Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: It takes a lot time during "Boot from CD/DVD" and fails aftwerwards.


13 Sep 2012   #1

Windows Vista Starter x84
 
 
It takes a lot time during "Boot from CD/DVD" and fails aftwerwards.

Hello there, I just bought a new Windows 7 DVD; I insert the disc and waited until "Press any key to boot from CD". It took really long time and then it gave an error "Memory overflow error".

Please help about this; my windows vista disc is working normally but windows 7 gives error.

Thank you. :/


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Sep 2012   #2

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

As you have the vista starter, but didn't fill in the My System Specs we can only guess about your hardware. But the first thing that comes to mind is that the hardware may not meet the Win 7 version requirements.

Did you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to see if your hardware can support the version of Win 7 you want to install? Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2012   #3

Windows Vista Starter x84
 
 

I got new RAM and new Graphics card; so it's definetely not the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Sep 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Follow firebirds advice about running the 7 upgrade advisor. This will tell you if your old hardware as well as software is compatible or not...the hardware on your mobo, not just the add on hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

I didn't think they released a 64 bit Vista starter, but we dodged the bullet on Vista, so I can't say for sure.

There's no 64 bit Windows 7 starter though, so I suspect it's 32 bit.

Having said that;

You may well have a bad DVD, if you're getting errors trying to boot to it. Will it boot in another computer ?? Preferably one known to be compatible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Sep 2012   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

Test your RAM - Test with Memtest86+ for 5-6 passes to stress test it.

Can you boot another CD or DVD successfully in that drive? If not swap it out for another, or write the Windows 7 ISO for your licensed version to a bootable flash stick using Step 1 and 2 from Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

Boot stick under USB, Removable or HD's. If it fails, unplug the DVD drive.

Report back results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2012   #7

Windows Vista Starter x84
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Follow firebirds advice about running the 7 upgrade advisor. This will tell you if your old hardware as well as software is compatible or not...the hardware on your mobo, not just the add on hardware.
My computer is not working; it was windows 7 before windows vista but my ram broke/burned so I booted my Windovs vista starter disc. But I am really sure that my computer is compatible.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pricetech View Post
I didn't think they released a 64 bit Vista starter, but we dodged the bullet on Vista, so I can't say for sure.

There's no 64 bit Windows 7 starter though, so I suspect it's 32 bit.

Having said that;

You may well have a bad DVD, if you're getting errors trying to boot to it. Will it boot in another computer ?? Preferably one known to be compatible.
It is working on my notebook; my notebook is Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. And I tryed on here and it booted normally.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Test your RAM - Test with Memtest86+ for 5-6 passes to stress test it.

Can you boot another CD or DVD successfully in that drive? If not swap it out for another, or write the Windows 7 ISO for your licensed version to a bootable flash stick using Step 1 and 2 from Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

Boot stick under USB, Removable or HD's. If it fails, unplug the DVD drive.

Report back results.
I can boot my old Windows vista disc that comes with when I bought the computer; it is only one working I guess because I even tryed XP disc. :/
I even can't boot from USB disk; it gives another error; I dont remember the error now.


Thank you for your replies; hope you can understand me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2012   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

Where did you get Ultimate that you say is running on the PC now. This PC originally had Vista Starter?

Reset BIOS to Defaults: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

In BIOS setup set SATA controller to AHCI, set DVD drive to boot first, then HDD.

Now put Windows 7 DVD into drive, reboot. Is there a prompt to "Press any key to boot disk?"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2012   #9

Windows Vista Starter x84
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Where did you get Ultimate that you say is running on the PC now. This PC originally had Vista Starter?

Reset BIOS to Defaults: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

In BIOS setup set SATA controller to AHCI, set DVD drive to boot first, then HDD.

Now put Windows 7 DVD into drive, reboot. Is there a prompt to "Press any key to boot disk?"
I have 2 computers; 1 desktop and 1 notebook. I will try to reset BIOS. Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2012   #10

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

What computer are you trying to fix? the laptop? the desktop?

You must give us answers to our questions so that we can answer your questions.

Now: Where did you get your Windows 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 It takes a lot time during "Boot from CD/DVD" and fails aftwerwards.




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33