Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Should I buy full or upgrade version?

28 Sep 2009   #1
Waka

Windows 2008
 
 
Should I buy full or upgrade version?

Hi,

My apologies if these question have been asked. My search skill is as poor as my bank account.

Scenario:
Suppose I have a Windows XP pro x86 on my box, and I'm buying Windows 7 retail to upgrade my system. My search tells me that I can buy the Upgrade version to upgrade. I know it's not a direct upgrade.

My XP was upgraded from Windows 2000, which was upgraded from Windows NT 4.

Questions:
What if the unthinkable happens and I need to reformat my hard drive?

Q1: Will I be able to reinstall Windows 7 using the upgrade disc? Or do I have to reinstall XP, then perform the "upgrade" again?

Q2: Will I be better off buying the full version? Can the full version be used to perform this "upgrade"?

Any comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Sep 2009   #2
QuackPot

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Get the full version if I were you.

With the full version, if anything goes wrong, just format you HDD and reinstall windows. Much easier than the first question you raised.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2009   #3
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Q1: My understanding today is that you would have to do the double install. From what I have read, the other OS has to be installed and "activated" to upgrade from. A lot of people believe that just having the physical media will work and they can pop it in the machine to prove ownership...but I think that is an incorrect assumption.

Q2: The retail full version is not intended to be used to "upgrade" an existing OS. I'm not sure if this means that the functionality is disabled or not though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Sep 2009   #4
ddeen

Windows 7 RC 7100
 
 

Right now I would not encourage anybody to buy the Upgrade version, since Microsoft can't make up its mind 24 days before its new OS ships what qualifies for an upgrade. Get the OEM version if you won't need tech support, or the Full version if you think you might need tech support for a few months.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2009   #5
mn9500

 
 

from the faqs on the site to get the student discount, you can use the upgrade version to install on a clean harddrive, so it seems like the full version is pointless. maybe im missing something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2009   #6
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Waka View Post
Hi,
Scenario:
Suppose I have a Windows XP pro x86 on my box, and I'm buying Windows 7 retail to upgrade my system. My search tells me that I can buy the Upgrade version to upgrade. I know it's not a direct upgrade.

My XP was upgraded from Windows 2000, which was upgraded from Windows NT 4.

Questions:
What if the unthinkable happens and I need to reformat my hard drive?

Q1: Will I be able to reinstall Windows 7 using the upgrade disc? Or do I have to reinstall XP, then perform the "upgrade" again?

Q2: Will I be better off buying the full version? Can the full version be used to perform this "upgrade"?

Any comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

thanks!
It's still all so confusing.
We won't know for sure until after the release on Oct 22.

From reading at the MS site it looks like you will have to re-install your previous OS and activate it before you can use the Win7 upgrade dvd. MS is saying the win7 upgrade must be installed on an activate windows OS.
We all hope this isn't true.

If you are saying you want to install Windows 7 as an upgrade install onto XP, the answer is Clean install only.

From How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7

Quote:
Do a Clean Installation if:
• Your computer has no operating system installed, or it’s running a version of Windows prior to Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (including Windows XP).
From How to Do a Upgrade Installation from Vista to Windows 7

Quote:
A upgrade installation allows you to keep intact the files, settings, and programs from your current version ofVista SP1 or SP2. This will show you how to do a upgrade installation with a Upgrade version of Windows 7 from Vista. XP users will now be able to upgrade to Windows 7, but will have to do a clean install of Windows 7instead.
If you do use the Win7 upgrade dvd or download, I would make a backup image once you get it activated. Keep a couple copies in a safe place and you can restore the image rather than going through the double install procedure, that 'might' be required.

Hope this helps,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #7
Waka

Windows 2008
 
 
Thanks

Thank you all for the suggestions. So to summarize:

  • No one is sure if the Upgrade version can be used to installed on a clean HDD.
  • Also, Full version may not be able to used to upgrade the system. But a dual boot install is possible.
Correct?

Regarding whether activation is required. Technet's video seems to suggest that it may be possible to upgrade unactivated XP to Windows 7 RC. Linky here. Have you noticed the activation key icon in the sys tray on the test XP system?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #8
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Waka View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. So to summarize:

  • No one is sure if the Upgrade version can be used to installed on a clean HDD.
  • Also, Full version may not be able to used to upgrade the system. But a dual boot install is possible.
Correct?

Regarding whether activation is required. Technet's video seems to suggest that it may be possible to upgrade unactivated XP to Windows 7 RC. Linky here. Have you noticed the activation key icon in the sys tray on the test XP system?
Quote:
No one is sure if the Upgrade version can be used to installed on a clean HDD.
That's correct, no one but MS knows.

Quote:
Also, Full version may not be able to used to upgrade the system. But a dual boot install is possible.
A full version of Win7 can not be used to install via upgrade-in-place on XP. You can install it as a dual boot.

Quote:
Regarding whether activation is required
An interesting find. Don't assume that because MS can do it that everyone else can. Would be nice if everyone could but, wouldn't count on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #9
TemperingPick

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Always go for full. It may be cheaper but the first time something goes wrong and you have to reinstall you will have to spend the extra money and go buy Windows again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2009   #10
DreadStarX

Windows 8 64bit Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Waka View Post
Hi,

My apologies if these question have been asked. My search skill is as poor as my bank account.

Scenario:
Suppose I have a Windows XP pro x86 on my box, and I'm buying Windows 7 retail to upgrade my system. My search tells me that I can buy the Upgrade version to upgrade. I know it's not a direct upgrade.

My XP was upgraded from Windows 2000, which was upgraded from Windows NT 4.

Questions:
What if the unthinkable happens and I need to reformat my hard drive?

Q1: Will I be able to reinstall Windows 7 using the upgrade disc? Or do I have to reinstall XP, then perform the "upgrade" again?

Q2: Will I be better off buying the full version? Can the full version be used to perform this "upgrade"?

Any comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

thanks!
To be honest, I used to do this. When I had my Windows XP Home Upgrade disc, I had to install Windows 98 (I hated this).

Buy the retail, but IF I were you, I'd buy it online. I've found that most stores such as Office Depot, Staples, and other places will charge an extra 25$ - 100$ for the Disc. I would search on NewEgg for it.

Also, if you're a student, don't buy the discs yet. I'm running the Official Release discs because I'm a College Student and get access to thousands of dollars of software for free. (Yes, its the version that comes out on the 22nd of next month, yes I'm a lucky sob, lol)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Should I buy full or upgrade version?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Anytime Upgrade from OEM version to full version??
I have Win 7 64 bit Home, OEM. If I do any anytime upgrade to Win 7 64 bit Pro, does that change the OEM to a full version? Reason I ask, I may want to change motherboards, to a different brand, and with an OEM I wouldn't be able to reactivate it.
Windows Updates & Activation
Full Version vs Upgrade
I have read here over the past few months that just about every upgrade disc of Windows allows a clean version install from within an already running copy of Windows. Has anyone tried this yet with Windows 7? I've got the RTM version of Windows 7 installed currently obviously and would like to...
General Discussion
Upgrade Vs Full version
can someone please clarify a few things for me. 1. the upgrade disks and the full disks are exactly the same EXCEPT the upgrade one requires proof that you own a copy of vista or xp. 2. what kind of proof does it require? does it just ask you for an XP/vista serial during the install? ...
Installation & Setup
Upgrade or Full Version
The cost of the full version of Ultimate makes me want to throw up but I may not have a choice. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate RC. I do have Windows Vista Home Premium but haven't installed it since the first Win 7 beta came out. I do a lot of experimenting and frequently have to reinstall the OS. It's...
Installation & Setup
In-place upgrade using full version?
I'm new to the forum, so I apologise if this has been asked before. Can W7 Home Premium full version be used to do an in-place upgrade? I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium that gives me a free upgrade to W7 (but it will still cost 20 euros for p&p). Vista is pre-loaded and the recovery...
Installation & Setup
Full or upgrade version?
I am Currently running Windows XP Pro. I know I qualify to buy the Windows7 upgrade editions. I plan to install it on a new hard drive but the old hard drive will be there for upgrade verification. What happens if I later decide to wipe out my Windows 7 installation and do a fresh install? Or...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:45.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App