Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive


21 Jul 2012   #1

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 
can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive

Hi ieeuu, I got one problem,
when i reboot (or restart) my computer and boot from the DVD and then begin the Installation to install new window, in the drive option, I can't delete and create new partitions, the delete and create new button are all turn gray colour (inactive).
Inside the Window, I can create new partition and delete it for disk management.
My question is, I want to do a clean installation, that's mean I want to delete all of the partitions and create new primary partitions for my new window.
I have only one disk partition and in that window 7 is installed.

But the partition is "Simple Volume" and i want to make it a primary partition so i want to delete and make new primary partitions before window 7 installation but i am unable to delete drive as i said above.

Also 100 Mb reserved partition is missing in my system.
Please help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jul 2012   #2

win7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #3

 
 

Hello prnjn, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

First, the create and delete functions will be "grayed out" until you select the partition (or the empty space) with your mouse. In the snap shots in Step 6 and 7, it shows you must click on the partition or empty space.

Second, please do not be confused by the words "simple volume" as that is just another way of saying "primary partition". If you have only one partition on the hard drive and only one hard drive in your computer and it has Windows 7 already installed, then it is a "primary partition". If you wish, you can go to Windows and capture a screen shot of "Disk Management", attach it to a your next post, so we can see what you see there.

If you use your mouse to select the partition that now has Windows 7 and delete the partition, you will not need to create any partitions to do a fresh, clean install of Windows 7. The Installer will automatically add the 100MB and primary partitions during the install.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Jul 2012   #4

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Take a read here and see if that is what you are looking for.
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Clean Install Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #5

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tman69 View Post

This is useless to my problem "inactive and grayed " delete button , i.e delete button not working so i am unable to delete the partition before window installation.

Please post a solution.
I will be great full.

Please Help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #6

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Hello prnjn, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

First, the create and delete functions will be "grayed out" until you select the partition (or the empty space) with your mouse. In the snap shots in Step 6 and 7, it shows you must click on the partition or empty space.

Second, please do not be confused by the words "simple volume" as that is just another way of saying "primary partition". If you have only one partition on the hard drive and only one hard drive in your computer and it has Windows 7 already installed, then it is a "primary partition". If you wish, you can go to Windows and capture a screen shot of "Disk Management", attach it to a your next post, so we can see what you see there.

If you use your mouse to select the partition that now has Windows 7 and delete the partition, you will not need to create any partitions to do a fresh, clean install of Windows 7. The Installer will automatically add the 100MB and primary partitions during the install.

Cheers!
Robert
Thank you for replying me so fast.
Even when i select the drive/partition , the options of delete and new is still grayed and inactive .
I can not delete the drive/partition , hence can not completely unallocate drive and hence can not make new partition so that 100 mb gets reserved.
also the drive color in disk management was green border while for primary partitions it is used to be blue as per my knowledge .
I also formatted the drive so i have no window installed now .
i don't have much knowledge .
Please help .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #7

 
 

prnjn, it sounds like the partition on your hard drive is now what is called a "Logical Partition" (green). The Windows drive utility is to limited to help you here. I would suggest you use the "Partition Wizard" utility. You will need to download the "iso" file and "burn iso to disk", that will give you a bootable CD. Boot to the CD and you will be able to delete all partitions from your hard drive and then do your "Clean Install".

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #8

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Take a read here and see if that is what you are looking for.

Clean Install Windows 7

For the above link in step 8, thats what i am saying sir ,
The "delete" button is gray in color and inactive , i.e delete button not working and i am unable to delete the partition to make the space unallocated.
This is the problem .

Please post a solution sir ,
i will be great full to you .

Please help .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #9
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello prnjn, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You could use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to open a command prompt at boot with your installation disc.
Command Prompt at Startup
Afterwards, you could use the tutorial below to run the Clean command to wipe the HDD drive out to be "Unallocated Space" afterwards.
Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
When finished, you should be able to restart the Windows 7 installation to be able to select the unallocated space to install Windows 7 to and get the "System Reserved" partition.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #10

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello prnjn, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You could use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to open a command prompt at boot with your installation disc.
Command Prompt at Startup
Afterwards, you could use the tutorial below to run the Clean command to wipe the HDD drive out to be "Unallocated Space" afterwards.
Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
When finished, you should be able to restart the Windows 7 installation to be able to select the unallocated space to install Windows 7 to and get the "System Reserved" partition.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
Thank you so much for a quick reply ..
But i am thinking what i should do in diskpart -command .

Should i run "clean" command or "clean all" command ?
I can wait even if "clean all" command takes more time.
But which command should be better to use ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive
Thread Forum
Solved How do I completely delete all of the files in HDD (E drive) General Discussion
cannot delete mapped drive Network & Sharing
Solved Drive partition no longer has delete option available - it WAS there General Discussion
Solved Will format the hard drive [D & C drive], delete the all file in it? Hardware & Devices
What Can i delete on my C drive after installation? Installation & Setup
need to delete OS off recovery drive! Backup and Restore
Delete from external drive Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33