Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 not recognizing Hard disk (Promise 378)

21 Sep 2009   #1
Accipiter

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Windows 7 not recognizing Hard disk (Promise 378)

OK, I'm currently using Windows XP Pro 32 bit. I have an Asus A8v-Deluxe mobo. My hard drive is a samsung, SATA. I have it set in my bios to IDE.

I go to install Windows 7 Professional, x64. When it gets to the screen where my hard-drives / partitions should be located so I can select one to install on, on, nothing shows up. I had a disk of Promise SATA378 drivers for XP, but I tried that with windows 7 and that did not work. I also tried going into my bios and changing the hard-drive setting from IDE to RAID, but that made no difference.

I guess I need Promise drivers for Windows 7, (or vista apparently), but can not find either. Can someone here help?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
OK, I'm currently using Windows XP Pro 32 bit. I have an Asus A8v-Deluxe mobo. My hard drive is a samsung, SATA. I have it set in my bios to IDE.

I go to install Windows 7 Professional, x64. When it gets to the screen where my hard-drives / partitions should be located so I can select one to install on, on, nothing shows up. I had a disk of Promise SATA378 drivers for XP, but I tried that with windows 7 and that did not work. I also tried going into my bios and changing the hard-drive setting from IDE to RAID, but that made no difference.

I guess I need Promise drivers for Windows 7, (or vista apparently), but can not find either. Can someone here help?
not sure if you have a raid or not but drivers can be found here. If they are not available for win 7 then use vista in compatability mode. As a last resort use the xp driver in compatability mode

D850GB FAQ

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #3
Accipiter

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Sorry, I'm confused.

That link posted gave me drivers that cover up to Windows 2003, there's nothing for Windows 7 or Vista listed. Also, what do you mean by use vista in compatability mode? I don't have vista, and it doesn't look like there are vista drivers on that link you posted.



also, I don't actually have a Raid, I just have one hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
Sorry, I'm confused.

That link posted gave me drivers that cover up to Windows 2003, there's nothing for Windows 7 or Vista listed. Also, what do you mean by use vista in compatability mode? I don't have vista, and it doesn't look like there are vista drivers on that link you posted.



also, I don't actually have a Raid, I just have one hard drive.

No they are up to windows XP. if you cant find anything newer you may have to try them in compatibility mode.

Instructions for installing in cmpatibility mode can be found here Compatibility Mode

Let me know if you need help with insstalling them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #5
Accipiter

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
Sorry, I'm confused.

That link posted gave me drivers that cover up to Windows 2003, there's nothing for Windows 7 or Vista listed. Also, what do you mean by use vista in compatability mode? I don't have vista, and it doesn't look like there are vista drivers on that link you posted.



also, I don't actually have a Raid, I just have one hard drive.

No they are up to windows XP. if you cant find anything newer you may have to try them in compatibility mode.

Instructions for installing in cmpatibility mode can be found here Compatibility Mode

Let me know if you need help with insstalling them.

ooooh I see....Yeah I can't find anything newer. I'm going to have to try running this in compatibility mode....So I run the makedisk.exe program in compatability mode? Or the drivers? I have NO idea what I'm doing now.. lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #6
Accipiter

Windows 7 x64
 
 

The makedisk.exe doesn't even have an entry for vista or Windows 7 under compatibility mode.


Looks like I have to buy a new processor, video card, and motherboard if I want to run windows 7. What a crock... lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Timeout

you downloaded the driver, did you read the tutorial about compatibility mode?

Right click makedisk.exe go to compatibility and check the box that says xp sp2.

See picture

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #8
Accipiter

Windows 7 x64
 
 

hang on...I just realized I don't have SP3. I just reformatted a few weeks ago and must have never installed it. Let's see if that changes what I see on that compatibility box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #9
calvin0512

windows 7
 
 

hi guy, my pal ran across this problme. and I suggested he copy the raid driver in you flash disk or hard disk before installing win7 pro. After loading raid driver, the disk volume list will come back. hopefully my reply makes sense for you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #10
Accipiter

Windows 7 x64
 
 

UUUUGH I can't even do the compatibility mode thing. Vista doesn't show up, nor does XP...here's how my dropdown list looks, this is in XP sp3:


Attached Thumbnails
-ugh.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 not recognizing Hard disk (Promise 378)




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 not recognizing size of new hard drive?
The good news: I was able to successfully replace my ailing 750gb hard drive with a 1TB hard drive. The better news: I was even able to restore from a windows image backup! One problem -- when I right-click "properties" to check the available space on my drive, it still shows used and free...
Hardware & Devices
Windows Installer not recognizing hard drive
Hello, again :( I have an HP Envy Ultra book which I purchased a few weeks ago from best buy. Last night in a very sleepy state, I attempted to install Linux Mint. I have done this before on my desktop and never had any problems. When I boot up the laptop, I get a gnu grub screen. I tried...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 not recognizing external hard drive
I have windows 7 64 bit and I'm trying to copy data from my old desktop which won't boot up anymore to my laptop. It is a 3.5 inch sata hard drive which I connected to a usb external hard drive dock. But when I plug it in windows just doesn't recognize it and it doesn't appear in windows explorer....
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 not recognizing second hard drive
http://icons.sevenforumscdn.com/images/styles/window7/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://images.designermediacdn.com/images/styles/window7/buttons/report.gif Internal hard drive keeps disappearing Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit For some reason my secondary...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Not Recognizing External Hard Drive
I just got a Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB internal hard drive. Model Number: ST315005N1A1AS-RK. And I put it into a Rosewill external enclosure. I live at college so my father formatted it for me before sending it to me at college using Windows XP x86. My father moved some files onto it before...
Hardware & Devices
Cant see hard drive connected through Promise SATA378
Hello, Just installed Windows 7 and my spare hard drive connected through onboard promise controller wont show up. It is there in bios and works if I boot into windows XP. I have ASUS A8V Deluxe Motherboard. (Socket 939) Not really sure what to try with Windows 7; any suggestions?
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App