Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Clean install not so clean

03 Jul 2012   #11
Steve801

Win7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If the screen blacks out after loading it often means a TV tuner or other output is kicking in to TV, projector, etc. Did you previously have these settings? Is it outputted in BIOS only to VGA or DVI monitor?
Not present. No. The primary display is the only one set (it's a laptop).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Try reinstalling after wiping the HD with Diskpart Clean Command from DVD command line in case old boot code is interfering.
Deleted and formatted before installing Windows last night. Is the included format utility insufficient?

Also, restore worked and am D/L updates in groups.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Then only install the network driver to get online, do the initial update that is required with reboot.
Initial update with reboot is the 80 important and 3 optional updates.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Now look closely at the Updates both Important and Optional to see what drivers are given. Is a newer Display driver there?
I did notice there is an AMD 6300 update that I had not noticed before. If I had noticed it, I would not have installed it; I already have the driver installer I want.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
...work through the Update in small groups as suggested...
Yes.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Then post back screenshot of any other missing drivers in Device Manager.
None are displayed as missing so far, these appear to be only updates to the currently installed ones.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jul 2012   #12
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Steve801 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If the screen blacks out after loading it often means a TV tuner or other output is kicking in to TV, projector, etc. Did you previously have these settings? Is it outputted in BIOS only to VGA or DVI monitor?
Not present. No. The primary display is the only one set (it's a laptop).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Try reinstalling after wiping the HD with Diskpart Clean Command from DVD command line in case old boot code is interfering.
Deleted and formatted before installing Windows last night. Is the included format utility insufficient?

Also, restore worked and am D/L updates in groups.

If it was I wouldn't have suggested Diskpart Clean Command and explain it also wipes the boot sector against possible corruption. But proceed for now.


Initial update with reboot is the 80 important and 3 optional updates.

Then report back the answer about drivers.


I did notice there is an AMD 6300 update that I had not noticed before. If I had noticed it, I would not have installed it; I already have the driver installer I want.

So you are not following the step in the tutorial which clearly says to install the drivers updated by Windows Updates? And where did you get the driver which knows better than Windows 7?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
...work through the Update in small groups as suggested...
Yes.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Then post back screenshot of any other missing drivers in Device Manager.
None are displayed as missing so far, these appear to be only updates to the currently installed ones.
Which is what you want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2012   #13
Steve801

Win7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Steve801 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If the screen blacks out after loading it often means a TV tuner or other output is kicking in to TV, projector, etc. Did you previously have these settings? Is it outputted in BIOS only to VGA or DVI monitor?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Steve801 View Post

Not present. No. The primary display is the only one set (it's a laptop).



Deleted and formatted before installing Windows last night. Is the included format utility insufficient?

Also, restore worked and am D/L updates in groups.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
If it was I wouldn't have suggested Diskpart Clean Command and explain it also wipes the boot sector against possible corruption. But proceed for now.
[/QUOTE]

I had assumed that that's what you meant, but wanted to make sure.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Steve801 View Post
Initial update with reboot is the 80 important and 3 optional updates.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Then report back the answer about drivers.
I mentioned in my original post that the network driver was the only item installed before Windows ushered me into 80 updates.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Steve801 View Post
I did notice there is an AMD 6300 update that I had not noticed before. If I had noticed it, I would not have installed it; I already have the driver installer I want.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
So you are not following the step in the tutorial which clearly says to install the drivers updated by Windows Updates?
Alright, maybe there was a miscommunication.

Upon installing Windows fresh, Windows update returns 80+3 updates. I thought it should have displayed these in stages, but it didn't. It automatically selected all 80, I looked at the 3 and chose them as well.

After working with Windows update, my computer stopped functioning. After booting, but having not having a functioning display, I realized it must be the video driver. To my knowledge, ntbtlog describes this well. After reverting to a point before the mass update, I have a working laptop. I am now installing the updates in blocks so that multiple restore points may be created.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
And where did you get the driver which knows better than Windows 7?


Toshiba. AMD also has a version, but I will compare the version installed by Toshiba first and see if AMD's is updated. I believe Toshiba's could have specialized functions, but I'm not sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jul 2012   #14
gregrocker

 

Why are you ignoring the tutorial's clear instruction to use Windows Update drivers over Toshiba or AMD, unless performance requires changing it out? This is where clean reinstallers get in some trouble.

Isolate the drivers from the offered Updates and install them first to see if they are the problem. Then go back and check again for Updates to see if it delivers more drivers. If not run with those drivers awhile to see how performance is, check Device Manager to make sure no drivers are missing or else supply them.

After you've cleared the drivers, then go back to Updates and install them in the smaller groups to isolate any which cause problems, Restore to before that group if so, then install them singly to find the problem update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2012   #15
Steve801

Win7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Why are you ignoring the tutorial's clear instruction to use Windows Update drivers over Toshiba or AMD, unless performance requires changing it out?
Well, at the risk of sounding rude to someone who is trying to help me (I don't mean to be rude, but it may sound that way): Because I am typing this from safe mode.

I am ignoring the tutorial's clear instructions because the suggestion to use the Windows driver for the AMD 6300 series does not work for me. I have just followed your clear and precise instructions to reformat (including the MBR) and have reinstalled Windows again, precisely following the tutorial's instructions. I chose to install ONLY the Realtek WLAN driver and then went to the Windows Update, where I was asked for the first time since this started to update Windows Update. I chose ONLY the AMD 6300 driver from update, NOTHING else and installed that. I rebooted to complete the installation. There was nothing on the display, not a single pixel was lit.

I now realize my miscommunication - I did not mean that I had intended from the beginning to install Toshiba or AMD video drivers. I realize the advice of the tutorial. I meant that I had tried to install the Windows Update drivers and it did not work for me, therefore I would instead use the AMD/Toshiba drivers I had stored previously (in the case of just an ocurrance).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
This is where clean reinstallers get in some trouble.
Yes, I'm in trouble.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Isolate the drivers from the offered Updates and install them first to see if they are the problem.
It is.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
Then go back and check again for Updates to see if it delivers more drivers.
I do not see a method to update (via windows update) or install (via the AMD/Toshiba drivers I have stored) in safe mode, which is the only way to function for me.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
If not run with those drivers awhile to see how performance is, check Device Manager to make sure no drivers are missing or else supply them.
Performance with the AMD 6300 driver from Update is non-functional.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
After you've cleared the drivers, then go back to Updates and install them in the smaller groups to isolate any which cause problems, Restore to before that group if so, then install them singly to find the problem update.
I have isolated the problematic driver already. What should I do now?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2012   #16
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

So you are sure the AMD 6300 driver is the problem? Perform a system restore from safe mode to a point the system was working. Please post back if succesfull
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2012   #17
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
So you are sure the AMD 6300 driver is the problem? Perform a system restore from safe mode to a point the system was working. Please post back if succesfull
If succesfull delete the driver totally if possible. Then goto AMD Driver Autodetect
download and run it. Follow instructions given there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2012   #18
Steve801

Win7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
So you are sure the AMD 6300 driver is the problem? Perform a system restore from safe mode to a point the system was working. Please post back if succesfull
Positive. Reboot after the wireless and no issues. Install the 6300 from MS and no display. Already restored, am now installing AMD catalyst to see if this works.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
If succesfull delete the driver totally if possible. Then goto AMD Driver Autodetect download and run it. Follow instructions given there
I downloaded and backed up the driver installer (not just the detector) before installing Windows yesterday. This is one of the drivers gregrocker and I have been arguing over previously. He has been trying to instruct me to use the driver supplied by Windows update, I have been trying to explain that that driver does not work for me. Maybe I have been unclear in my descriptions, I don't know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2012   #19
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Greg was right and you as well!! MS drivers are most of he time good and working without issues. If MS driver doesn't work you have to try another. Does AMD Driver Autodetect detect your graphics card? And does the driver install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2012   #20
gregrocker

 

Sorry I am traveling and not able to be as attentive to the progress. I understand the Windows Update display driver is not working correctly and forcing you into Safe Mode, correct?

Did you next try the Toshiba display/video driver for your model since it might be modified by Toshiba?

If so and it failed so you are now importing the driver from AMD, then I do not recommend the full Catalyst bloatware - just the driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Clean install not so clean




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
How to "Clean" or "Clean All" a Disk with the Diskpart Command This will show you how to use the clean or clean all command on a selected disk to delete all of it's MBR or GPT partitions, volumes, and any hidden sector information on MBR disks is overwritten. The data on the HDD is not...
Tutorials
How can I do a clean erase of my SSD to clean install Windows 7?
I think I have a virus or malware and have been unable to get rid of it after many tries, and I am having multiple problems with this home built computer running Windows 7Pro 64bit. I installed a retail version of Windows 7Pro 64bit and I have my original installation disk. I want to do a clean...
Installation & Setup
Formating 3tb drive..diskpart clean or clean all
I am having to format a 3tb drive that I am installing Windows 7 on and I need to know do I need to do clean all or just clean in diskpart? What happened is I did not know about the GPT (first time dealing with a drive over 2tb) and I just went through the motions like you do with installing. Well...
Installation & Setup
Should I clean my HDD with Parted Magic or Diskpart clean all command?
Hi everyone i have a question about HDD Clean and also question about Win 7 64 bit :) I want to wiped out my all HDD data inside i want to delete all information like a brand new HDD. I heard that there is a program called Parted Magic can do this and also Diskpart clean all command too. ...
General Discussion
Clean Install of Win7 - Wipe Hard Drive Clean
Hi Folks, I just did a clean install of Win7 and must have done something wrong. I found a file called Windows.old.:confused: I would like to wipe my hard drive completely clean and then install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. How do I accomplish this task? It's a good time to...
Installation & Setup
clean XP hard drive using win 7 clean commands?
Hi, I want to clean/erase my xp hard drive. followed the tutorial on this forum and got to cmd - diskpart - select disk - clean all - exit but it weon't do anything. I put clean ), O clean, cean all O, etc and it just says Im not doing it right and so nothing happens. I can't find any similar...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App