Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Burning Instructions

06 Sep 2009   #1

windows XP
 
 
Burning Instructions

I'm sort of new to burning an OS on a disk, if anyone could answer this question for me, it would be of tremendous help. I have the current files for the RC1 and just recently was interested in actually installing it, but when i unpacked the files i couldn't figure out what to actually burn. I burn all the files on the cd and that didn't work. i tried originally making all the files into an iso and putting on the disk but again that didnt work. Any suggestions?

I have the option to burn the files on the disk but imgburn asks for a boot image, what is the boot image i'm looking for?

thank you for any advice on the situation!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Sep 2009   #2

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I'm sort of new to burning an OS on a disk, if anyone could answer this question for me, it would be of tremendous help. I have the current files for the RC1 and just recently was interested in actually installing it, but when i unpacked the files i couldn't figure out what to actually burn. I burn all the files on the cd and that didn't work. i tried originally making all the files into an iso and putting on the disk but again that didnt work. Any suggestions?

I have the option to burn the files on the disk but imgburn asks for a boot image, what is the boot image i'm looking for?

thank you for any advice on the situation!
If the RC1 that you have is a .iso file, roughly 2.5 GB, that's all you need.

No reason to 'unpack' the iso.

Since you already have ImgBurn, you might want to look here:

What Write Speed do I use to burn W7?

You doin' 32 or 64?

Good luck, Avenger!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #3

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

From the sounds of it the install you have is for upgrades and install's from a P.E. environment.
If you have a legit RC1 you should be able to download the .iso version and burn it with an image buring software. My favorite is AstroBurn.
If you would be more interested in a copy of Windows 7 Pro for $20.00+tax I would check out this topic.
Windows 7 Pro $19 for students
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Sep 2009   #4

windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I'm sort of new to burning an OS on a disk, if anyone could answer this question for me, it would be of tremendous help. I have the current files for the RC1 and just recently was interested in actually installing it, but when i unpacked the files i couldn't figure out what to actually burn. I burn all the files on the cd and that didn't work. i tried originally making all the files into an iso and putting on the disk but again that didnt work. Any suggestions?

I have the option to burn the files on the disk but imgburn asks for a boot image, what is the boot image i'm looking for?

thank you for any advice on the situation!
If the RC1 that you have is a .iso file, roughly 2.5 GB, that's all you need.

No reason to 'unpack' the iso.

Since you already have ImgBurn, you might want to look here:

What Write Speed do I use to burn W7?

You doin' 32 or 64?

Good luck, Avenger!

wow i'm propably the biggest idiot ever, the file was being read as a zip file but i think it is already an iso and i was overlooking it. I'm actually burning it right now to check, if it works ill post back and continue to /faceplam myself for the rest of the evening. Thanks for the quick replies and suggestion towards common sense doh!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #5

windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mckillwashere View Post
From the sounds of it the install you have is for upgrades and install's from a P.E. environment.
If you have a legit RC1 you should be able to download the .iso version and burn it with an image buring software. My favorite is AstroBurn.
If you would be more interested in a copy of Windows 7 Pro for $20.00+tax I would check out this topic.
Windows 7 Pro $19 for students

thanks for the link, looks interesting! if this doesnt work i'll check into it, thank you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #6

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

The thing about rc1
Is that it will go into self destruct more REALLY soon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #7

windows XP
 
 

Sure enough, it worked! i totally missed the fact that winrar was picking up the iso file as a rar file so thought i had to unzip it. If the mods wish to delete this post they can, otherwise i can be made an example of lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #8

windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mckillwashere View Post
The thing about rc1
Is that it will go into self destruct more REALLY soon.
how soon?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #9

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

March 10th, a little further off than i thought.
But the RC's cannot be upgraded only complete installs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Burning Instructions





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Burning Instructions
Thread Forum
BSOD before able to do Posting Instructions BSOD Help and Support
Solved Laptops Use-age Instructions. General Discussion
Instructions Installation & Setup
PLEASE HELP! (Simple Instructions..please!) BSOD Help and Support
no cd rom gaming instructions? General Discussion
Windows 7 Native Burning OK, other burning apps NOT OK Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33