Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 8 Accidental Overwrite Windows 7


13 Jul 2012   #1

Windows 8 Dev Preview
 
 
Windows 8 Accidental Overwrite Windows 7

Hi everyone. I installed Windows 8 today. I did partition the disk like in a guide, however, I missed where to install...
I downloaded a Windows 7 iso image today and burned it to a disk, will I be able to install Windows 7 again from a disc?
I still have Windows.old folder in my C drive, is there any way to dual boot Win8 and Windows 7? Thanks!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2012   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

You can roll back to Windows 7 using windows.old, then correctly boot the Win8 installer to install to a second partition. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760/

Or you can Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to the second partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64 Linux Mint 16
 
 

What do you mean you missed ? You should have installed 8 on the partition you created.

W8 is terrible! Don`t bother installing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jul 2012   #4

Windows 8 Pro 9200 x64 w/Media Center
 
 

Welcome to the forum Aquethys! In the .iso there is a folder named Sources. In this folder is a second instance of the setup.exe file. Running this file gives you the option for a custom install. This allows you to choose the partition you want to install on. The setup.exe file in the root directory of the .iso will only install to the C:\ drive, therefore overwriting any info on the drive or placing it in a folder named windowsold...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

Always boot the installer, never run it from OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #6

Windows 8 Dev Preview
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
Welcome to the forum Aquethys! In the .iso there is a folder named Sources. In this folder is a second instance of the setup.exe file. Running this file gives you the option for a custom install. This allows you to choose the partition you want to install on. The setup.exe file in the root directory of the .iso will only install to the C:\ drive, therefore overwriting any info on the drive or placing it in a folder named windowsold...
How do I open the iso file?
Do I click setup.exe while logged in?
Does this mean that my entire c drive will be wiped and my data cleared?
Ugh.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #7
Microsoft MVP

 

To install Win8 to the partition you wanted you needed to boot the DVD you burned, select Custom Install, then choose the drive you want Win8 installed upon. You must have chosen the wrong drive or run the DVD from Windows 7.

Have you rolled back to Windows 7 or reinstalled it yet? Do you want to do that now? If so don't just ignore my advice but reply to it so I can help you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #8

Windows 8 Dev Preview
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
To install Win8 to the partition you wanted you needed to boot the DVD you burned, select Custom Install, then choose the drive you want Win8 installed upon. You must have chosen the wrong drive or run the DVD from Windows 7.

Have you rolled back to Windows 7 or reinstalled it yet? Do you want to do that now? If so don't just ignore my advice but reply to it so I can help you.
Yes please, I want to reinstall it from windows.old...is that possible? If so, do I just reboot windows 8 with the cd in the disk drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

First of all back up your files from windows.old then follow the steps in the blue link showing how to roll back to Windows 7 using windows.old. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760/

If you have any problems, then boot the Windows 7 installer to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to the other partition you had originally planned for Win8. It will still configure a Dual Boot menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #10

Windows 8 Dev Preview
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
First of all back up your files from windows.old then follow the steps in the blue link showing how to roll back to Windows 7 using windows.old. How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

If you have any problems, then boot the Windows 7 installer to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to the other partition you had originally planned for Win8. It will still configure a Dual Boot menu.
Even with a CD with windows 7 if I restart my computer a Windows 7 installation does not pop up,.

If I click on the CD under my computer...and run setup.exe it says
The version of this program is not compatible with the version of windows you're running.


Downloading 32 bit now to see if that works..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 8 Accidental Overwrite Windows 7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 8 Accidental Overwrite Windows 7
Thread Forum
Cipher Command - Overwrite Deleted Data in Windows Tutorials
Folders-Can I prevent accidental deletion? Software
Accidental logging out Browsers & Mail
The Accidental Fall Chillout Room
accidental windows upgrade General Discussion
overwrite windows 7 files using dvd Installation & Setup
Accidental deletion of sent files Outlook 07 Microsoft Office

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33