a very awkward thing. I have this AMD 64 X2 4200+ that doesn't run Windows 7 x64. I tried everything. I tried it in 2 different motherboards and nothing. It just doesn't work. But it runs Vista 63, Ubuntu 64, Windows 7 x86.
I do have a Pentium II, but I abstained from trying on that one
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Suprisingly Simple Install




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Suprisingly Simple Install
Thread Forum
2 simple install questions General Discussion
I know this is simple but...... Backup and Restore
All Simple Volumes General Discussion
just a simple help i know you can solve it please BSOD Help and Support
Need Desperate yet Simple Help! General Discussion
Must be a simple fix right??..... Performance & Maintenance
Simple Probably but I missed it Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33