Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to figure out Windows Key after HD crash


09 Feb 2013   #1

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 
How to figure out Windows Key after HD crash

Hello everybody,

My old laptop crashed, the Hd needs to be replaced. There s a sticker on the back om laptop but

that s just unreadable....

I know there is a easy ways to figure this out when you have Windows up and running

There s a tool on the free software for windows link on this Forum
But that wont work for me,

I have a windows repair cd and I have an Active boot and Hirens boot tools cd avaible...

I would like to know if there s a way to figure this out

Thanks already in advance

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Feb 2013   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You can use License Crawler to crawl the registry and spit out most Microsoft Serials.

Click the Direct Download link under the green Download on the left.

http://download.cnet.com/License-Cra...-12684337.html

In your Case:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ That will allow you to scan a different hive for serials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #3

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

Is there a recovery manager you can access pressing ALT + F10 during post ?

If you hadn't tried it give that a go, if it works you can restore back to factory condition and the activation will be automatic via the BIOS.
If it asks for the default password for starting the recovery, its 6 zero's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Feb 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Machistmo View Post
You can use License Crawler to crawl the registry and spit out most Microsoft Serials.

Click the Direct Download link under the green Download on the left.

License Crawler - CNET Download.com

In your Case:

KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean That will allow you to scan a different hive for serials.
You can not use the factory OEM-SLP activation method Product Key that Belarc, may/may not find to reinstall Windows.
System Locked Pre-installation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

information   Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.

& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create


Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Manual how to use Acer eRecovery Management here:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/empowering_technology/NB%20ET2%20user's%20guide/Acer%20eRecovery%20Management%20English.pdf

Have you tried pressing <Alt+F10> at boot up, to goto the Acer eRecovery Management.
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/de...360faq40.shtml

You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:
https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

He asked if you could get the piece he needs and appears to have the recovery media from his original post. So even if it is system locked he will need at least the generic key which either of the above utilities would provide that generic key to him from his system. If it was put on with a Generic Key, that key will be recovered. Or should. I notice he didnt mention what OS he was using and I assumed 7 since these are the Seven Forums. I didnt see any seven generic keys contained in that link you posted.

Where does the OP say he has an Acer or more specifically that the PC in question is ACER?

Give the limited amount of information we have to go on I dont think anyone can assume its an SLP intall just yet. Maybe it is. But We have been given almost NO information on which to base anything. So being that he asked about using basic free utilities to yank a serial, I think the information provided was vaild.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Machistmo View Post
He asked if you could get the piece he needs and appears to have the recovery media from his original post. So even if it is system locked he will need at least the generic key which either of the above utilities would provide that generic key to him from his system. If it was put on with a Generic Key, that key will be recovered. Or should. I notice he didnt mention what OS he was using and I assumed 7 since these are the Seven Forums. I didnt see any seven generic keys contained in that link you posted.

Where does the OP say he has an Acer or more specifically that the PC in question is ACER?

Give the limited amount of information we have to go on I dont think anyone can assume its an SLP intall just yet. Maybe it is. But We have been given almost NO information on which to base anything. So being that he asked about using basic free utilities to yank a serial, I think the information provided was vaild.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Machistmo View Post
You can use License Crawler to crawl the registry and spit out most Microsoft Serials.

Click the Direct Download link under the green Download on the left.

License Crawler - CNET Download.com

In your Case:

KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean That will allow you to scan a different hive for serials.
You can not use the factory OEM-SLP activation method Product Key that Belarc, may/may not find to reinstall Windows.
System Locked Pre-installation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Name:  Acer spec one.PNG
Views: 6
Size:  11.1 KB

You would need the key from the COA.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

Is the COA sticker for Windows Vista or Windows 7? If its for Windows 7 and that's an OEM-SLP install, its like Theog said. Even if you manage to recover the key, you won't be able to use it. OEM-SLP keys will not activate online.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

And an even better - Acer's support page for that model

http://support.acer.com/us/en/produc...2&modelId=1228

NOTE: The OP never states clearly that the model listed as his system stats is the model in question. He says " My old laptop crashed, the Hd needs to be replaced. There s a sticker on the back om laptop but that s just unreadable...."

If he does need support for this unit he seems to be out of luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

As stated the OEM-SLP batch key used at factory will not work for Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

If you previously reinstalled using the COA key then it will be useable for reinstall if you can search the registry for it as suggested earlier.

If not your options are to order Recovery disks if you don't have them, or research the method to back up the factory SLP activation file to reinstall it after Clean Reinstall - an operation which is not supported here by order of the Administrator. You'd need to be able to rescue files from the faulty HD however, using Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to figure out Windows Key after HD crash




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Š Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33