Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help with personal file recovery before clean install.

10 Dec 2012   #1
sykoCrazy

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
Help with personal file recovery before clean install.

Hi guys,

This is my first thread on Seven Forums so bear with me here.
Earlier this morning i booted my PC and was presented with a BSOD when trying to run 3ds Max. Now i get the BSOD right after the "Starting Windows" splash appears. I've tried every solution i was able to find on the forums with no luck. So i've decided to reinstall Windows 7.
I'm getting close to a project deadline and i would lose significant progress if i did a clean install because i didn't manage to backup my last 5 days of work. So my question to you is this: Since it's possible that the BSOD was caused by a virus, can i do a normal install of windows, backup my files and then do a clean install? Is it safe?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question and thanks for taking your time to read/reply.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Dec 2012   #2
richnrockville

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Sykocrazy, welcome to the windows 7 forum.

I suggest you get another hard disk and install y our windows on it, then after it is all installed you can put the old hard disk in and copy the data from it to your new one. After you have scanned it for virus's and trojans.

Other than that, they make a small usb device that will hook up your hard disk via usb to your other machine and allow you to retrieve data from it.

Good Luck.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #3
sykoCrazy

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post

Other than that, they make a small usb device that will hook up your hard disk via usb to your other machine and allow you to retrieve data from it.

Rich
Hi richnrockville,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Seagate GoFlex external hard drive that has a SATA to USB adapter, can i use that on my OS hard disk to transfer the files over to my laptop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Dec 2012   #4
richnrockville

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sykoCrazy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post

Other than that, they make a small usb device that will hook up your hard disk via usb to your other machine and allow you to retrieve data from it.

Rich
Hi richnrockville,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Seagate GoFlex external hard drive that has a SATA to USB adapter, can i use that on my OS hard disk to transfer the files over to my laptop?
Most likely not a great idea. I would spring for one of those around $15 gadgets that plugs into the usb port and the other end to your hard disk (after you remove it from your computer. Then the hard disk will show up on your machine as another drive. Copy all the files you wish to save and then y ou should be in business.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2012   #5
sykoCrazy

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sykoCrazy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post

Other than that, they make a small usb device that will hook up your hard disk via usb to your other machine and allow you to retrieve data from it.

Rich
Hi richnrockville,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Seagate GoFlex external hard drive that has a SATA to USB adapter, can i use that on my OS hard disk to transfer the files over to my laptop?
Most likely not a great idea. I would spring for one of those around $15 gadgets that plugs into the usb port and the other end to your hard disk (after you remove it from your computer. Then the hard disk will show up on your machine as another drive. Copy all the files you wish to save and then y ou should be in business.

Rich
I just saved $15, my brother had one of those adapters in a box of cables!

Thanks Rich!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help with personal file recovery before clean install.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is a clean install possible with recovery discs
Thanks for any assistance up front! I have an ASUS Slate B121 with the recovery discs which came with computer. I have done a reinstall of the software but did not get the options to do a clean install as seen in the tutorials on this subject. The other problem I ran into on the reinstall was the...
Installation & Setup
Can I Do A Clean Install of Windows 7 From Recovery Disks?
I have a 5/12 year old HP G70t-200 laptop, using windows home premium 64 bit. It has begun crashing all the time, while reading email, while watching videos, while on "go to webinar," etc. The computer only turns off when I push the power button. I have tried microsoft fixit, I have also used a...
Installation & Setup
Clean install windows 7 without recovery disks?
Hello there! My HDD on my HP dm4 laptop recently started giving me problems. Initially I got a "Hard Drive not found error" or an "Please install an operating system" error. I thought this might be a loose connection with the hard drive so I opened the backside and made sure it wasn't. But it...
Installation & Setup
only 'Windows Error Recovery' screen during clean install to SSD
I'm weeks of spasmodic attempts into replacing my old C-drive with a new SSD and a clean install of Win7, 32 bit, so there's a lot of history I will spare people - ask me if there's something you think might be pertinent. Here's the current loop: Following Sandisk's instructions on...
Installation & Setup
How to run F9 recovery after clean install.
Hi Guys ! I have Asus EeePC 1215B. Today I was installed Windows 7 from usb flash. I mean clean install. But now I cant run F9 recovery. When I am pressing F9 during boot it show Windows boot manager but system recovery from Asus not work :(. I dont delete hidden recovery partrition from HDD....
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App