Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Attempting repairs hang for 24 hours... USB install.

25 Jun 2012   #51
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Very easy to clean off the hard disk.

When you boot from your USB stick,
at the very first dialog that appears:

Use SHIFT+F10 keycombo.

This will put you at a command prompt that will say X:>
The Win 7 install routine has created a disk in ram and given it the letter X:

Now you are going to use diskpart once again and perform a CLEAN but not a CLEAN ALL.
The CLEAN will write zeros over the area where the partition table would have been and also where boot info would have been. End result is the disk is for all practical purposes a virgin disk.

Here are the commands:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0
(assuming that's your hard disk)
DETAIL DISK (just to make 100% you got the correct disk)
CLEAN (to wipe out the first 64 sectors)
EXIT (to exit diskpart)
EXIT (to exit the command shell)

Now you can continue with the install.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jun 2012   #52
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

As I look back,
Where did you get the ISO file?

In Windows Explorer,
rt-click on the usb drive
choose properties
General tab
what is the Used Space value?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #53
Ghosttt

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Very easy to clean off the hard disk.

When you boot from your USB stick,
at the very first dialog that appears:

Use SHIFT+F10 keycombo.

This will put you at a command prompt that will say X:>
The Win 7 install routine has created a disk in ram and given it the letter X:

Now you are going to use diskpart once again and perform a CLEAN but not a CLEAN ALL.
The CLEAN will write zeros over the area where the partition table would have been and also where boot info would have been. End result is the disk is for all practical purposes a virgin disk.

Here are the commands:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0
(assuming that's your hard disk)
DETAIL DISK (just to make 100% you got the correct disk)
CLEAN (to wipe out the first 64 sectors)
EXIT (to exit diskpart)
EXIT (to exit the command shell)

Now you can continue with the install.
Very first dialouge? Like what do you mean?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jun 2012   #54
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

If I remember right, the very first one you confirm that your language is english.

When you start up the Win 7 usb stick, then at the very first window shown where you would normally simply hit Enter, then that's where you want to use the SHIFT+F10 combo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #55
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

I'm see if I can't "copy" the pic from one of Brink's excellent tutorials to show you precisely, but it's simply the first one where you are expected to do something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #56
Ghosttt

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
If I remember right, the very first one you confirm that your language is english.

When you start up the Win 7 usb stick, then at the very first window shown where you would normally simply hit Enter, then that's where you want to use the SHIFT+F10 combo.
Okay i set the USB to first boot in BIOS, my laptop shows Acer screen, Then windows is loading files, then Starting Windows with logo, then black screen with white cursor. Stuck here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #57
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

If you do not have the USB plugged in, then does the same thing (black screen white cursor) still happen?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #58
Ghosttt

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
If you do not have the USB plugged in, then does the same thing (black screen white cursor) still happen?
No i get A disk read error has occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart and its an infinite loop right there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #59
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Where did you get the ISO?

Using Windows Explorer, then as previously explained what is the "Used Space"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2012   #60
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ghosttt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
If you do not have the USB plugged in, then does the same thing (black screen white cursor) still happen?
No i get A disk read error has occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart and its an infinite loop right there
Actually, that's good that means that, without the usb plugged in, the acer tried to boot from the disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Attempting repairs hang for 24 hours... USB install.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Startup recovery stuck on attempting repairs
My laptop crashed and re-booted, on start up it went into startup recovery, But has been attepting rapairs for over 10 hours. I have tried to get to system restore using win 7 disc but it just goes back to startup repair and sticks. so I never get to advanced options. Anyone any ideas...
Installation & Setup
Attempting to add new user account causes system to hang
I have a Dell machine running windows 7 x64, all updates installed. It was originally on part of a company domain, but was moved off of a domain onto the local work group using the appropriate password. Since that point whenever i try to add/change a user account, the system hangs. I can still do...
General Discussion
Stuck on "attempting repairs"
Hey guys, My laptop (Sony Vaio, 3 yr old) is stuck on attempting repairs in the startup repair section. I dropped it, it was still working, 20 min later a blue screen came on and it said (amongst many other things) something about a failed memory dump. Then it restarted, went to a...
BSOD Help and Support
Many startup repairs, DCOM server error, system hang on shutdown, etc
Hi All, I have an HPE 520 NL, x64 desktop, windows 7 home premium SP1. I have had many intermittent startup problems, with some elements hanging at shut down. I'm not well enought versed in this to figure it all out myself -- too computer illterate. Everything from DCOM servor error 10010, to...
General Discussion
Attempting repairs... Reparing disk errors.
Plz help my computer that ive had for about a week now was running fine starting up and all that was good. Then the other day i started it up but it was stuck on starting windows so i tried restarting it and it put me in startup repair so i left it on for about 8 hours and it was stuck on the sam...
Hardware & Devices
How long to complete: "Attempting repairs... Repairing disk errors"?
I'm trying to repair a crashed Win 7 computer. I booted off the installation disc and ask it to do a repair. Currently it's "Attempting repairs... Repairing disk errors..." It says this may take over an hour and it's been doing this for just over 2 days (blue bars running across the screen)....
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App