Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Digital Download Install question

24 Sep 2009   #1
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 
Digital Download Install question

I purchased a copy of W7 through digital river so I could get the student discount. They offer a digital download than consists of a zipped file that I must unpack or run to install. I have never done an install like this before. For $13 I can purchase a back-up media disk which I did but would still like to know how this process works.

I want to do a clean install of W7 Professional but can't seem to wrap my head around how that is accomplished through using this method. I always delete my partitions then install to get the cleanest possible result. If I wipe the harddrive then essentially I am deleting the files that are doing the installation.

The website suggest purchasing a backup disk but I would love to perform a clean install the day I download the software. I guess worst case scenario I can do a clean install of vista and then upgrade before I put anything else on the computer.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Sep 2009   #2
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen View Post
I purchased a copy of W7 through digital river so I could get the student discount. They offer a digital download than consists of a zipped file that I must unpack or run to install. I have never done an install like this before. For $13 I can purchase a back-up media disk which I did but would still like to know how this process works.

I want to do a clean install of W7 Professional but can't seem to wrap my head around how that is accomplished through using this method. I always delete my partitions then install to get the cleanest possible result. If I wipe the harddrive then essentially I am deleting the files that are doing the installation.

The website suggest purchasing a backup disk but I would love to perform a clean install the day I download the software. I guess worst case scenario I can do a clean install of vista and then upgrade before I put anything else on the computer.
What format is the file? Zip? ISO? other?

How big is it?

When you unzip it, do you get folders and files or one ISO file?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2009   #3
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

I dont know how it is formatted. Here is what is listed on the website:

Download Information

When will I be able to download my pre-ordered product?Click here for information regarding pre-orders. Still more questions? Back to Main Help Page

How do I download?
  1. Click the “Download” button.
  2. Save the file to your “Desktop”. Do not change the file name.
  3. After the download has completed, double-click on the file icon to start the installation.
  4. When prompted, use the product key listed on your confirmation page and email to activate your software.
Sounds like a zip file. If it was an ISO I dont think you can run from windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Sep 2009   #4
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Sounds like it is the windows installation files.

If it was an .iso you would d/l that directly.

Easy to make a bootable .iso from the windows installation files, if you like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2009   #5
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen View Post
I dont know how it is formatted. Here is what is listed on the website:

Download Information

When will I be able to download my pre-ordered product?Click here for information regarding pre-orders. Still more questions? Back to Main Help Page

How do I download?
  1. Click the “Download” button.
  2. Save the file to your “Desktop”. Do not change the file name.
  3. After the download has completed, double-click on the file icon to start the installation.
  4. When prompted, use the product key listed on your confirmation page and email to activate your software.
Sounds like a zip file. If it was an ISO I dont think you can run from windows.
Can you give me the link to the website?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2009   #6
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Well, I guess someone else will have to jump in and help you.

I have only 5 hrs left to sleep.

Good night and good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2009   #7
Barman58

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 x3 + Windows 10 Preview, Ubuntu
 
 

The squonk is an extremely shy and very tired creature

Good Night
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2009   #8
pixelhandler

XP
 
 
Link to Windows 7 installation help pages

I believe the downloads begin on the same day as the release of Windows 7. I found a few links to the Windows 7 installation help pages here :

Installing Windows: recommended links

Installing and reinstalling Windows

Windows 7 Solution Center

I plan to do a clean install as well. My guess is that the download may be a .iso file. The help page says that the download is between 2 - 3 GB so the backup dvd is a good idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2009   #9
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pixelhandler View Post
I believe the downloads begin on the same day as the release of Windows 7. I found a few links to the Windows 7 installation help pages here :

Installing Windows: recommended links

Installing and reinstalling Windows

Windows 7 Solution Center

I plan to do a clean install as well. My guess is that the download may be a .iso file. The help page says that the download is between 2 - 3 GB so the backup dvd is a good idea.
Hi pixelhandler and welcome.

Thank you for providing this information.

The OP hasn't shown him self for two days, and never answered my question regarding this download link, so I guess he won't be back to read this.

But nice you jumped in to provide it.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #10
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pixelhandler View Post
I believe the downloads begin on the same day as the release of Windows 7. I found a few links to the Windows 7 installation help pages here :

Installing Windows: recommended links

Installing and reinstalling Windows

Windows 7 Solution Center

I plan to do a clean install as well. My guess is that the download may be a .iso file. The help page says that the download is between 2 - 3 GB so the backup dvd is a good idea.
Hi pixelhandler and welcome.

Thank you for providing this information.

The OP hasn't shown him self for two days, and never answered my question regarding this download link, so I guess he won't be back to read this.

But nice you jumped in to provide it.

Greetz
The download link isn't available yet and will not be available until oct 22nd.

I should have updated this post as I have found a better method for students anyways. You can purchase the full retail version from Microsoft store directly for the same price.

Here is the other thread I started:

Full Retail Version of Pro For Students only 29.99

thanks for the help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Digital Download Install question




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to download digital photos
This is my second day on Windows 7 and I can't find a Camera Wizard (XP had one). Would someone direct me in downloading digital photos? The driver for my camera did download. I have had luck downloading a short video. Thank you. Freddi
Music, Pictures & Video
I Can't Install Starcraft Anthology (Digital Download)
Hi Everyone, I can't get Starcraft Anthology to run on my computer. The computer was built for me by a friend and I can't remember all the technical info. If you need any more details please just ask I'll ask my friend who put it together for me. It runs Windows 7 64 Ultimate with an Intel...
Gaming
Digital Download??
I see lots of auctions on ebay for the Windows 7 key and a link to download Win 7. Are these legit? I guess it's the same process as the RC where you download an ISO and burn it to a DVD? Win 7 Home Premium for under $30 sounds like a great deal. Thanks!
General Discussion
Question about Digital River Win 7 download
I have heard lots about there being problems when people have downloaded Win 7 from Digital River as part of the student offer. Most of what I have heard is from people trying to got from 32 bit Vista/XP to 64 bit Win 7. Are there any similar problems reported with the 32 bit win 7 download?
Installation & Setup
Basic Download and Install question
Hi. I ordered the win 7 professional upgrade from Digital river and i will be doing a custom install from XP. I've downloaded the file to my system. My basic question is ? 1. Should i copy the setup files to a External Hard Drive and run Setup.exe from there (or) 2. Should i write these...
Installation & Setup
Help me with my Win 7 64 download from Digital River
Ok, so I was finally able to get the main Expanded Setup file extracted. But now I still have the 3 original files on my desktop... what do I do with them? Also my expandedsetup file is this large: Size: 3.01 GB (3,239,836,668 bytes) Size on disk: 3.01 GB (3,241,648,128 bytes)
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App