Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need carification on removing dual boot from windows 7

03 Aug 2012   #1
Raner777

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Clarification on removing dual boot from windows 7

Hi All...
The time has come to remove windows xp from my duel boot configeration.
I bought a 240gb ssd and replaced my 60gb ssd. The 60gb ssd that I removed is where my windows 7 Pro is installed. So I cloned windows 7 from the 60gb ssd to the 240 ssd and removed the 60gb ssd and saved it, If I ever need to reinstall windows 7 I'll hook it back up and just copy it to my disc ounce more. I am running Windows 7 of the cloned copy and everything seems to be just fine.
Now the reason for the post.
I installed windows 7 first and installed windows xp after.
I am running three hard drives Which are C-ssd), F-ssd, G-Convention HD ...E: is parition of G drive..
All the posts I am seeing are with windows xp first and windows 7 after on duel boot configerations. Here are some links I looked at...
Remove Windows XP from Dual Boot
Remove XP from dual boot
REMOVING XP from Windows XP/7 Dual Boot ... revisited
My windows 7 is on C drive or 0 drive and xp is on E drive which is a 200gb partition of my 1TB drive. So in my case all I have to do is delete the partition that should remove xp but do I have to do anything else to remove all traces of xp...Thanks...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Aug 2012   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Raner777 View Post
Hi All...
The time has come to remove windows xp from my duel boot configeration.
I bought a 240gb ssd and replaced my 60gb ssd. The 60gb ssd that I removed is where my windows 7 Pro is installed. So I cloned windows 7 from the 60gb ssd to the 240 ssd and removed the 60gb ssd and saved it, If I ever need to reinstall windows 7 I'll hook it back up and just copy it to my disc ounce more. I am running Windows 7 of the cloned copy and everything seems to be just fine.
Now the reason for the post.
I installed windows 7 first and installed windows xp after.
I am running three hard drives Which are C-ssd), F-ssd, G-Convention HD ...E: is parition of G drive..
All the posts I am seeing are with windows xp first and windows 7 after on duel boot configerations. Here are some links I looked at...
Remove Windows XP from Dual Boot
Remove XP from dual boot
REMOVING XP from Windows XP/7 Dual Boot ... revisited
My windows 7 is on C drive or 0 drive and xp is on E drive which is a 200gb partition of my 1TB drive. So in my case all I have to do is delete the partition that should remove xp but do I have to do anything else to remove all traces of xp...Thanks...
Since you state you use a dual boot with the options of XP or Windows 7, you will want to remove the XP option. The easiest way is with a free utility EasyBCD which can be downloaded from;

http://neosmart.net/blog/2010/welcome-to-easybcd-2/

I can't think of any other issues you will encounter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #3
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Hello Raner777, can you post a screenshot of your full screen disk management window, so that we may have a closer look of the situation ?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Aug 2012   #4
Raner777

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Thanks Sir George...Messed up Clarification but you got it anyway...LOL
Looks like I'm good to go now...did not want to messup windows 7 it's working great...
After I get done with deleting xp...I'll move on to getting the most out of my new SSD drive...Thanks Again...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #5
Raner777

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Hey Arc Thanks for the comeback...let me try Sir George suggestion and if I run into trouble I will post the screen shot...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #6
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Waiting to see the Disk Mgmt screenshot.

Removing an OS is more than just removing it's listing if it even has a Windows Boot Manager - you might choose the OS via the BIOS which is the cleanest method of Dual Booting.

First you must assure Win7 has it's own System Active boot files onboard its partition or it's 100mb System Reserved partition.

Then you can delete the XP partition, wipe or unplug its HD .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #7
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Raner I might have said you the same that sir George suggested, but the screenshot is very important. We are to know that in which partition MBR is stored, otherwise it might create some further trouble there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #8
Raner777

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

ok I will post the screen shot as soon as I get home...I am at work at he moment...Thanks for the help guys...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #9
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Raner777 View Post
ok I will post the screen shot as soon as I get home...I am at work at he moment...Thanks for the help guys...
When I replied to your post this morning, I thought you had visited the following site;

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/210983-dual-boot-delete-os.html

I was just trying to be sure you were aware of the need to remove XP from the dual boot menu.

My aplogies for not being more careful in reviewing your post.

gregrocker provided better details.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2012   #10
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Raner777 View Post
ok I will post the screen shot as soon as I get home...I am at work at he moment...Thanks for the help guys...
When I replied to your post this morning, I thought you had visited the following site;

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/210983-dual-boot-delete-os.html

I was just trying to be sure you were aware of the need to remove XP from the dual boot menu.

My aplogies for not being more careful in reviewing your post.

gregrocker provided better details.
Sir George, you posted the right thing. Dont worry at all. But in these cases it is better to ask for a disk management screenshot, for those reasons those Gerg described.

A very nice and helpful post s yours one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need carification on removing dual boot from windows 7




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
REMOVING XP from Windows XP/7 Dual Boot ... revisited
I know, I know ... this has been asked before, but I just can't seem to get this done. *sigh* Have XP, then installed Win7 as Dual Boot. Now trying to get rid of XP. All is backed up in case of disaster. I've tried 3 different procedures in these forums with no luck. Last thing I tried was...
Installation & Setup
Removing Windows XP from a dual boot with Windows 7
Hi, for many years I had Windows XP installed on the hard drive. About a year ago I created a new partition and installed Windows 7 on it. I now no longer need Windows XP and would like to reformat the partiton to free up space. I've searched around the forums and can find similar threads but I...
Installation & Setup
Removing Vista in a Dual Boot with Windows 7
I have Vista on a separate disk from Windows 7. Windows 7 is on one of my partitions on the disk. I tried to format the disk with vista by going in to My Computer, and right clicking on the disk and formating it like that, but it says that Windows was unable to complete the format. I unchecked...
Installation & Setup
Removing Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7
Hello all, Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here.... I've got a dual boot system at the moment - screenshot attached of my Disk Management screen if that helps. I would like to remove the Vista OS and reclaim the space now that I've transferred everything over to 7 and...
Installation & Setup
Removing Dual Boot Windows 7
I've read a few related posting/etc, but my problems are a slight various. I was using the Free Window 7 Ultimate Beta for a few months. Then bought a new Quad i7 64-Bit Laptop with 64-Bit Windows 7 Pro pre-installed. But wanted a fresh clean install with partitions and without most unwanted...
Installation & Setup
Removing Windows XP SP3 on Dual Boot with Windows 7
I Cleaned installed Windows 7 (64bit) to dual boot with my already existing Windows XP SP3 (32bit). Everything is great and life is fantastic! I'm ready to remove XP now. Any suggestions on the steps to follow, and remove XP, without screwing up my fast, great and fully working Windows 7....
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App