Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive

21 Jul 2012   #11
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

I would recommend the Clean command. It's all that you need to do to wipe the HDD.
Clean all would take a long time to finish since it's doing a secure erase. You really don't need to do a secure erase in this case.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jul 2012   #12
niraj90

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I would recommend the Clean command. It's all that you need to do to wipe the HDD.
Clean all would take a long time to finish since it's doing a secure erase. You really don't need to do a secure erase in this case.
Thank you so much for your quick support.
And please don't mind .. your alien avator is kool .. I am thinking to make it my fb profile pic he he

Any way, Thank you for your support ,, i am happy now , i think there will be no prob now.

thank you so much
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #13
niraj90

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
prnjn, it sounds like the partition on your hard drive is now what is called a "Logical Partition" (green). The Windows drive utility is to limited to help you here. I would suggest you use the "Partition Wizard" utility. You will need to download the "iso" file and "burn iso to disk", that will give you a bootable CD. Boot to the CD and you will be able to delete all partitions from your hard drive and then do your "Clean Install".

Cheers!
Robert
Thank you so much for your quick support and help ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jul 2012   #14
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by prnjn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
prnjn, it sounds like the partition on your hard drive is now what is called a "Logical Partition" (green). The Windows drive utility is to limited to help you here. I would suggest you use the "Partition Wizard" utility. You will need to download the "iso" file and "burn iso to disk", that will give you a bootable CD. Boot to the CD and you will be able to delete all partitions from your hard drive and then do your "Clean Install".

Cheers!
Robert
Thank you so much for your quick support and help ..
You are most welcome! Any time!

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2012   #15
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by prnjn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I would recommend the Clean command. It's all that you need to do to wipe the HDD.
Clean all would take a long time to finish since it's doing a secure erase. You really don't need to do a secure erase in this case.
Thank you so much for your quick support.
And please don't mind .. your alien avator is kool .. I am thinking to make it my fb profile pic he he

Any way, Thank you for your support ,, i am happy now , i think there will be no prob now.

thank you so much
You're most welcome. I'm glad that we were able to help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2012   #16
niraj90

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
prnjn, it sounds like the partition on your hard drive is now what is called a "Logical Partition" (green). The Windows drive utility is to limited to help you here. I would suggest you use the "Partition Wizard" utility. You will need to download the "iso" file and "burn iso to disk", that will give you a bootable CD. Boot to the CD and you will be able to delete all partitions from your hard drive and then do your "Clean Install".

Cheers!
Robert
i did the same , i downloaded iso and burnt the CD .
when i run the CD at boot time and tried to delete the partition , it says "Partition wizard unable to delete logical drive"

As i stated earlier , the partition i have is a logical one and NOT primary one.

Please help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2012   #17
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

prnjn,

Were you not able to delete the drive with the "Clean" command in a command prompt at boot using either your retail Windows 7 installation disc or a System Repair Disc?

can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2012   #18
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by prnjn View Post
i did the same , i downloaded iso and burnt the CD .
when i run the CD at boot time and tried to delete the partition , it says "Partition wizard unable to delete logical drive"

As i stated earlier , the partition i have is a logical one and NOT primary one.

Please help
Working with "Logical Partitions" is more complicated than with "Primary Partitions". There are 2 parts to the "Logical Partition", first the "Extended Partition" then inside that you can create many "Logical Drives". Here is an old drive map of mine to look at:

can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive-virtual7_01.png

Notice the "Extended partition" is dark green (the box around the three logical drives and the free space), and the "Free space" inside the "Extended partition" is bright green (the bar across the top). Any partition inside the "Extended partition" is called a "Logical drive" and has a bright blue bar across the top.

Understanding Disk Partitions

If the colors you saw were bright green inside dark green, that would mean you have empty space inside an "Extended Partition". Either the command "Clean" in a command prompt window, or the Partition Wizard utility would have no problem removing the "Extended partition" for you.

If there is a "Logical drive" inside the "Extended partition", you must first delete the Logical drive before you can delete the Extended partition.

If you are still unable to delete the partition, perhaps the hard drive was converted to a "Dynamic drive" as some time?

One last thing would be to go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site and download their hard drive utility. There should be a utility to clean or erase the hard drive, write "zero's" to it or some way to reset it back to factory condition so you can install your OS.

Cheers!
Robert


My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #19
niraj90

Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
prnjn,

Were you not able to delete the drive with the "Clean" command in a command prompt at boot using either your retail Windows 7 installation disc or a System Repair Disc?

can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive
thank you ..
problem is solved by the two links given by you in earlier post ..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 can't delete drive coz in drive option ,delete and new button inactive




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Drive is not showing the delete option in disk management, how to dele
i am having a 150 gb hdd with windows 7 64bit on it, i have 3 partitions in it,now i baught a new hard disk so i want to make one single volume from the full 150 gb, i was able to delete one partition but another one is not showing the delete option please help :) thank you
Hardware & Devices
Delete my One Drive Account
I got ahead of myself and signed up for a One Drive account on my Win 7 machine. Now I would like to remove, delete, cancel or just get rid of the account. Will someone please tell me how to do that? Thank you very much.
General Discussion
Drive partition no longer has delete option available - it WAS there
Hi there I really need some help. My laptop hard drive arrived with it's disk partitioned left to right as per below : 1) no name - primary 16GB 2) C: drive - system,boot, active, crash dump,primary approx 80GB and now has 3.16 GB free
General Discussion
Will format the hard drive [D & C drive], delete the all file in it?
I need to format my hard drive so i wanna know Will format the hard drive , delete the all file in it? Like the software that i install , will they remain there or will be deleted?
Hardware & Devices
What Can i delete on my C drive after installation?
Alrite, Well i just installed windows 7 and now have alot of used space on my C Drive, Im going to take a screenshot. What can i delete that wont affect my computer? Im In the middle of Deleteing Windows.Old Cause i dont need it anymore. I have 2 Program Files, Idk which one i can delete and...
Installation & Setup
need to delete OS off recovery drive!
Please help; I'm at my wits' end here... I did the same thing this fellow did on this thread (accidentally installed a version of Windows 7 onto the recovery drive): http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/49760-accidently-installed-win7-recovery-d-2.html And I thought I had found...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App