Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 2 Windows 7 Installations on 2 partitions, can't delete old one.

21 Aug 2012   #1
mediaexpo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
2 Windows 7 Installations on 2 partitions, can't delete old one.

Hello, I've been looking around on the internet, and the seven forums, and I can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem.

I just re-installed Windows 7 to drive C: as I was having some problems with it being on W: (Some games just hate it apparently, I'm looking at you Sleeping Dogs)

I've tried to format it but the option wasn't there and EaseUS has it listed as the system partition which I've also tried to fix but to no avail.

I've gotten the boot over to C: and that's about all I've been able to accomplish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also here's the image for Disk Management.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Aug 2012   #2
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaexpo View Post
Hello, I've been looking around on the internet, and the seven forums, and I can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem.

I just re-installed Windows 7 to drive C: as I was having some problems with it being on W: (Some games just hate it apparently, I'm looking at you Sleeping Dogs)

I've tried to format it but the option wasn't there and EaseUS has it listed as the system partition which I've also tried to fix but to no avail.

I've gotten the boot over to C: and that's about all I've been able to accomplish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also here's the image for Disk Management.

W has the bootmenu and the bootmgr!! First do this Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD

Reboot and post disk management screenshot again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #3
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello mediaexpo, welcome to Seven Forums!


It's because the "new" Windows 7 is on an Extended partition / Logical drive and Windows OSs aren't capable of booting from an Extended partition, the boot files, the files needed to boot Windows must reside on a Primary partition.

Be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.


To remedy this first the Extended must be converted to a Primary, have a look at Option One of this first tutorial linked below.
Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD



Then you will need to use this tutorial to add/create the boot files to the C: partition.
Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Aug 2012   #4
mediaexpo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for the replies, I'll get back shortly after trying them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #5
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mediaexpo, welcome to Seven Forums!


It's because the "new" Windows 7 is on an Extended partition / Logical drive and Windows OSs aren't capable of booting from an Extended partition, the boot files, the files needed to boot Windows must reside on a Primary partition.

Be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.


To remedy this first the Extended must be converted to a Primary, have a look at Option One of this first tutorial linked below.
Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD



Then you will need to use this tutorial to add/create the boot files to the C: partition.
Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD


good point! I didn't notice C was a logical partition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #6
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post



good point! I didn't notice C was a logical partition

No biggie mate, where here as a team to help others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #7
mediaexpo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I tried EasyBCD, and as suspected it won't change the boot to a logical drive.

My burner has been dead for a month so I can't burn anything to a CD. Is there anything I can do? Use a Flash Drive or mount it with MagicISO?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #8
gregrocker

 

Why would you put the OS at the opposite end of a huge HD from where the reader parks?

Using free Partition Wizard Bootable CD, I would make your intended OS partition at the left end of the HD by deleting C and W - which should have been deleted during reinstall - then grabbing E with mouse left click to drag it intact the the right.

Then boot the installer to create and format your install partition there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #9
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Just create a bootable USB stick.


Partition Wizard Bootable Flash Drive




My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #10
mediaexpo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Just create a bootable USB stick.


Partition Wizard Bootable Flash Drive




I'm an idiot, I just saw that on the website. Doing it now! Thanks.

& Greg, it's been awhile so the thought completely slipped my mind. I totally forgot about putting it first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 2 Windows 7 Installations on 2 partitions, can't delete old one.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
unable to delete partitions for clean install windows 7
Trying to do a clean install Windows 7, have enough space, Dell Studio 1555 laptop. When I get to the screen "Where do you want to install Windows?" I have: Disk 0 Unallocated Space 298.1GB At the bottom of the screen: Refresh Load Driver Delete (grayed out) Extend (grayed out)
Installation & Setup
How to delete one of two win 7 installations
Because of constant BSODs I wanted to install a second Win 7 64 bit OS on an empty disk, in Windows diskmanagement called Disk 0, with an NTFS file system. Its status is Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary partition). See the attachment. Want to delete the old Win 7 installation, but...
Installation & Setup
Possible to have C for two partitions in different installations?
I have Windows 7 on my laptop and I recently re-sized my partitions and restored the first backup when I received the computer to another partition. I then added the installation to the boot so I can use it. However, every time I boot the restored partition I receive "There was a problem starting...
General Discussion
cant install windows 7 on other partitions or delete them
Hi how do you do my friends ? the problem is : i cant installing windows 7 or 8 on any partition (D,E,F,G) except C partition, so i try to delete them and create a new partition but i cant also ( delete and new icon are disable ) does anyone face this problem before ?
Installation & Setup
Will Windows recovery using system image delete other partitions?
hi, i would like to ask, i have a HP laptop, which has a HP Recovery Partition created (my main system partition is C:, the recovery partition is D: ). because i'm afraid that if my harddisk fail one day, if even the recovery partition is damaged or corrupted, i won't be able to recover my system....
Backup and Restore
Windows 7 installation - which partitions can I delete?
My computer is knackered and I want to wipe it clean and start again. I don't want to keep ANY of what's on there as it had a virus that corrupted my internet explorer and I want to fix it. I have backed everything I do want up onto disk already. So I'm installing windows 7 custom installation...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App