Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot problem, Ubuntu is the main boot


02 Sep 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Dual Boot problem, Ubuntu is the main boot

hello

I have Asus laptop with OEM Windows 7 HomeP 64bit on it, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 along side with Windows 7, didn't know that Ubuntu will be the main boot, I used Ubuntu 11.10 a year a go and Windows was my main boot, I tired several way to retrieve Windows 7 as main boot but didn't work.

I tried to fully recover Windows, but when finished I get black screen with "getgrub error"
now recovery doesn't work any more.

I want to get rid of Ubuntu for ever, how? without losing my genuine Windows 7

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Sep 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Service Pack 1
 
 

Hello, Mesh F90 and welcome to Seven Forums.

First you to boot to Ubuntu 12.04 and follow this :

1. Open your Terminal.
2. Type grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg
3. You will got something like :
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
You will got other lines but you need this, this is last one.
4. Remember this quotes for Windows 7 (ex . "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)") (DON'T FORGOT quotes!!!) you will need it later.
5. In Terminal type this : sudo nano -B /etc/default/grub
6. You will got this :
Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="delayacct"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
.... you will have more ....

7. Change GRUB_DEFAULT to value for Windows 7 from menuentry (you remembered it ) (ex. GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)") (DON'T FORGET quotes).
8. Press CTRL+X and type "y" (without quotes) to save it.
9. Important step! Type in your terminal : sudo update-grub
to save your changes

That is all and Windows 7 will be default now.

Trinty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Trinty View Post
Hello, Mesh F90 and welcome to Seven Forums.

First you to boot to Ubuntu 12.04 and follow this :

1. Open your Terminal.
2. Type grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg
3. You will got something like :
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
You will got other lines but you need this, this is last one.
4. Remember this quotes for Windows 7 (ex . "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)") (DON'T FORGOT quotes!!!) you will need it later.
5. In Terminal type this : sudo nano -B /etc/default/grub
6. You will got this :
Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="delayacct"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
.... you will have more ....

7. Change GRUB_DEFAULT to value for Windows 7 from menuentry (you remembered it ) (ex. GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)") (DON'T FORGET quotes).
8. Press CTRL+X and type "y" (without quotes) to save it.
9. Important step! Type in your terminal : sudo update-grub
to save your changes

That is all and Windows 7 will be default now.

Trinty
Thank you Thank you Thank you very very very much

It worked, Windows 7 is my main boot.

I did Windows recovery after it became my main boot and it worked too.

but after it finished, It said now Shutdown as usual after any recovery.

when I start up my laptop i get black screen (one like DOS window) with " getGRUB error " to come over this I need to install Ubuntu again by CD and I will go back to the same issue, i wanna get rid of ubuntu for ever
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Sep 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Service Pack 1
 
 

You're welcome!

You can always use Wubi (Windows Ubuntu Installer) which installs Ubuntu as normal program like 7-zip or Winamp... Then you will have Ubuntu, and your default OS will be Windows 7 (and you can always change it from Windows) and you don't have any problem. That is best way for new users who want to try Linux

Trinty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mesh F90 View Post
i wanna get rid of ubuntu for ever
Hi,

Follow the steps in this tutorial:

Dual Boot - Delete a OS

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2012   #6

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mesh F90 View Post
...
I did Windows recovery after it became my main boot and it worked too.
When you did that, you overwrote the corrections to GRUB made previously.

You need to decide whether or not you want to keep Ubuntu on the PC -- that will determine HOW you fix this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mesh F90 View Post
...
I did Windows recovery after it became my main boot and it worked too.
When you did that, you overwrote the corrections to GRUB made previously.

You need to decide whether or not you want to keep Ubuntu on the PC -- that will determine HOW you fix this.

I dont want to keep Ubuntu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2012   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mesh F90 View Post

I dont want to keep Ubuntu
Click here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Just delete the ubuntu partitions and perform a "startup repair".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2012   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

Mark Partition Active the Windows 7 or it's 100mb System Reserved partition (preferred if you have it).

Then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual Boot problem, Ubuntu is the main boot




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Dual Boot problem, Ubuntu is the main boot
Thread Forum
Cannot Boot Windows 7 after Uninstalling Ubuntu Dual-Boot Installation & Setup
I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window BSOD Help and Support
Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 wireless problem Network & Sharing
Dual-boot: Windows 7 & Ubuntu - problem Installation & Setup
Solved Dual boot problem while installing ubuntu 10.10 with windows 7 on hp Installation & Setup
Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot Installation & Setup
Old Ubuntu dual boot problem Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33