Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Repair Windows 7 boot menu on UEFI

22 Aug 2012   #21
vic4ever

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boyans View Post
Volumes and Partitions are not the same thing.
Can you list partitions and post output ?

diskpart
>sel disk 0
>list par

And unhiding is just changing the id of partition
>sel par # - # is partition number
>set id=07 - NTFS
>set id=17 - NTFS hidden


And for transferring .iso to USB I would use "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool".
Here it is:

Code:
Partition ###    Type                  Size            Offset
Partition 1        System               200MB         1024KB
Partition 2        Reserved             128MB         201MB
Partition 3        System               140GB          329MB
Partition 4        Primary               138GB          141GB
Partition 5        Primary               393GB          279GB
Partition 6        Primary               25GB            673GB
From what I heard, Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool format the USB under NTFS :-?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
The more I think about it, the possibility of the Logical partition causing a problem is a good conclusion.

Your flashdrive showing as NTFS, when you show it being FAT32, plus the Hidden Partition, and other things.

I would use Partition Wizard, the Home version, bootable which free, and remove any partitions placed on the drive. Then use it to change your logical partitions to primary, or just remove them also if you can.

I am currently installing the test bed....
As you can see in the partition list, there is no logical partition . I think maybe there is a problem with the BIOS that it can not identify the correct properties of the partitions ?

Unfortunately, I run out of blank CD. I cannot create a bootable CD of Partition Wizard. I will try diskpart or Gparted instead.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Aug 2012   #22
vic4ever

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
Sorry, I had to edit a response. I suggest removing just the partitions placed on the drive by Ubuntu. And converting the logical ones to primary.

Logical partitions have shown some problems when dealing with UEFI
What do you mean by saying "removing just the partitions placed on the drive by Ubuntu" ? Since I install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7, there is no dedicated partition for Ubuntu. The ubuntu folder is in Partition 4. Do I need to reformat it ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #23
vic4ever

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boyans View Post
Volumes and Partitions are not the same thing.
Can you list partitions and post output ?

diskpart
>sel disk 0
>list par

And unhiding is just changing the id of partition
>sel par # - # is partition number
>set id=07 - NTFS
>set id=17 - NTFS hidden


And for transferring .iso to USB I would use "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool".
I just tried to set id=07 for the OS partition. There is an error, the error mesage is The specified type is not in the correct format.

Using HELP SET, I found out that id=07 is only use for MBR disk. I will try GParted instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2012   #24
Saltgrass

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Just finished the Trial Ubuntu Legacy (MBR) install on a Windows 7 UEFI install drive. Both OSes boot normally when the correct boot device is selected.

During the install, I added a 100 mb boot partition for Ubuntu to use. I will assume if you did not do that, Ubuntu probably would not boot.

But I have attached some pictures to show the setup. I have NO logical partitions. I will try that next to see what happens and post back.


Attached Thumbnails
Repair Windows 7 boot menu on UEFI-ubuntudisk.gif  
Attached Images
Repair Windows 7 boot menu on UEFI-ubuntu_mbr.gif 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #25
vic4ever

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
Just finished the Trial Ubuntu Legacy (MBR) install on a Windows 7 UEFI install drive. Both OSes boot normally when the correct boot device is selected.

During the install, I added a 100 mb boot partition for Ubuntu to use. I will assume if you did not do that, Ubuntu probably would not boot.

But I have attached some pictures to show the setup. I have NO logical partitions. I will try that next to see what happens and post back.
So this may be the problem that I was unable to boot to Ubuntu since I have no MBR for Ubuntu only a Ubuntu option that is not bootable.

Thank you very much. I will add a boot partition for Ubuntu next time

I'm using GParted to hide the OS partition and then unhide to see whether it can be accessed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #26
vic4ever

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I just used GParted to hide the Windows partition. It was hidden as show in diskpart. Then I used Gparted to unhide it (Gparted now showed that the partition was hidden). However, diskpart still identified the Windows partition as hidden.

More bad news, the Windows Boot Manager is now showing error. The error status is 0xc000000f. File \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD. Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I don't know what to do next. It seems if the Windows partition is not unhidden, nothing can be done
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #27
Saltgrass

Windows 7 x64
 
 

As far as I know, you cannot install another OS in the same partition as a previous OS.

So, I would suggest you restore you system back to a factory default and start over. This time, if you want to install Ubuntu, use the UEFI version and make partitions for it during the install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #28
vic4ever

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
As far as I know, you cannot install another OS in the same partition as a previous OS.

So, I would suggest you restore you system back to a factory default and start over. This time, if you want to install Ubuntu, use the UEFI version and make partitions for it during the install.
The problem is I cannot restore the system back to the factory default since the recovery wizard from the OEM requires access to the Windows partition (it assumes that the Windows partition is C, which is incorrect).

Maybe I must do a clean install to start over and ignore the recovery partition. :-s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #29
boyans

Win 8 RP, Win 7, XP
 
 

Yes I was wrong "Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool" cannot be used for EFI USB install as it formats the USB with NTFS.

All you need to make USB bootable is format to FAT32,
copy the contents of DVD to USB using explorer and
copy \bootmgr.efi to \efi\boot\bootx64.efi.

GPT partitions have GUIDs to be identified as SYSTEM, BASIC, MS_RESERVED in the partition table but the first sector of a GPT partition has the filesystem (FAT32, NTFS) type stored so it can be interpreted by the OS.

It is strange that diskpart cannot change filesystem type (at least 07 to 17)
(NTFS to hidden NTFS). EFI GUID type and filesystem type are two different notions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #30
vic4ever

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boyans View Post
Yes I was wrong "Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool" cannot be used for EFI USB install as it formats the USB with NTFS.

All you need to make USB bootable is format to FAT32,
copy the contents of DVD to USB using explorer and
copy \bootmgr.efi to \efi\boot\bootx64.efi.

GPT partitions have GUIDs to be identified as SYSTEM, BASIC, MS_RESERVED in the partition table but the first sector of a GPT partition has the filesystem (FAT32, NTFS) type stored so it can be interpreted by the OS.

It is strange that diskpart cannot change filesystem type (at least 07 to 17)
(NTFS to hidden NTFS). EFI GUID type and filesystem type are two different notions.
Do you have any suggestion that I can make the Windows partition unhidden ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Repair Windows 7 boot menu on UEFI




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
UEFI hard drive boot order and boot menu are completely ignored
I have a bit of a puzzle, and I don't know whether to blame the motherboard maker, Microsoft, or -- this is a really distant third choice, obviously -- myself. (That being said, UEFIs and GPT drives are new to me, so that distant third choice might not be as distant as I'd hoped.) I recently set...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Asus N76 UEFI - W7 64 Install Hangs on Logo (DVD UEFI Boot)
**** This issue has been resolved **** **** Look at Page 4, posts 4 and 5 **** **** You need to enable Legacy MBR by Enabling Launch CSM in the EFI Setup **** Hello all, This is my first post. I am a Windows 7 user and now (against my will) Windows 8. I bought an ASUS N76 laptop...
Installation & Setup
Advanced Boot Menu: Repair Your Computer Doesn't Work
Hello everyone, I would like to address a problem I ran into while trying to restore my Dell XPS M1330 to factory settings. When I boot into advanced boot menu by pressing f8 (I have tried ctrl+f11 and it doesn't work) I press enter on the "Repair Your Computer" option however, when doing so, it...
Performance & Maintenance
how to repair boot menu
hi I installed windows 7 ultimate on second partition decided to remove it formatted partition when laptop starts gives me dual boot options how to remove this option please
Installation & Setup
UEFI boot keeps changing; UEFI/Win7 handshaking confusion
Trying to understand handshaking between UEFI & Win 7. Have Win7 Pro sp1 64 installed on SSD, mb=Asus F2A85-V Pro. Example: boot to flashdrive to do Acronis backup of SSD; remove SDD, insert spinner; boot again to flashdrive to do Acronis restore to spinner (to test backup); remove flashdrive, boot...
Installation & Setup
Boot UEFI from wake on lan, or convert UEFI MBR to legacy.
Hi all, Currently having a wake on lan issue with a certain computer. The machine is setup correctly but the windows boot information is stored in a 100mb UEFI partition, and when the computer wakes on lan, it will not boot windows, just sit at a blank screen. When it wakes on lan it is...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App