Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer does not startup

27 Feb 2013   #51
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

You have a sub stick that can be rewritten totally? So all is gone afterwards. If so.... try this #2
Boot from the stick and post screenshot of partitions. Can't be so difficult!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Feb 2013   #52
C0RE O5IVE

Windows 7 Ultimate, Gentoo, Archlinux, HLFS, netBSD
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
You have a sub stick that can be rewritten totally? So all is gone afterwards. If so.... try this #2
Boot from the stick and post screenshot of partitions. Can't be so difficult!
Alright I booted the partition wizard home edition 7.0 from the .iso that i mounted onto the usb and this is the screen that I am at right now. Where do I go from here? What information did you want me to show you now?


Attached Thumbnails
Computer does not startup-img_0136.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #53
gregrocker

 

Rightclick on the large (Win7?) partition to Explore, see if your files and the Windows directory are still intact there.

If so, rightclick it again to Modify>Set to Active, click OK.

Then click on Disk 1 to highlight it, from Disk tab select Rebuild MBR, click OK, Apply both steps.

Reboot. If Win7 won't start, boot into the Win7 DVD or Repair CD to run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times

If you still have the Linux mess on the HD I would delete those partitions to give Win7 a better chance to recover from ruining it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2013   #54
C0RE O5IVE

Windows 7 Ultimate, Gentoo, Archlinux, HLFS, netBSD
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Rightclick on the large (Win7?) partition to Explore, see if your files and the Windows directory are still intact there.

If so, rightclick it again to Modify>Set to Active, click OK.

Then click on Disk 1 to highlight it, from Disk tab select Rebuild MBR, click OK, Apply both steps.

Reboot while removing Hiren's disk. If Win7 won't start, boot into the Win7 DVD or Repair CD to run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times

If you still have the Linux mess on the HD I would delete those partitions to give Win7 a better chance to recover from ruining it.
As you can see in the picture the partition is full. It has 916GB storage and 916GB used. I am not sure if that is the windows partition or not. I do not know how to check what files are inside the partition like you said "check if the windows directory is still intact there". What I showed you is the properties of the largest partition in disk 1 ... the 916GB partition.

What do you think I should do next?


Attached Thumbnails
Computer does not startup-img_0138.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #55
C0RE O5IVE

Windows 7 Ultimate, Gentoo, Archlinux, HLFS, netBSD
 
 

In the picture below I noticed something. Well I clicked partition recovery wizard at the top left of the partition recovery wizard home edition 7.0 -- I clicked quick scan of my entire disk. You can faintly see a disk named S3A7729 ... as the label and the status of that disk is lost/deleted. I can recall on my main operating system (windows 7 ultimate). That was the name of the hard disk -- The C drive. which was my main drive C local. I don't know if this has any relevance but would it be possible somehow recover that drive because I assume that in the process of installing arch linux I may have uninstalled the C drive from my computer or deleted it. Is it possible to recover it now?

You can also see that this hard disk is NTFS which is a boot option or whatever... So how can I recover it? All my information and file are on there. It was the main C drive that I used since I bought the laptop.


Attached Thumbnails
Computer does not startup-img_0140.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #56
C0RE O5IVE

Windows 7 Ultimate, Gentoo, Archlinux, HLFS, netBSD
 
 

God bless you all. I recovered the C drive... okay now I can see all the files on my drive. Glad I can now retrieve them... hopefully err somehow. Let me retrieve them now and now I guess I need help to re-install windows? Unless my windows 7 os is now recovered too... I will do all that now and give you a status update in a bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #57
C0RE O5IVE

Windows 7 Ultimate, Gentoo, Archlinux, HLFS, netBSD
 
 

Okay so this is my new drive map after recovery. Errm ... which one do I set to active and/or what do I do next?
I didn't mean to say new drive map. I meant to say this is the drive map that I had before I touched the linux installation. This is how it was before. What I am asking now is - Do I have to change anything here now (i.e set something to active etc...) or can I reboot my pc now and boot from the local hard disk, and will everything be okay?


Attached Thumbnails
Computer does not startup-img_0141.jpg   Computer does not startup-img_0142.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #58
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by C0RE O5IVE View Post
Okay so this is my new drive map after recovery. Errm ... which one do I set to active and/or what do I do next?
I didn't mean to say new drive map. I meant to say this is the drive map that I had before I touched the linux installation. This is how it was before. What I am asking now is - Do I have to change anything here now (i.e set something to active etc...) or can I reboot my pc now and boot from the local hard disk, and will everything be okay?
Delete the 2 small 3MB NTFS partitions, they are useless. Delete all ext4 parititions as well.
2NTFS partitions remain. Make them primary
Mark the large NTFS partition active (not the HDRECOVERY).
Do this http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...r/mbr-fix.html
Press apply. Post screenshot

rightclick on the 2 ntfs partitions ->explore. Do you see files? Try to reboot normally from harddisk

post results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #59
C0RE O5IVE

Windows 7 Ultimate, Gentoo, Archlinux, HLFS, netBSD
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by C0RE O5IVE View Post
Okay so this is my new drive map after recovery. Errm ... which one do I set to active and/or what do I do next?
I didn't mean to say new drive map. I meant to say this is the drive map that I had before I touched the linux installation. This is how it was before. What I am asking now is - Do I have to change anything here now (i.e set something to active etc...) or can I reboot my pc now and boot from the local hard disk, and will everything be okay?
Delete the 2 small 3MB NTFS partitions, they are useless. Delete all ext4 parititions as well.
2NTFS partitions remain. Make them primary
Mark the large NTFS partition active (not the HDRECOVERY).
Press apply. Post screenshot
How do I change the Local C drive disk from logical to primary? Where is the option for that?

But yea, when I click the two NTFS icons I can see all my files that I had from before!

But how do I change the local C drive disk from logical to primary?

RE: I don't know if you can see the picture to well but it doesn't let me set the S3A... partition to primary - the option is locked.


Attached Thumbnails
Computer does not startup-img_0143.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2013   #60
C0RE O5IVE

Windows 7 Ultimate, Gentoo, Archlinux, HLFS, netBSD
 
 

Hello?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer does not startup




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
computer startup problem
i am having aproblem with my computer, i have a HP computer with i3 processor, 8 gb RAM, geforce 320 graphicscard and 1TB HDD. (don't know if that info is helpfull). The computer wont go any further than the windows load screen, where it goes black and then starts the startup repair tool. the...
General Discussion
Cannot run anything on computer startup sometimes
I love my laptop but occasionally I get pretty ticked off when I'm using it. Anyways, for some unknown reason, a lot of the time when I log on to my computer, I try running a program but nothing happens. I don't even get the loading sign. I have to restart my computer about 7 times to get it to...
General Discussion
Can this bios startup item be disabled at computer startup
The attached jpg is the 1st item that launches in the bios screens at system star-up. This I think is the driver for a pci card I have installed in a slot in the box that controls (ie-adds another ide port) a second ide CD/DVD drive. Besides removing the card from the box...is there a way in...
Hardware & Devices
New Computer Startup Programs
Just unboxed an inexpensive Gateway Laptop. I'm looking to get rid of any unnecessary startup programs. Heres a screenshot of what I think I'm supposed to be looking at: While I'm at it, heres the startup programs from my sisters laptop: Thanks,
Performance & Maintenance
Computer freezes after startup
I think the problem is buggy anti-virus software McAtee.
BSOD Help and Support
'My computer's on win 7 startup
Every time I start windows 7, 4 My computer windows pop up for no reason. I just close them and then all is ok. It's a bit annoying and very weird. What do I need to do to get rid of them? What may have caused this?
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App