Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Able to install 32bit but not 64bit


29 Sep 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
Able to install 32bit but not 64bit

So I messed up my laptop, it was Win 7 home 64bit. I formatted it and do a clean install, but I can only install 32bit. When I try to install 64bit, I get "hardware problem and installation could not be complete" what's that?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Sep 2012   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

Make sure it is 64-bit capable. If possible run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor . I would personally not run 64 bit on 3gb RAM but would want at least 4gb, so if it's 64-bit capable google a RAM upgrade for the model.

Boot into BIOS setup to see if there is an EFI Boot disk in the BIOS boot order Priority list. If so then either remove it and enable Legacy BIOS to install 64 bit normally, or follow these steps for UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Forums.

If not then post back the verbatim error message and at exactly which step it occurs during Clean Install Windows 7

Follow these steps to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #3
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

This GRC*|*SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features*|** will let you know if you're able to use 64 bit OSes.

How did you "mess up" your laptop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Sep 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Make sure it is 64-bit capable. If possible run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor . I would personally not run 64 bit on 3gb RAM but would want at least 4gb, so if it's 64-bit capable google a RAM upgrade for the model.

Boot into BIOS setup to see if there is an EFI Boot disk in the BIOS boot order Priority list. If so then either remove it and enable Legacy BIOS to install 64 bit normally, or follow these steps for UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Forums.

If not then post back the verbatim error message and exactly when it occurs during Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

Follow these steps to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.
I have 8GB of ram
So if I get the recovery disks from Lenovo, can this all be solved by it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
This GRC*|*SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features*|** will let you know if you're able to use 64 bit OSes.

How did you "mess up" your laptop?
So at the beginning, I dual booted Ubuntu and Windows 7. One day, my fingerprint reader stopped working. It seems it kept disconnecting and connecting again. I formatted the Ubuntu partition (which is stupid). Then Grub is missing. I did burn a Lenovo recovery media on my USB and went to a fixmbr. Thought it worked, but theres an error upon start up. My friends help me to do a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. It shows hardware error and couldn't be installed. For some reason, I wiped my harddrive and my Lenovo recovery partition are also wiped. (I ordered a Recovery disk from Lenovo - free) So now, I'm using a 32bit windows.
I used the software and it shows I can use 64bit and both are yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

So what about the EFI boot disk in BIOS Boot order priority? If you have EFI BIOS then you must take the extra steps I gave you to install 64 bit.

And what is the exact error message I requested?

We have a 100% install rate for those who are thorough and fully interactive with the steps we give you, which will not end until you get it installed.

Yes, your 64-bit Recovery disks should work however they will reinstall all of the factory bloatware which throttles Windows 7.

Try wiping the HD again as this may help: Diskpart Clean Command
DISKPART At PC Startup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
So what about the EFI boot disk in BIOS Boot order priority? If you have EFI BIOS then you must take the extra steps I gave you to install 64 bit.

And what is the exact error message I requested?

We have a 100% install rate for those who are thorough and fully interactive with the steps we give you, which will not end until you get it installed.

Yes, your 64-bit Recovery disks should work however they will reinstall all of the factory bloatware which throttles Windows 7.

Try wiping the HD again as this may help: Diskpart Clean Command
DISKPART At PC Startup
I might try this next during thanksgiving break since I need to play :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #8

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

If you have 8 gigs of ram (post #3) could you update your ((My System Specs)) to indicate that. It helps us help you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
If you have 8 gigs of ram (post #3) could you update your ((My System Specs)) to indicate that. It helps us help you.
Updated
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #10

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by intel 4004 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
If you have 8 gigs of ram (post #3) could you update your ((My System Specs)) to indicate that. It helps us help you.
Updated
Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Able to install 32bit but not 64bit




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Able to install 32bit but not 64bit
Thread Forum
How do I install Windows 7 64bit instead of 32bit Installation & Setup
Solved Anyway to have 32bit and 64bit on the same usb for install? Installation & Setup
Solved Cannot install IE9 32bit on 64bit W7 OS! Really need help after virus! Browsers & Mail
W7 64bit:Ok to install 32bit programs outside the 32bit programfolder? Software
32bit to 64bit (Fresh Install) Installation & Setup
install probs. 32bit -> 64bit Installation & Setup
32bit vs 64bit install. Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33