Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it true that they do this?


01 Oct 2009   #1

None
 
 
Is it true that they do this?

Ok so let me start by saying that I am building my own computer from parts that I will be ordering off newegg. The specs of my pc will be something along the lines of a 1tb hard drive, 4gb memory, phenom 2 quad core processor, and all the good stuff you need to make a ballin computer.

Now, on to my question. As you all know, by building my own computer, it will not be coming with an operating system pre installed in it. Well since my mom works at Indiana University, I can get Windows 7 64 bit for real cheap, but if you read here (IUware Package) it says that you have to already have a previous version of windows installed on your computer to install windows 7. Im not very savvy when it comes to software, so could someone elaborate for me?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Oct 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Sounds like it is an upgrade key.

You are supposed to have a qualifying version of windows already.

It says 7 qualifies - you could install 7100RC - with a key ( it's free) and use that. MS are no longer providing the d/l of 7100 - you probably know someone who has one. I believe you can still get the keys - they only gave out 10 - so any one will do. Get it from your friend, or Ixquick for it.

Hard to believe there isn't a way to install on a blank HD - time will tell.

Once you have it installed - make an image and save it somewhere safe - just in case you need to reinstall sometime in the future - put the image back on instead.

Macrium Reflect free is a great free image program.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

It is an upgrade. From the Installation Notes (emphasis added):

Quote:
The DVDs require that a genuine version of Windows (XP, Vista, or 7) is already installed on the computer. They will not install on a blank hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Install windows 7 but don't activate it, then upgrade to windows 7..sounds daft i know but that's how it is done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #5

None
 
 

Ok wait so I download a free version of windows seven on the blank harddrive and then upgrade to the version that I buy?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Yes - you may need to activate it - that's why you need the RC 7100 - or any build that will activate with the RC keys.

You used to be able to do as matt suggested - have a feeling you can't do that anymore - unless it is activated.

( I hope you can still do the double install dance Matt mentioned - but there have been persistent rumors to the contrary).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Yes - you may need to activate it - that's why you need the RC 7100 - or any build that will activate with the RC keys.

You used to be able to do as matt suggested - have a feeling you can't do that anymore - unless it is activated.

( I hope you can still do the double install dance Matt mentioned - but there have been persistent rumors to the contrary).
honestly you still can, it's the tip for clean installing an upgrade version of Windows 7!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2009   #8

Windows7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matt0978 View Post
Install windows 7 but don't activate it, then upgrade to windows 7..sounds daft i know but that's how it is done.
MS has indicated that "trick" won't work this time with Windows 7. No one has the upgrade media yet to confirm, but I'd indeed not expect it to work.

You should be able to use the upgrade media coming from the (activated) Release Candidate, which they're still providing free keys for if you have the download itself.

The downside of that technique is if you need to install to a blank drive in the future, they'll no longer be activating the Release Candidate. But it should work for a few more months.

For an upgrade copy of Ultimate for $20 though, it's worth even going out and buying the low level version of XP or Vista if you need to though. It looks like the same people eligible for that deal could get Vista in a non-upgrade version for $20 if I understand correctly, and you could use the upgrade Windows 7 with that whenever you needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2009   #9

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by funkyfishs View Post
Ok wait so I download a free version of windows seven on the blank harddrive and then upgrade to the version that I buy?
Funky, from my understanding the RC1 and any further upgrades are no longer available for gratis in anticipation of the first public release in 2 weeks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2009   #10

W7 X-64 RTM,SUSE 11.1, XP PRO SP3 as a VM, VMware ESXi
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Sounds like it is an upgrade key.

You are supposed to have a qualifying version of windows already.

It says 7 qualifies - you could install 7100RC - with a key ( it's free) and use that. MS are no longer providing the d/l of 7100 - you probably know someone who has one. I believe you can still get the keys - they only gave out 10 - so any one will do. Get it from your friend, or Ixquick for it.

Hard to believe there isn't a way to install on a blank HD - time will tell.

Once you have it installed - make an image and save it somewhere safe - just in case you need to reinstall sometime in the future - put the image back on instead.

Macrium Reflect free is a great free image program.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
Note if you are doing an UPGRADE you don't actually have to have an "Activated" version of Windows - so you could "borrow" a copy of a qualifying previous version of windows, install the bare minimum, don't activate but just install your upgrade over the top of the old version. -- If you are installing a 64 bit version you'll need VISTA 64 bit version for upgrade, otherwise XB or Vista x-86 will do.

You'll have to do the upgrade immediately however as you might get a message "This copy of Windows must be activated within 3 days (not the normal 30) when you install the previous version of Windows before you do your upgrade.

You can still do a "Clean install" BTW but you still need a previous version of Windows to start the installation process.

(Note -- keep an ISO image copy of the previous version of Windows in case you need to wipe your disk and re-install your Windows 7 upgrade again).

I'm pretty sure that the "Upgrade" process doesn't check for "Activation" or even if the copy of Windows being upgraded came from a torrent -- MS would in any case be quite happy for people to replace torrent / pirate copies with legal ones anyway.

I can't check directly since my RTM copy of Windows is a full version obtained via TECHNET subscription. I'm not sure if there are any "Upgrade version only" disks out there to test this yet. If anybody has got an Upgrade only version please try this and post the results.



Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it true that they do this?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is it true that they do this?
Thread Forum
true?false General Discussion
Was it true? General Discussion
True Image 2011 vs True Image 2010 Software
True Starcraft Fix Gaming
strange.. but true! :( Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33