Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Set old hdd system boot/c drive as inactive for new ssd install

17 Mar 2013   #1

windows 7 pro 64
 
 
Set old hdd system boot/c drive as inactive for new ssd install

Performing a clean windows 7 install on a new ssd and want to set the old boot/c drive as inactive so I can use the old hdd for storage.

Going to unplug the old hdd to do the install but I want to know how to (unplug the new ssd drive and re-plug in the old hdd drive) set the old hdd boot/c drive as inactive so I can plug in both drives without boot problems.

Can I still keep all the data (partitioned into 3 drives) on the old hdd? I don't really want to format the c drive to deactivate it (or any partitions for that matter).

I've also got a system reserved hidden partition on the old hdd. Can I "allocate free space/merge" that into another old hdd partition afterwards?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Mar 2013   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

The correct way to uninstall an OS is always to delete its partition and System Reserved.

Keep the HD unplugged during Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to the SSD, then make sure SSD remains set first to boot after plugging back in the HDD.

To get the old HD cleanest I would move the data off and wipe it with Diskpart Clean Command, then repartition in Disk Mgmt. If this is not possible then you can move the data to another partition you shrink using Disk Mgmt or Partition Wizard Resize Partition - Video Help. Then Mark the Active Partition Inactive to delete System Reserved and C on HD, resize data partition into its space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2013   #3

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
The correct way to uninstall an OS is always to delete its partition and System Reserved.

Keep the HD unplugged during Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to the SSD, then make sure SSD remains set first to boot after plugging back in the HDD.

To get the old HD cleanest I would move the data off and wipe it with Diskpart Clean Command, then repartition in Disk Mgmt. If this is not possible then you can move the data to another partition you shrink using Disk Mgmt or Partition Wizard Resize Partition - Video Help. Then Mark the Active Partition Inactive to delete System Reserved and C on HD, resize data partition into its space.
...then make sure SSD remains set first to boot after plugging back in the HDD...

Do I do that in BOIS mode when I boot with both drives connected?

I don't want to delete anything on the old hdd c drive. Can I then copy c drive to free space on another partition on old hdd so I can delete/format my c drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Mar 2013   #4
Microsoft MVP

 

Set SSD first to boot in BIOS setup by tapping the key given for it on first screen, adjusting boot order priority.

I specifically told you how you could shrink C to move your data into a new data partition, then mark Inactive to delete C and System Reserved, resize the data partition into its space. Why am I having to type this again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #5

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Set SSD first to boot in BIOS setup by tapping the key given for it on first screen, adjusting boot order priority.

I specifically told you how you could shrink C to move your data into a new data partition, then mark Inactive to delete C and System Reserved, resize the data partition into its space. Why am I having to type this again?
Why do I have to shrink the c drive? Can't I just move what I want over to another partition on the old hdd and then set old c drive as inactive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

If you have the space, sure. You make it sound like everything's on C and its a lot.

If not then move the data to a data partition, delete C and then resize into the space. This is the way to correctly uninstall Windows 7 so you can reinstall it onto the SSD. There is no reason to keep Windows 7 unless you think you might want to go back to it on the HDD which you can wait to see, and doesn't require marking Inactive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #7

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you have the space, sure. You make it sound like everything's on C and its a lot.

If not then move the data to a data partition, delete C and then resize into the space. This is the way to correctly uninstall Windows 7 so you can reinstall it onto the SSD. There is no reason to keep Windows 7 unless you think you might want to go back to it on the HDD which you can wait to see, and doesn't require marking Inactive.
Fine. Just want to make sure I don't screw up the new ssd. So to confirm, I can plug the old hdd in with the new ssd after doing the new install with just the ssd plugged in.

Will I have that option to boot to the new ssd without having to go into BIOS? Or will it automatically detect 2 os and ask me?

And if I want to keep/see the old windows install on old c drive I can just reset boot order in BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

By keeping the old HDD unplugged during Windows 7 install to the SSD it won't configure a Dual Boot menu. Booting to choice of HD OS's in that case is strictly via the BIOS Boot menu.

Make sure the SSD is set to boot first in BIOS setup, then if you should need to boot the HDD Windows 7 for any reason (like something you forgot to back up) use the one-time BIOS boot menu key given on first screen to trigger it.

Look over the steps to assure you get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
which are the same for retail.

Since you'lll have your User folders on the HD if you wish to keep them there so your data doesn't take up SSD space, you can link each one by rightclicking it to add to the respective Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
Will I have that option to boot to the new ssd without having to go into BIOS?
Answer is NO - the bootorder you can only change in the BIOS. Either temporarily or permanently. See which Function keys give you BIOS access - it is on the first splash screen after power-on.

As far as your data on the HDD is concerned, I would first move it to an independent data partition on the HDD. Then you can easily use it from the OS on the SSD. Just right click on the top folders of Documents, Music, etc. and INCLUDE it into the respective library.

Once you are done with all of that and your OS on the SSD works correctly, you can delete the old C partition and system partition on the HDD. You should then also make an image of your SSD installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #10

windows 7 pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
By keeping the old HDD unplugged it won't configure a Dual Boot menu. Booting to choice of HD OS's in that case is strictly via the BIOS Boot menu.

Make sure the SSD is set to boot first, then if you should need to boot the HDD Windows 7 for any reason (like something you forgot to back up) use the one-time BIOS boot menu key given on first screen to trigger it.

Look over the steps to assure you get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
which are the same for retail.
...By keeping the old HDD unplugged...
I want to have both plugged in.

...Make sure the SSD is set to boot first...
The ssd will already be set to boot first if it's the only drive plugged in right?

Please somebody answer my question, Will I have the option to set the new ssd as first boot when I plug both in without having to go into BIOS? Or will it automatically detect 2 os and ask me?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Set old hdd system boot/c drive as inactive for new ssd install




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Set old hdd system boot/c drive as inactive for new ssd install
Thread Forum
Solved SSD (Boot system) Drive sometimes not recognised on boot Hardware & Devices
Solved Windows 7 Dual Boot Can't Access Inactive Partitions C: Drive Installation & Setup
Cant format old system drive after dual boot install Backup and Restore
Solved Change letter of the boot drive or the system drive General Discussion
Installed storage drive, now system drive will not boot Hardware & Devices
Solved I want to make my D drive the boot/operating system drive Installation & Setup
C drive is marked as inactive? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33