Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: OEM clean install

06 Nov 2012   #1

Windows home premium x64
 
 
OEM clean install

Hello, i have a few questions regarding the clean install:

I was wondering the following:

My brother bought a computer with windows 7 home premium x64 (norwegian version) installed on it, but it did not come with an install CD\DVD. Will i able to run a clean install with the ENGLISH home premium x64 ISO version and then use the old product key which originally was for a norwegian version on this new english version? (for some reason there is no norwegian ISO version available it seems).

Also, the windows update function on the computer stopped working properly some time ago and therefore the computer does not have Service pack 1 installed. Will my original OEM product key for windows7 be valid for a english version install which also install service pack 1?

The computer came with a recovery partition, however my brother didnt make a recovery cd which it seems one has to in order to perform a recovery. The computer does not seem to find any image to recover from the boot menu. Also system restore is not an option because the OS is unable to identify any earlier points to actual restore.

thank you for your time.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x86 Service Pack 1 - Linux Mint Mate 14 x64
 
 

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

The .ISO file contains Service Pack 1, however, the .ISO which you install must match the edition stated on your COA sticker (sticker which contains a product key of letters and numbers). The languages are available via Windows Update.

Windows 7 Official .iso Files (Digital River)

A clean reinstall is much better than recovering from the recovery partition or factory recovery disc, as your system comes pre-installed with OEM bloatware which can reduce your performance and corrupt your system.

Furthermore, if you plan to do a complete reinstall, then I would download the latest Ethernet and Network drivers for your model and then save them to another device externally, so you are able to access the Interent straight after the clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #3
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

1. You can reinstall directly from the recovery partition. What is the make of the PC - every make has a different procedure.

2. You can also burn a recovery/installation disc from the recovery partition.

3. Yes you can also reinstall with any other Home Premium installation disc. The product key you must use is on the COA sticker that is somewhere on the box. The OEM key is useless in that case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Nov 2012   #4

Windows home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x BlueRobot View Post
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

The .ISO file contains Service Pack 1, however, the .ISO which you install must match the edition stated on your COA sticker (sticker which contains a product key of letters and numbers). The languages are available via Windows Update.

Windows 7 Official .iso Files (Digital River)

Furthermore, if you plan to do a complete reinstall, then I would download the latest Ethernet and Network drivers for your model and then save them to another device externally, so you are able to access the Interent straight after the clean install.
By edition on the coa sticker you simply mean Home premium right? Not the x17-+++?

Regarding the languages, i tried to do a install repair, but it wouldnt work because the system language of the iso i was using was english, and the original which i had installed was norwegian..hopefully that wont be a problem when installing.

Regarding accessing Internet after clean install, is it enough to take a backup of the "drivers" folder in system32 and then just copy it into the system32 folder after i reinstall windows?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

No- if you have special drivers that are not already in Windows 7 installation media - you have to reinstall them.

COA sticker must be on the machine somewhere - perhaps under the battery. It is 5 sets of 5 characters. It will be for the Edition that was factory installed.

So if you had Home Premium from the factory - then you must reinstall Home premium for the product key to work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #6

Windows home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
1. You can reinstall directly from the recovery partition. What is the make of the PC - every make has a different procedure.

2. You can also burn a recovery/installation disc from the recovery partition.

3. Yes you can also reinstall with any other Home Premium installation disc. The product key you must use is on the COA sticker that is somewhere on the box. The OEM key is useless in that case.
1. I litteraly dont know what the make of the pc is...is there an easy way to find out? It doesnt say in the msinfo32 file.

3. Oh, i thought that was the OEM key. I'm clueless about this stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #7

Windows home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
No- if you have special drivers that are not already in Windows 7 installation media - you have to reinstall them.

COA sticker must be on the machine somewhere - perhaps under the battery. It is 5 sets of 5 characters. It will be for the Edition that was factory installed.

So if you had Home Premium from the factory - then you must reinstall Home premium for the product key to work
Yeah, the key sits right below the home premium and some other numbers (on the coa), i just wondered if there were any other criteria that had to match besides both the iso and coa being home premium (and x64).

thx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #8
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
i just wondered if there were any other criteria that had to match besides both the iso and coa being home premium (and x64).
That's all you need to match.

And how come you don't know the maker of your PC. There must be a name somewhere on the box - unless it is a home built PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2012   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

There will be another sticker on the PC with the name and model number to use when importing any drivers or other software needed after all Important and Optional Windows Updates are finished.

If not follow the other step in the tutorial for getting a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
to run an audit of your soft and hardware to have all of this information in printable form.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 OEM clean install





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33